Nürburgring... finally

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Nürburgring... finally

Postby MikeD on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:30 am

Just in case I have been out of the loop for too long and need a little re-introduction, I've been living in Germany for a bit over 2 years now. Started a family, sold my Boxster. But of course, I still, and will always have Racer and Porsche in my veins.

Last weekend I finally made it to spectate at the Nürburgring -- we had planned to "swing by" on our way north however, it turned out to be the Qualification race for the "ADAC Zurich 24h race". Did not get a chance to see much of the Nordschliefe this time there. But the Grand Prix area was still fun to walk around and become familiar with.

Next steps:

• Drive the Nordschliefe on one of the Tourist Drive days.
  • Obtain a class "A" (or even "C") race license -- with Nordschliefe permit.
  • Race on the complete circuit.

Hopefully, each of those will not take 2+ years to complete :oops:
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Re: Nürburgring... finally

Postby lrayner on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks for posting Mike. I love hearing about these sorts of adventures, and daydreaming about doing the same :beerchug: ( those mugs are filled with Stone Berlin beer).
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Postby kjr914 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:11 pm

Mike,
About 5 years ago, I got my first taste of the Nordschleife via the Touristenfahrkarte. I'm not a gamer so I'd never even run it in simulation, and I got about 1/3 of the BMW turn-by-turn breakdown read the night before. I was woefully under prepared.

I used rentracecar.de to get a car (haha and I grabbed a helmet from them as I was leaving....it wasn't any requirement at all...), which was a Suzuki Swift 2 door with some of the interior stripped, slightly better tires and a single hoop roll bar bolted in.

It was simultaneously the most immensely exciting and the frickin' scariest bit of driving I've ever done. Dive-bomb passing by motorcycles and GT3's mid corner, immense closing speeds between supercars and the 140HP Suzuki Swift... I did 2 laps back-to-back and had to take a break for 15 min to get the heart rate down... :) before doing 2 more. Before I go back, I'll do more homework/simulation and be ready for it. Regardless, it was SOOOO worth it. :mrgreen:
Keith Rampmeier
2010- AX Instructor, PCA National DE Instructor
2017-18 SDR Board of Directors, Secretary
2013-2016 AX Equipment Co-Chair
#993 '96 911 C4S Polar Silber/Blk
Past Pcars: 914, 911 Carrera
kjr914
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:28 am

MikeD wrote: Next steps:

• Drive the Nordschliefe on one of the Tourist Drive days.
  • Obtain a class "A" (or even "C") race license -- with Nordschliefe permit.
  • Race on the complete circuit.

Hopefully, each of those will not take 2+ years to complete :oops:

Good to hear from you, Mike! Those are some nice "bucket list" items you have planned. Have a great time achieving them!

Cheers,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby MikeD on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:34 pm

lrayner: Thanks for the beer, love it. My brother-law has me hooked on some of the Bavarian beer, but will have to give "Stone Berlin" a shot.

kjr914: I understand what you are saying. On one hand I want to be surprised as that's part of the experience. On the other, I'd really like to be as prepared as possible. At the moment, I think the wife will be OK with me taking out daily-driver Mini Countryman SD ALL4 for the touristenfahrten. Anything more than that though, and I would likely have to rent... or even buy a track toy.

ttweed: Thanks Tom. I think they'll be fun to pick off as well.

BTW, did anyone happen to catch the ADAC 24h Nürburgring this past weekend? 24 hours of racing and it was decided on the last lap, after the lead car missed the checker by 35 seconds. Very exciting to watch.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions