Great AX today

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Great AX today

Postby jbrennen on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:I am hearing this a lot lately... and not finding it amusing.
Just because YOU are losing doesn't mean the other guy is cheating.
It means he designed a smarter build and drove it better than you did.

So next time I hear "cheater" come out of someone's mouth I expect them to be ready to put up their $50 protest fee.

For what it's worth, I meant it in the same spirit as "cheater shoes" or "cheater shirt"...

Sorry if that wasn't clear...
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:03 pm

And here I thought you were referring to all the ribbing Erik was getting at Saturday's award ceremony :mrgreen: .
Just goes to show how easily misunderstood a forum post can be.
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby jbrennen on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes, and this is all you need to know that the car is in fact totally in compliance with all rules and regulations:

Steve Grosekemper wrote:I knew Erik was going to be a BRI problem when he and Mark started building that car in the shop.
I did the points math and knew I wasn't going to be able to hold on to that BRI trophy for long.

(If an authority on both the rules and the particular car build is okay with it, then so am I...)

Great driving by Erik, and nice to finally have a chance to make his acquaintance on Saturday as we talked on the back of the course-workers' truck.

Back to talking about what a "Great AX" it was... The fact that I won the closest contested class of the day by 0.03 seconds is what I most remember, not the fact that Erik was 0.63 seconds faster than me. See, I had to look that one up, unlike the 0.03 which I will remember all year. :)
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby Erik K on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Marcus and Andrew, as soon as I saw this event's track map posted, I knew you guys were onto something good! I've done a lot of autocross's in the crumbling Q parking lot over the years, But no doubt this was one of, if not the funnest tracks I've driven. I really liked the challenge of getting through the "lane change/gates" quickly, compromising certain parts of them in order to stay on line and carry as much speed as possible through them. Continuing through the lap, just when you thought the fun was done, man that Slalom looked like a brain teaser on paper! But with the cone spacing a little longer, you could actually carry good speed though them, made for a nice challenge at the end of the lap.

Quick note on my SC.. have you ever eaten a REALLY good authentic Italian pizza? With all the key Ingredients working together for an outstanding combination/taste, Not one ingredient over powering another. This is what I would compare my SC to, small tweaks to each performance department (suspension, tires, exhaust (stock engine internals)) It's a very well balance package, and No it doesn't bother me, people teasing "cheater car" But it is well within its class, and has room to spare :D Steve G's got my Back :beerchug: 8)

Great event, enjoyed rubbing shoulders with some new people. Everyone I talked to was stoked on the track layout :rockon:

Here's a video of my cheater lap, in my cheater car, with my cheater tires. Maybe I could have clicked off a 1:14.99 if I had worn my Cheater gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8UwvxYL-bY

Erik Kinninger
Erik K
Time Trialer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Erik, we know you car is legal, it's the beanie hat propeller on your helmet that's cheating :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:33 pm

I have tried to avoid the "cheater" moniker in the most fool proof way possible. I handed Steve (who has spun wrenches on my car many times and knows it very well) the dyno sheet and asked him to point it for me.
Now about my shoes......
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby jgunn on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Wonderful track, Great day and great people. Loved the Speed maintenance aspects and the couple of spots where you could apply power. Slalom felt a little awkward to me, but it helped keep things under control down at the finish area.

Thanks everyone for putting on a great event.

Erik -- The BRI clearly needs adjustment, or the drivers all need adjustment:-)

The new car was really fun to drive, and more fun with all the nannies turned off. Here is my last run (not the fastest).

https://youtu.be/Vy873Ndy1Ws
James Gunn-Wilkinson
jgunn
Autocrosser

Postby mtcurran on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:56 am

Regarding all the good feedback I've seen and received about the April 23rd AX, thank you.
Marcus Kramer and Andrew Simmons are two extremely bright individuals who continue to not only design fun,innovative, and challenging AX tracks, but work their butts off setting them up with the help of my awesome AX Team members. We will continue with the new style track design for the next couple events since it was so successful.
With regard to the last two posts from Jack and Steve, I do not blame Jack for his comment as he points out the ridiculous level it has reached, and I agree with Steve. The whole "cheater car" "cheater hat" "cheater shoes" "cheater tires" that are consistently used at the post awards ceremony, has gotten old and tired. I never saw the humor in the comments from the beginning, that's just my take on the subject.
Kind regards,
Mark
PCASDR AX Chairman
Mark T. Curran
Curran Pool Services
2014 AX Corner Working Chair
2015 2016 2017 AX Chair
2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 DE CDI
2023 TT CDI
2021 2022 2023 DE/TT Chair
1978 911SC Track Car
2009 Cayenne Turbo S
2011 Carrera 4S
2012 Cayman R
mtcurran

Re: Great AX - photos needed

Postby Greg Phillips on Thu May 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Anybody shoot some photos at this AX and anyone interested in writing an article about the event? :surr:

Thanks
Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions