Call for Zone 8 Rules Change Proposals for 2017

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Call for Zone 8 Rules Change Proposals for 2017

Postby jgunn on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:42 am

Welcome to showroom stock. Please replace your stock tires??

Pretty soon there will be no SS
James Gunn-Wilkinson
jgunn
Autocrosser

Postby JayG on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:58 am

EricMarc-Aurele wrote:I think the rules have been finalized and decided on. http://www.zone8.org/assets/docs/2016/Rules/RuleProposals-VoteResults.pdf
CC07 here I come!

Yes, effectively call it the end of participation in SS classes
Probably we will see a drop in the number of participants as well
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby jbrennen on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Anxiously awaiting the first announcement of a 220 treadwear "cheater tire" available in OEM Porsche tire sizes... :)
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby martinreinhardt on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:14 pm

JayG wrote:
EricMarc-Aurele wrote:I think the rules have been finalized and decided on. http://www.zone8.org/assets/docs/2016/Rules/RuleProposals-VoteResults.pdf
CC07 here I come!

Looks like the attendance drop has already started. I don't think it's due to the SS class changes yet. Historically, the event after a PDS is high attendance, but not after this last PDS. Looks like someone will have to look into this trend before we call the X-cars back :roll:
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby jgunn on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Why bother with SS when the desired result is to push people to CC? Just have a Novice classification for new drivers.

Tell them Porsche does not sell a car capable of racing in stock form, and to reach out to all the tuners who can properly prepare them and the car for competition...
James Gunn-Wilkinson
jgunn
Autocrosser

Postby Gary Burch on Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:11 am

martinreinhardt wrote:
JayG wrote:
CC07 here I come!

Looks like the attendance drop has already started. I don't think it's due to the SS class changes yet. Historically, the event after a PDS is high attendance, but not after this last PDS. Looks like someone will have to look into this trend before we call the X-cars back :roll:

the reason attendance is down is really quite simple...
the parking lot we run in is a total catastrophe.
chunks, I mean big chunks, bouncing off your car, gravel, bumpy, tire eating uneven surfaces, and those are the good parts.
all the credit in the world goes to the track designers and ax team for minimizing as much as they can, but if I had a new porsche I would be hard pressed to bring it out there
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby jgunn on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:12 am

Too true Gary. The Q/Murph is just so bad now days.

With El Toro going away, and the Q's condition so poor and future so uncertain, driverless cars coming soon to our streets, etc. -->. I think there is a real need in San Diego for a dedicated Motorsport facility. Topic for another thread I guess
James Gunn-Wilkinson
jgunn
Autocrosser

Postby mrondeau on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Two things:
1. I know it's a thankless job and I applaud the volunteer effort, but these are the rules that were approved? I seem to remember some more relevant rules proposals with better language and reasoning being unilaterally shut out last year. :banghead:

2. When will the zone classification site be updated?
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby kleggo on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Gary Burch wrote:
the reason attendance is down is really quite simple...
the parking lot we run in is a total catastrophe.
chunks, I mean big chunks, bouncing off your car, gravel, bumpy, tire eating uneven surfaces, and those are the good parts.
all the credit in the world goes to the track designers and ax team for minimizing as much as they can, but if I had a new porsche I would be hard pressed to bring it out there

Spot on (though catastrophe may be a bit harsh).
That is why I stopped attending.

Cheers

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby jbrennen on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 am

Just an update on what SS tires might be worth looking at for 2017 -- that is, if anybody still plans to run SS...

For the "other car" autoX on Saturday, I ran on my street tires, which are Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. They will be SS legal in 2017, unlike many of the other tires we've seen in SS in 2016.

I had the 3rd fastest Porsche time of the day in my Cayman GTS, behind a couple of GT3s. I was about 2 seconds off from Mike Avitt's GT3 on RE-71Rs.

All of which is to say, based on objective results and my subjective feel behind the wheel, I think that the Michelin PSS is a pretty good autoX tire for having a TW rating over 200 (they have a 300 TW rating). They also held up very well -- no signs of chunking, tearing, abnormal wear, or any other problems that you would expect from a lesser tire.

The main issue with using them might be whether you can get them in your car's exact stock tire dimensions. For my Cayman GTS, for most of the past two years, the Michelin PSS wasn't available from Tire Rack in my stock size. Now they're showing limited availability of 2011 Production front tires in my stock size. I'm not particularly interested in buying 5 year old tires, even if they've been sitting in a warehouse for 5 years. The tires I ran on Saturday were stock dimensions +10mm width, where the 10mm gives a much wider selection of decent tires than the standard dimensions. (For reasons I don't completely understand, 245 and 275 are more common section width numbers than 235 and 265.)

Other alternatives would be to buy a set of OEM 981 19-inch wheels, and use the 19-inch 981 Cayman standard factory wheel size and tire size. That might be an option for some; I already bought a set of OEM 987 19-inch wheels that I've been using, and the rules don't permit such "backdating" to a previous generation of car.

So if you still want to run SS in 2017, the Pilot Super Sport might be decent, if it comes in your factory size, or if you're willing to change wheels to another optional wheel for your model that does work.
Jack Brennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby Andrew Raines on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:21 am

Andrew Raines
Autocrosser

Postby JayG on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:30 am

Didn't people have chunking issues with PSS at the last PDS?
I know there were some issues, just don't remember the details now

As a side note, can we find out exactly who voted for and against the rule changes?
Jay Gedanken
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby jbrennen on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:12 pm

JayG wrote:Didn't people have chunking issues with PSS at the last PDS?

I believe those were with the Pilot Sport PS2, not the Pilot Super Sport. My PSS tires looked amazing after 15 runs on Saturday.

Also, for what it's worth, the PSS tires seem to like relatively low pressures, similar to the RE-71R. My fastest timed run was my first run, with tire pressures probably around 29-30 PSI all around.

As Andrew points out, there's a replacement tire for the PSS coming in March -- hopefully that one is even better. I hope they didn't give up any of the durability of the PSS.
Jack Brennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby JayG on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:17 pm

jbrennen wrote:

I believe those were with the Pilot Sport PS2, not the Pilot Super Sport. My PSS tires looked amazing after 15 runs on Saturday.

Also, for what it's worth, the PSS tires seem to like relatively low pressures, similar to the RE-71R. My fastest timed run was my first run, with tire pressures probably around 29-30 PSI all around.

As Andrew points out, there's a replacement tire for the PSS coming in March -- hopefully that one is even better. I hope they didn't give up any of the durability of the PSS.

and its a 201 TW :banghead:
Jay Gedanken
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby kleggo on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:27 pm

jbrennen wrote:

I like the PSS on my Audi Avant.
I did one other car AX with them last year and had fun with decent grip and no chunking.

I would like to run SS, at least for DE events, but it is challenging finding "legal" tires for a 12 year old car.
2004 GT3

Well, you can find them for a 12 year old car, but most of the choices are 12 year old, (or older) technology.
Sigh
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions