SCCA Driving School

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

SCCA Driving School

Postby Ted Myrus on Sat May 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Haven't been to an SCCA event since getting my Regional license at Bridgehampton a VERY long time ago :!: Trevor attended an SCCA driving school the first week in May. It consisted of two nights of ground school and Saturday 5/7 at the Q. I met Trevor at the stadium (I drove his 944 down). It was a well run event. Started and ended on time. There was a student limit of 50 and probably 100 people in attendance (students, instructors and workers). Interestingly they only use part of the West lot. Parking, pits, registration, equipment trailer, etc. The rest of the lot was divided into two separate courses. 25 students on each one and then they swap places and experience the other course. The start and finish of each course is defined by yellow cones. They lay down cones to indicate which side of a cone (gate) you should be on. Timing was done with lights and they had two digital displays. The PA system was very good and the person speaking used a hand held microphone. You are issued a timing slip when you complete your run. They provide loaner helmets if necessary, but don't charge for them. They retain your drivers license to ensure return of their helmet. After lunch (included) they combine the two courses into one large one. Instructors, in their own cars, take students for a fast lap. Then the instructor rides with the student in the students car until days end. A water truck wasn't necessary, as it rained at the very first session.
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions