AUTOCROSS & QDE 4/30-5/1

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

AUTOCROSS & QDE 4/30-5/1

Postby Gary Burch on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:15 pm

There will be an AX on 4/1 followed by a QDE( with paid cornerworkers!!!) 0n 5/1.

You can pre-pay for both events for a cost of $100.00. $40 for the AX and $60 for the QDE. If you pay the day of the event the AX is $60 and the QDE is $80. Or you can pre-register for a single event at the reduced price. There is a limit on the QDE entries so get your registration in.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

AX & QDE

Postby Mark Garriott on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:36 pm

Shucks.

I just sent in pre-payment for AX and DE. The AX was shown as $40, but the DE was listed as $80. Do I get a refund or extra laps?
Mark Garriott
Autocrosser

Postby pdy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:36 am

Say wouldn't that be 5/0 for the autocross (or maybe 4/30)?
pdy
Time Trialer

Re: AX & QDE

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:12 am

Mark Garriott wrote:Shucks.

I just sent in pre-payment for AX and DE. The AX was shown as $40, but the DE was listed as $80. Do I get a refund or extra laps?

If you sent a check, you can most likely re-write a check on the Saturday A-X for $100.00, Reg. will destroy the old check, and you'll get the discount. If you pre-paid by credit card, Reg will adjust the charges. Write a note Stephanie Steiner (see Contacts page), our pre-reg Goddess, and she'll get thing done for you.

As for extra laps, I think you'll get plenty of seat time. Based on last year's QDE's you'll run out of tires, fuel, and brakes before you run out of seat time :o .

See you 4/30/05
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby TheStig on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:35 am

ok so the Auto-x is on the 30th and the DE May 1? BLAH!!!! I have a final at 8 am I can't make the auto-x!!! :(
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby bryanearll on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:34 am

Equipment Question

I saw in the rules that in the SS/S and SS Driver's Ed rules that a "factory" standard seat belt MAY be allowed by the event chair for the Novice Class. Gary, can I get a ruling on this for the QDE event on the 1st.

Additionally, mounting a fire extinguisher in my car sounds pretty unpleasent. I know Kary had one that mounted at the seat but removing the seat sounds pretty involved. Are there any velcro and strap mounts that are more temporary?

Final question, I presume the course for a DE is substantially different from an AX to allow passing at various points. In the Novice group, how many cars are allowed on the course at any one time?
bryan
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:19 pm

bryanearll wrote:Equipment Question

I saw in the rules that in the SS/S and SS Driver's Ed rules that a "factory" standard seat belt MAY be allowed by the event chair for the Novice Class. Gary, can I get a ruling on this for the QDE event on the 1st.

Additionally, mounting a fire extinguisher in my car sounds pretty unpleasent. I know Kary had one that mounted at the seat but removing the seat sounds pretty involved. Are there any velcro and strap mounts that are more temporary?

Final question, I presume the course for a DE is substantially different from an AX to allow passing at various points. In the Novice group, how many cars are allowed on the course at any one time?
bryan

Bryan:

Gary needs to make the call for the seatbelt/restraint system.

As to the fire extinguisher, no "straps" or "velcro" would be permitted. The standard mounting hardware should be metal: ie, metal bracket that holds the extinguisher (with metal strapping that hold the extinguisher to the bracket), and metal hardware that hold the bracket to the car: ie, steel or aluminum u-bolts around a harness bar; or, aluminum or steel braces that bolt under the seat in front of the passenger seat. I'm not an expert on the seat-bolts of a 996, but my brother-in-law was able to build his own bracket-holding sytem out of 3 aluminum pieces, and remove/replace the front seat-bolts of his 996 to mount that system. It shouldn't be too tough. The extinguisher should always be in reach of the driver when the driver is in the driving position. The brace that Kary sells is a good one. He could probably tell you how quick it is to install. I think it's quite possible that, if you can change your motor oil, you could put that brace in, IMHO.

The typical number of drivers in a novice/student grouping is somewhere between 12 and 15 drivers. Last year we had an average of 11 in the yellow QDE run groups. Often the Student groups have older Porsches, so a 996 would be one of the faster vehicles in that group, based on last year's participants. You'll probably have to worry about who you pass :wink:

I hope this helps.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:59 pm

I believe you need to remove 2 bolts, slide the fire extinguisher mount between the floor and the seat rail and re-install the bolts. Should be a five minute job, not something to stress over. Changing the oil in a 996 is an entirely different beast :roll:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Bryan

Dan is right on the extinguisher. You will get a grace period of 2 QDE's with stock belts. You will also need to get a competition permit. You can get that from Vince [url]<vvvince@aol.com>. You also need 6 ax's or 4ax's and a driver's school.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby MarthaMc on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:02 am

Let me just clarify a little bit the pricing structure for the upcoming AX and QDE.

Fees:
AX Pre-pay = $40.00
AX Walk-up/same day = $60.00
QDE Only Pre-pay = $80.00
QDE Only Walk-up/same day = $80.00
QDE with AX previous day = $60.00

There is no discount in price for pre-pay for the QDE. You only get the discount if you pre-pay for both the AX and the QDE.
Martha and Stephanie (pre-pay registrars)
MarthaMc
Autocrosser

Postby Rsylvestri on Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:08 am

Gary,

I think you answered my first question already, I have 5 AX's and the Driving school behind me. I havn't been checked out and signed off as a non-student yet but have done 2 AX's without an instructor.
I can only go for one day (wife :roll: ) I want to do my first DE. I have 5 point belts, harness bar & fire ext. mounted, will I be OK pre-registering for the DE only? Can I get the competion permit from Vince there at the Q?

Thanks, Rick
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:59 am

There might be a little confusion about permit requirements. Here's a cut-and-paste fromt he Competition Rules page:

ENTRANT PERMIT PROCEDURES (Time Trials Only)

There will be three basic groups of drivers - Novice, Experienced and Instructors.

A. To be considered "Experienced" and allowed to compete without an instructor, an entrant must have a current PCA Zone 8 COMPETITION PERMIT. Other driving credentials will be recognized as qualifying a driver to obtain a current PCA Zone 8 COMPETITION PERMIT (fee $10.00). These include a current PCA Zone 7 COMPETITION PERMIT, a current Porsche Owners Club competition permit, or current license from recognized racing organization (PCA Club Racing, POC Cup Racing SCCA, FIA, etc. -- subject to the Zone 8 Competition committee approval). Competition Permit renewal requires the applicant to have held a permit in the prior 24 months AND present evidence that he/she has participated in at least one Time Trial/Drivers Ed or faster event in the last 24 months. The applicant’s statement of event participation will suffice. Equivalent non-PCA events may qualify. If the renewal candidate does not meet these requirements, he/she will need to have approval on a checkout ride by a Time Trial and/or Driver Education Instructor.

B. Drivers will remain in the Novice category until they have had:

1. At least four (4) days of Zone 8 Time Trial and/or Driver Education experience or an equivalent.

2. Been signed off by a Time Trial and/or Driver Education Instructor as having successfully completed each day.

3. Recommended by a Time Trial and/or Driver Education Instructor as qualified to move to the Experienced category.

C. To participate as a Novice in a Time Trial, the driver shall demonstrate that he/she has competed in at least six (6) days of PCA Autocross type events within the past two years. This experience shall be accumulated over a period of at least 12 months, but not more than 30 months. Non-PCA events may be acceptable. Participation in a recognized driving school is encouraged. The driver shall satisfy the Event Chair (or designee) of his/her qualifications prior to participating.

D. Novice Procedures

1. Safety and learning are highly emphasized, not competition.

2. Separate practice sessions will be provided for "Novice" drivers.

3. Instructors will accompany "Novice" drivers for at least the first three practice sessions.

4. All "Novice" cars will have an "X” placed across their rear window or in plain view on the rear of the car.

5. At the completion of the "Novice training,” (4 DE/TT events under Instructor supervision)* each driver's card will be signed-off by the Chief Driving Instructor or her/his designee, and a Zone 8 Competition Permit will be issued. (Fee: $10.00)

E. Instructor/Novice Procedures

1. Whenever possible instructors will be assigned to novice drivers before the event. It would be best if these assignments were made prior to pre-tech so the instructors can help/advise the Novice driver throughout the entire learning process.

2. Instructors/Novices should be from the same region so that a sponsorship type relationship can be developed to encourage the Novice.

* My addition for clarification

So, if you are a Student, or you're driving your first DE, you'll be a Novice and be accompanied by and Instructor for the day. (Note: Be sure to have a 5-point harness system in the passenger seat for the Instructor, too! No 5-point, no Instructor. No Instructor, no participation for Students/Novices). :shock: :cry:

Be sure you have good to great brake pad thickness, fresh brake fluid, and fairly fresh to really fresh motor oil and tires. Continuous laps are a bit more demanding on these vehicle elements, especially at the Q with rough asphalt.

Looking forward to seeing you there.
Dan Chambers
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby shsteiner on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:21 am

Please note: deadline for pre-pay for AX and/or DE is Wednesday, April 27, no later than 8 p.m.

Also, I am leaving town at 5 a.m. Thursday morning, so will not be checking email again after I download the last of the faxes Wednesday night. If you have any questions/comments/concerns please contact Martha McGowan. Thank you!

cheerily yours,
-stephanie
shsteiner

Postby Rsylvestri on Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks Dan,

Sooooooo... what your saying is that I can do the DE without a competion permit since I'm a Novice, am I correct in this ASSumption?
I do have 5 points for the non-steering passenger. If this is not the case as far as a comp. permit whats my next step?
TIA
Rick Sylvestri
'76 Carrera 3.0 #418 CC07
'95 993 C4, sold
'77 911S targa 3.2
'09/'10/'11/12' TT Tech chair
Rsylvestri
Time Trialer

Postby Gary Burch on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:06 pm

When you pay your $10, you get a log book that your future instructors give an review of your track time. They list the things you did well and the things you need to work on. After you get the required track days in, you show the book to Vince and he issues you a permit.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions