HANS Shopping Advice

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

HANS Shopping Advice

Postby Andrew Raines on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 am

It is time to buy a HANS device. I have zero knowledge on what to look for and avoid. Advice is requested, such as:

Where to buy.
Make certain (fill in the blank)
Don't worry about (fill in the blank)
Things you wish you had known before your purchase. Thanks all!!

Andrew
Andrew Raines
Autocrosser

Re: HANS Shopping Advice

Postby mrondeau on Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Andrew,

I've had mine since 2008. It was a gift from my then girlfriend, now wife, Katina. We got it from Stand 21 at a POC event at Laguna Seca. They were great. Fitted the Hans to me, my helmet and my car and made all the adjustments. I've switched cars and helmets since then and whenever I find them at an event (usually CFOS), they've been great about checking everything out for me.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby marcus981 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:15 am

Hey Andrew,

I only had a chance to try on two different options at C2 (shortly before they closed).

Peter and I both found the "HANS II" less uncomfortable (you read that right) than the "Zamp Z-Tech," even though the Zamp had several adjustments. I've gotten used to wearing the HANS though, and it doesn't really bother me that much anymore.

I'm a little skeptical that the weight reduction in the newer HANS III is worth the extra cost (I don't notice the weight factor all), but a friend said that they also made some other minor tweaks to the design for III vs. II.

We decided to get the sliding post style attach points since they are less bulky on your helmet, and we use the same helmets without the HANS for AX.

If I had to buy again, I would probably try the quick click connector option instead. With the sliding posts that we have, the metal buckles on the strap can sometimes limit the already reduced range of head turning motion (depends on the buckle's angle). It can also be tricky to undo the sliding posts with your helmet on, so I usually get out of the car first, then pull my helmet off with the HANS still attached. In fact, I just leave the HANS attached to my helmet for the entire track weekend to avoid the hassle.

I'm not sure if you were planning on using the HANS for AX too, but at least for the one that we have, I don't think you would have enough side-to-side visibility. Not sure if other options are any better. Hopefully more people chime in with their experience.

Good luck!
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Postby martinreinhardt on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:38 am

I got my HANS Professional device from Stand21 http://www.stand21na.com they will help you with the fit. I believe all devices now come with sliding teathers, if not request it, is a must have. Personally, I would only get a carbon model, not the heavier composite, and not any 3rd party non FIA approved device.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby lrayner on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm planning on bringing my Necksgen, which I am selling, to the next AX so check it out and see what you think. However, if you have F1 ambitions, I don't think it is FIA approved...
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Postby marcus981 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Andrew,

The "Sliding Tethers" video on the Stand21 website shows a good example of what I was talking about with the buckle interference.

http://www.stand21na.com/products.r-2/hans.r-68/

In that video, the driver's head is tilted down as he turns his head to look left. That makes the buckle rotate downward as he turns to look left, avoiding the issue. However, if his head were more level while he turned his head to the left, then the buckle could remain straight (horizontal) and run into the rear rigid structure before reaching the limit of the sliding tether. I've experienced that a few times, and it can be frustrating. I even had the buckle pop out (disconnect) once when that happened, but I have since fixed that issue by adjusting the angle of the locking mechanism. Anyway, that's the reason I was recommending to consider the other main attach option (quick clip style tether), since it shouldn't have either issue (but may have other drawbacks).
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions