Back Country Roads Tour Suggestions

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Back Country Roads Tour Suggestions

Postby twitte on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:43 am

Here are a few suggestions that came to mind after returning from the tour yesterday:
1. When posting the event on Motorsportreg.com put in the total amount of time anticipated for the tour. The event registration for yesterday"s tour said it would last 4 hours (start at 8 am and end at noon).
2. When announcing the event on the website or in Motorsportreg.com put down the total miles to be driven and approximate time to complete the event from the starting point to the finishing point or lunch destination (allowing for stops, etc.).
3. Also tell the approximate location of the finishing point so people will know how many hours or miles they will need to allow for their trip back home.
4. There was one road that we seem to keep going on for the tours that I could have done without. This is the very narrow (barely room for 2 cars to pass each other) Eagle Peak Road.
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Re: Back Country Roads Tour Suggestions

Postby KeithV on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 am

Ted,
Thank you for your suggestions - the way we continue to improve is by requesting, and listening to, feedback.
Your suggestion regarding posting overall time or a general destination for each tour is valid - thank you. At the time the ad was written (3 months ago) neither the tour route nor the destination had been determined - hence the general statement "This tour will finish at an ideal location for lunch at around noon".
Requests have been received recently from tour participants that we change from starting and finishing at North County Fair which is something that was previously done specifically to provide a central finishing point. This time we tried something different and finished away from the originating point.
Regarding Eagle Peak Road, sorry to hear you did not enjoy it. Both the last time we drove it and again yesterday, it was heralded by a large number of drivers as being the highlight of the tour and one of the best back roads in San Diego County. In fact I have received several requests to drive it again.
In an attempt to provide variety on each tour, I work hard to try and ensure a mix of tight twisty roads, some broad sweepers some cruising roads and some switchback. The objective being to have something that drivers at all levels can enjoy.
Your post contains nothing to indicating that the tour was in any way a positive experience - perhaps you would be interested in improving SDR tours by helping to run them. I would certainly appreciate the help.
I hope to hear from you soon.
All the best. KV.
Keith Verlaque
2007 GT3 - Black/yellow
http://www.rsamerica.net
KeithV
Autocrosser

Re: Back Country Roads Tour Suggestions

Postby twitte on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks Keith for the reply and for putting on a great tour yesterday. I DID have a lot of fun and enjoyed the very scenic route. These tours are always my favorite events. Finishing at different locations is a very good idea.

I don't know if I can offer anything new if I helped "run" the tours. Taking and posting videos and photos seems to be about all I can handle right now.

Thanks again.

Ted
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions