Autocross map for 6/12/16

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Autocross map for 6/12/16

Postby cag4 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:24 pm

+1 on what Eric, Marcus and Jay said... these experimental hybrid track layouts are works in progress, but to-date have been really well received. Strongly urge everyone to try more than one event before deciding one way or the other. My experience was that the first one was a bit of a shock to the system, but grew on me quickly, and each one has been fun and challenging since.

The way I see it, Auto-cross is a combination of strategy (figuring out the line) and execution (driving it consistently as quickly as possible). With these new, more open elements, strategy becomes a much more important part of the fun, as there are simply more options for the optimum driving line based on car, setup and driver, which I enjoy.

Charles
Charles Gillespie
2004 996 GT3 “SL8 GT3”
2001 996 C2 “RTR0996”
1970 911 RSR “70RSR”
cag4
Autocrosser

Postby jenniferreinhardt on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:14 pm

marcus981 wrote:For those who attended the prior two AX's (April and May), Mark very clearly announced that we were trying something new, and we would take the events one and a time when deciding if we would carry this new style forward. Based on the glowing reviews from the prior two events, we that's precisely what we have done.

For those Drivers who were not able to attend the April and May Autocrosses and hear the track design announcement, (or for that matter raise their hand indicating they did not prefer the track walk), it would have been thoughtful to involve the AX Member Drivers more with a poll and a post on the forum, as well as an email blast using the AX Driver database emails through MotorsportReg.
Last edited by jenniferreinhardt on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer Reinhardt
'07 Cayman S ~ #504 CC11
Past ~ Board of Directors, AX Registration, Social, '90 964 Carrera 2, and '99 986 Boxster
jenniferreinhardt
Time Trialer

Postby jenniferreinhardt on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

JayG wrote:As far as the new open design,m I was speaking with someone who commented that at one of the OC events a bunch of experienced SDR drivers were DNF because they could not stay on the course.

Hah that is funny! But, you could also say that when other region Drivers drive AX with us, they do not always shine as brightly either.
Jennifer Reinhardt
'07 Cayman S ~ #504 CC11
Past ~ Board of Directors, AX Registration, Social, '90 964 Carrera 2, and '99 986 Boxster
jenniferreinhardt
Time Trialer

Postby JayG on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 pm

jenniferreinhardt wrote:
JayG wrote:As far as the new open design, I was speaking with someone who commented that at one of the OC events a bunch of experienced SDR drivers were DNF because they could not stay on the course.

Hah that is funny! But, you could also say that when other region Drivers drive AX with us, they do not always shine as brightly either.

I would think that a fully coned course would be easier for them, not harder

If we are going to poll member drivers, this forum is not the best place as many (most?) don't frequent it
We probably have to do it at the actual events
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby jenniferreinhardt on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:37 pm

JayG wrote:
jenniferreinhardt wrote:[quote="JayG"

If we are going to poll member drivers, this forum is not the best place as many (most?) don't frequent it

All this could be done through Motorsport Reg or the Windblown Witness as well.
Jennifer Reinhardt
'07 Cayman S ~ #504 CC11
jenniferreinhardt
Time Trialer

Postby JayG on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:47 pm

jenniferreinhardt wrote:
JayG wrote:
jenniferreinhardt wrote:[quote="JayG"

All this could be done through Motorsport Reg or the Windblown Witness as well.

Perhaps on the event registration page as anyone running in the event has to use it.
Any other place would not get 100% exposure to the participants
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby Robert Joe on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:11 pm

jenniferreinhardt wrote:
JayG wrote:As far as the new open design, I was speaking with someone who commented that at one of the OC events a bunch of experienced SDR drivers were DNF because they could not stay on the course.

A driver always has an advantage driving on their home course. They are used to the layout, elements and grip conditions and they have tweaked their car setup for those conditions. For us, we are also fortunate to have gained experience with on and off camber turns.

I know PCASDR drivers that have gone up to PCAOCR. Initially they get lost due to the sparse cone layout.

I know PCAOCR drivers that have come down to PCASDR. Initially they get lost - they complain about too many cones and cone blindness.

The challenge of adaptation to new elements makes us better drivers. The challenge for PCASDR drivers is to improve their looking ahead skills and develop other fundamental autocross skills that are difficult to develop on a cone intensive course. The challenge for PCAOCR drivers is to learn to de-focus from the noise and learn to how to handle the on and off camber turns.

The hybrid layout is a stroke of genius. You can't have an entirely spare cone layout at Qualcomm due to safety (obstacles to hit). So a hybrid layout allows us to maintain something familiar and introduce something new to challenge you while still being safe.

From my experience, once someone gets used to a sparser cone layout, they do not want to go back to more cones. That would be like a kid putting training wheels back on after they have learned to ride on two wheels or a down hill skier, putting up a sea of flags/poles.
Robert Joe
Autocrosser

Postby ks9146 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:15 pm

First, I want to say THANK YOU to the autocross team for trying something new. The course was challenging, but fun. I think that the team was thinking of my car when they put this course together. :lol:
It is really nice to have my little 2.7 liter Boxster sitting up in the mix with Caymans and GT3's.

I am pretty sure that the autocross team will never make everyone happy. I remember the days that all the courses were super fast, my car having to shift into 3rd gear for most of the course. I wasn't a big fan of those, but it was the course of the day.

Thank you again for making feel like part of the team!
Kathy Smalley
2000 Boxster
ks9146

Postby ttweed on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Robert Joe wrote:The challenge of adaptation to new elements makes us better drivers. The challenge for PCASDR drivers is to improve their looking ahead skills and develop other fundamental autocross skills that are difficult to develop on a cone intensive course. The challenge for PCAOCR drivers is to learn to de-focus from the noise and learn to how to handle the on and off camber turns.

The hybrid layout is a stroke of genius. You can't have an entirely spare cone layout at Qualcomm due to safety (obstacles to hit). So a hybrid layout allows us to maintain something familiar and introduce something new to challenge you while still being safe.

From my experience, once someone gets used to a sparser cone layout, they do not want to go back to more cones. That would be like a kid putting training wheels back on after they have learned to ride on two wheels or a down hill skier, putting up a sea of flags/poles.

Well said, Robert. The El Toro site is pan flat, and doesn't present any camber challenges, but one of the hardest things for me running up there was adapting to the surface changing from concrete to asphalt and back several times a lap, with the resulting change in grip.

What Marcus and Andrew have been doing really is a hybrid of open/closed layout, and just a step towards what you would see if running a true SCCA-style course. Here's the two courses from the SCCA Nationals last year (East and West sides, run on separate days). The course cones are only the small dots (each one numbered), along with small triangles for pointers and barrier cones. The solid lines would be chalked to show the course limits. Dotted lines in open sections are for reference only, to let people know where the course is going. You get to walk it as many times as you can in a couple hours, then you have three runs to go as fast as you can around the course. Our events are a piece of cake compared to this. It is much easier to go fast after you've had 10 laps of familiarization. People objecting to the extra practice by the setup crew have a valid point.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby ttweed on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:53 pm

ks9146 wrote:I am pretty sure that the autocross team will never make everyone happy. I remember the days that all the courses were super fast, my car having to shift into 3rd gear for most of the course. I wasn't a big fan of those, but it was the course of the day.

I really miss the third gear sections, Kathy! :D

You drove really well, as usual, and so did Bill.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I really miss the third gear sections.....

Me too, my car just starts to really work well at those speeds. Safety first though.....
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:14 am

chalking the course would ease any anxiety and speed the learning process
Gary Burch
Club Racer