6.12.16 AX Video

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

6.12.16 AX Video

Postby mrondeau on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Here's video of my fastest lap from the dash cam. I figured the track out pretty early and thought it was a lot of fun for the most part. The braking zones were tough without ABS, but that's just how the stadium is.
https://youtu.be/SSEeSczkhKE
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Re: 6.12.16 AX Video

Postby marcus981 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:02 am

Mark,

Thanks for posting the video. It looks like it ended up being a really fun track! I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to drive it.

Congratulations on your 2nd TTOD finish!

It's interesting to see how close the times were in the top 10 this time. Excluding TTOD (which often is other-worldly), there typically seems to be a 2-3 second spread between 2nd and 10th place. This time it was only 1.4 seconds. Part of that was statistically due to the higher attendance this time (100 vs. 80 Porsches), but I would have expected a bigger spread due to the open course layout allowing for much different lines. That seems to indicate that plenty of people figured out the course reasonably well, which I'm happy to see.
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Re: 6.12.16 AX Video

Postby mrondeau on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Marcus,

I thought it was a fun track, but I think it was definitely skewed towards the later cars. ABS and traction control definitely helped at this event. I heard from a few people with ABS that their ABS was chattering as it tried to keep up in a few of the braking zones. You don't see too many pre 1990 cars in the top 10.

I found the track was easy to follow, but I know it seemed to throw quite a few others off. Drivers really need to practice looking further ahead and adjust for conditions. I think my third lap in the first session was a 1:22.71 (if accurate) which is very close to what I ended up with in timed runs.

Everyone has to drive the same track. If it's safe and doesn't require you to shift into 1st gear or allow you to go over 80, then it's ok. Some tracks flow well, some don't and some require more skill than others to post a decent time. I like the tracks that allow for different lines. I've never liked narrow, completely coned tracks. Wider tracks or open layouts allow drivers to make choices. We used to have a rhythm section in the old PDS track that I loved. Most of the students would just follow the cones around each "corner". The instructors would just throttle steer through it with very little input from the steering wheel. It was great to see the students "get it" and start to do the same.

Keep mixing it up and remember which segments people liked and which ones they didn't. You can't please everyone so just listen to the opinions of those you respect and do the best you can. It's not going to affect your end of your bonus. :roflmao:
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions