An Aristocrat's Comments

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

An Aristocrat's Comments

Postby mtcurran on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Hello Everyone,
It was about six months ago I was compared to Hitler for having the gall to suggest that our AX Team members wear their AX Team shirts to show Team unity, create camaraderie, and increase visibility to participants. Now I've been called an Aristocrat, things are Improving, I think.
This past Saturday we had the opportunity to set the track before Sunday's AX. Some of my Team members met at the Q at 4 PM. We retrieved the truck and trailer from Stadium Security and began setting the track at 4:30 after everyone signed the waiver (signing the waiver for track setup has been normal protocol for the past year and a half). After 2 1/2 hours of setting up the Tech Inspection station, the entrance and exit to the track, pre-grid, grid, and the entire track using GPS, we convened at the trailer where we have a large copy of the track map posted. I asked the volunteers to drive 3 laps at 5/10s to 7/10s and then reconvene at the trailer where we all discussed areas of concern (safety concerns, swale crossing, surface conditions, excessive bumps, painful sections restricting flow). We then determined changes that needed to be made and made those changes. We drove 3 more laps as it was getting dark, reconvened at the trailer and discussed if the changes were satisfactory. Two areas of the track required more changes. While those changes were being made the volunteers spread out and chalked the entire track. After which we packed up and headed home at 8:30. No more driving of the track occurred. In the morning the Safety Chairmen consulted with myself and my track designer and recommended some changes to the track to improve its safety. Those additional changes were made to their satisfaction. I don't believe that the small amount of driving that the volunteers did the night before amounted to an advantage considering the multiple changes to the track that took place during and after they drove the track.

The track map is usually sent to me for approval on Tuesday evening prior to the AX. After that it is posted here and I believe two other locations, one controlled by Tom Brown and the other by Robert Baizer. This is the intended track but it can change during set up due to reasons stated above. We do our best to match the design shown on the map.
Marcus Kramer and Andrew Simmons have my full support in continuing to develop new and challenging tracks. I think what they have accomplished over the past year and a half has been remarkable.
There is great value in a Track Walk for some. Very experienced drivers seem to benefit more. With 50 to 100 people walking in a group it makes it difficult to see the track and a good amount aren't paying attention and instead are socializing, which isn't a bad thing, but maybe could be done in the pits during down time. The Track Walk should always be part of the Sunday AX at the PDS.
The Track Tour was created as a solution to several problems. The Track Walk was taking too long and delaying the start of the Driver's Meeting. As the Corner Working Chair for 2014 I would have to get in the truck and herd members back to the trailer at all of the events. The majority of participants informed me that they got very little from the Walk and didn't begin to learn the track until they started driving it. This feedback included students, novices, drivers, and instructors. The Track Tour allows for Instructor and Student to have one on one time together in the car while driving anywhere from two to five laps depending on time available. If we set the track on the morning of the event there is not enough time for a Track Walk. I hope this information helps explain how we have gotten to where we are now. We will continue to strive to make this the best AX Season possible.
Kind regards,
Mark
Mark T. Curran
Curran Pool Services
2014 AX Corner Working Chair
2015 2016 2017 AX Chair
2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 DE CDI
2023 TT CDI
2021 2022 2023 DE/TT Chair
1978 911SC Track Car
2009 Cayenne Turbo S
2011 Carrera 4S
2012 Cayman R
mtcurran

Re: An Aristocrat's Comments

Postby jbrennen on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:33 pm

Thank you Mark for your other-worldly efforts to make ours a premium autocross experience.

We can always strive to make things better, of course, but as the saying goes, if we see further, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants. Thank you for being our giant. :)
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby cag4 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:05 pm

"Aristocrat"? I'm sure we can do better than that... Count of Corners? Prince of Pools? Duke of Double Apex? Jack of J-turns?

Regardless, I hope all PCA SDR members realize how lucky we are to have access to this vast field of asphalt, with elevation change, no less, and appreciate what you and your Auto-X team (Knights of the Roundabout?) are doing to maximize our enjoyment of that bit of blacktop (bumps and all). From the instructing, to the timing, to the logistics, to the safety & corner working, we get to show up and have a first-class experience at every event... truly remarkable. Considering this is all accomplished with a handful of volunteers, I assert that its the quality of the leadership that makes it all come together so well and so consistently.

Finally, as to the layouts. We've always had great tracks to run on, but recently we have started to have really excellent, thought provoking and challenging layouts that use technology, data and skill to try to optimize what's possible in our final seasons at Qualcomm. I know that the course designers are mindful of creating sections and transitions that reinforce the lessons of the PDS, that reward finding and driving the right line, and provide risk/reward options. Personally, I really appreciate that level of thoughtfulness and commitment to excellence, and while not every section of every layout can make everyone happy, more often than not, I feel like the courses are fair for all participants... and the rest is up to the drivers.

I guess its mixing forms of government, but you and the rest of the Aristocrats of Autocross have my vote to keep doing exactly what you're doing on our behalf... and my thanks!
Charles Gillespie
2004 996 GT3 “SL8 GT3”
2001 996 C2 “RTR0996”
1970 911 RSR “70RSR”
cag4
Autocrosser

Postby mtcurran on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 pm

Hello Everyone,
Happy Father's Day!!
A quick Thank You to the following people (in no particular order) who have offered their support and encouragement over the past week via email, text, and phone.
Marcus Kramer, Andrew Simmons, Jerry Bumpus, Jad Duncan, Dave Malmberg, Jay Gedanken, Andrew Raines, Vihn Ly, Karen Raines, Charles Gillespie, Robert Joe, Jack Brennan.
I'm really looking forward to our next AX on July 17th. It should be another successful event.
Much appreciation,
Mark
Mark T. Curran
Curran Pool Services
2014 AX Corner Working Chair
2015 2016 2017 AX Chair
2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 DE CDI
2023 TT CDI
2021 2022 2023 DE/TT Chair
1978 911SC Track Car
2009 Cayenne Turbo S
2011 Carrera 4S