Are you driving your Porsche(s)??

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Are you driving your Porsche(s)??

Postby Old Guy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Newsflash!! Porsches are made to be driven!! Earlier this month I drove our GTS up to Gig Harbor WA and back: 2496 miles RT in 3 driving days. The ODO crossed 42,000 miles during the trip. Today we are in Annandale VA. We drove the Macan S (4 days/3 nights on the road), leaving O'side Tuesday AM. Took delivery of this vehicle on April 13th. It now has over 5200 miles on the ODO. Ran 70-80 mph for most of the trip: 25 to 28 mpg. Reckon we'll hit close to the 10,000 service interval by the time we get home next month. Comfy road vehicle!! Not a single back, leg, knee or whatever ache notwithstanding 10-12 hours in the saddle/day. And finally, finally I stopped to see "The Thing!!" Heebie Jeebies for sure!! "You can Google that," my son advised. I didn't want to Google it. I wanted to see it in person, and I did!! Driving all the way across the USA is very educational. This is my 3rd cross-country drive in 4 years. We have a big, beautiful, diverse country. Get past New Mexico heading east and things are GREEN with WATER everywhere. Creeks with running water. Rivers. Lakes. And trees, trees and more trees!!

All of those nameless, faceless bureaucrats (who get paid every two weeks whether they show up for work or not) working to "Little Napoleon-style" regulate all 50 states from inside the WashDC "bubble" need to do the same. The new car dealers (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge) along the interstate have thousands of BIG pickups in stock. Not a single Nissan Leaf, Honda Prius, much less a Tesla, to be seen. Between the "Hollywood/Moonbeam" West Coast and the DC Bubble/New York "Kennedy Center/Broadway" East Coast the rest of the USA is actually WORKING using TRUCKS. Mud covered diesel-powered pick ups fitted with mata de burros hauling everything from cattle trailers to generators to whatever. Coffee at a truck stop? $1.00. Friendly people? For sure. And we had a deadline so stuck to the interstate. Going back home, reckon to drive some off-interstate highways. Scheduled stops: North Carolina, Texas and Oklahoma. Others? Who knows. Looking forward to it.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Re: Are you driving your Porsche(s)??

Postby Old Guy on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 pm

6317 miles...home to home in less that 4 weeks, via many Interstates to VA, then back via many US and State highways plus Interstates with stops in North Carolina and Texas. The Macan S is an excellent and very comfortable road-trip vehicle. We assume you are aware that most of the Interstate system allows one to run at least 75 and often (SE USA and for sure west Texas) 85+ mph. Macan: 65 mph? almost 30 mpg. 80+? 21 to 24 mpg...max. Do you realize that anywhere else besides CA, 93 octane gasoline is only a bit over $2/gallon ??!!

Favorite gas stop? LOVE's. Most "pee-break" Rest Stops? Anywhere other than CA and AZ. And yes: I did finally pay my $1 and tour The Thing tourist attraction in Arizona, off of I-10. Do NOT trust Google!! It's much scarier!!! Pay your money and hold hands with a loved one (but check with your Trust attorney first).

Happy to be back to Oceanside. :D
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions