AX Video

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

AX Video

Postby mrondeau on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:16 am

Here's a video of my fastest lap of the day which was a 1:28.97. My fastest video camera stopped right before my fastest timed run of 1:29.17.

https://youtu.be/kz-r14wdrlA

I liked the track and thought it was very challenging. Most of it flowed well and definitely rewarded drivers who looked ahead. Seemed like there was a fine line between smooth and aggressive. Fun day, fun track, fun people. :D
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Re: AX Video

Postby Gary Burch on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:27 pm

not as fast as Mark, but then who is?
a little bumpy, coming into the 180 I downshifted when my car was airborne...
https://youtu.be/A4v5sT62f-8

OH YEAH, a big congrats to Jerry!!!!!
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:54 pm

one other thing...
on my third timed lap it occurred to me, whatever unfortunate run group ends up as the last of the day, and after a four + hour time span, and a cornerworking stint,
they should get an untimed warm up lap.
1. to re-familiarize with the track, more so with current track set ups
2. adapt to conditions, lack of grip was amazing
3.get back in the flow without timed run pressure

my first two laps were total through aways

seems fair to me...
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Greg Phillips on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Here is my best lap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJZBtSxB1fg

I thought we could have been released from the pre-grid instead of waiting until the last car from the previous group got his re-runs. Sitting through the timing delay was bad enough but then waiting for one car to run and then re-run made no sense :surr: .

But it was a fun track, even with the changes made just before timed runs.
The chicanes (Chicago boxes?) after the slalom could have been turned into an angled slalom as Tom Tweed mentioned, maybe another approach as there were complaints about a previous angled slalom as I recall :mrgreen:

Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby marcus981 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Greg,

You're probably right that we should have started your group while poor Andrew was getting his 3rd re-run in the prior run-group. I can't remember if someone explicitly asked us to wait for timing reasons. I got a new appreciation for the chaos of start/finish and the scanner when I took over from Roger for a couple of run groups. Between listening for relevant radio traffic, listening to PA announcements for reruns, listening for the scanner verification of car number and lap number over the sound of launching cars, talking to drivers, and manually calling in some car numbers that wouldn't scan (in-between cone calls from corner workers), it was a much harder job than I expected just to man the scanner. I imagine life inside the trailer during timed runs is 10x more chaotic.

You and Tom (and others) are correct that the key green cones of the Chicago Boxes were in line with the slalom and even had consistent spacing with the slalom, exactly as we intended when we designed it. I think experienced drivers figured that out, but not everyone did. And I think the visual experience of driving into and out of those boxes was much more fun than just having more slalom cones instead.

As you know, regardless of how many cones we place on the course, there are very few key cones that actually affect driving line. The rest are for visual effect, safety, or sometimes even a little misleading to give drivers an extra puzzle to decipher. Multiple drivers approached me yesterday and said they enjoyed that aspect of the recent courses. Another example aside from the Chicago boxes was the intentional false apex cone at turn "U." I saw a lot of people fall for that one, especially earlier in the day, which didn't set them up well for the entry into the final esses. It's another way to separate good drivers (reading the course, formulating a driving line strategy, and looking ahead) from the rest.
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions