Wheels to Chuckwalla?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Wheels to Chuckwalla?

Postby Robertsmania on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:02 am

Is there anyone going to the October Chuckwalla event with a trailer/truck/motorhome who can help me get a set of wheels to the track?

I have a utility vehicle and can drop off/pickup anywhere in greater San Diego county, but my Cayman can't carry them.

Thanks!

Kris
Kris Roberts
Robertsmania

Re: Wheels to Chuckwalla?

Postby Robertsmania on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Bump - I'm concerned that I may have to cancel my event registration.

The street tires I have will probably not survive a track weekend without cording and I'm not confident in driving all the way out there, running and then driving home on my R-compound tires.

If you can help, please let me know.

Kris
Kris Roberts
Robertsmania

Postby c4s4pcs on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:13 pm

U-Haul rents car open car trailers...
Phil Strong
2006 Carrera 4S - Retired from track
2003 Carrera - Ready for track
c4s4pcs
Time Trialer

Postby Robertsmania on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Thats true!

I did look into it and at first it seemed like a bargain, but then I realized the $1.09/mile for the ~430 mile round trip plus the base equipment charge would be north of $500.

Even if I camped in the truck and avoided the hotel costs it would still be more than I'm prepared to spend.
Kris Roberts
Robertsmania

Postby Greg Phillips on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:04 am

Robertsmania wrote:Bump - I'm concerned that I may have to cancel my event registration.

The street tires I have will probably not survive a track weekend without cording and I'm not confident in driving all the way out there, running and then driving home on my R-compound tires.

If you can help, please let me know.

Kris

With the weather being dry and warm I would not be too concerned about driving out on R compound tires.

Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby marcus981 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Kris,

I agree with Greg. I've driven my Cayman S to/from a few big track events on Nitto NT-01s with no issues. In fact, I even measured the tread with a depth gauge to see how much wear there was from the ~200miles of street driving to get to the track, and it was basically zero (less than 0.1mm). The amount of wear I measured for my Cayman during the track portion of the weekend was usually between 1-2mm total, depending on the track.

So, as long as you are starting with tires that will comfortably pass tech, you should end up with plenty of rubber left to get you home. Just keep an eye on them, and maybe swap left/right between Saturday and Sunday.

I also don't believe people that claim a heat-cycling issue for highway driving on most R tires. Out of curiosity, I measured the temps on mine immediately after exiting the highway, and they were barely elevated (something like 10-20F above ambient, compared to a ~100F increase for spirited track driving).
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions