autocross track layout

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Context: I don't have much experience yet, having only done the PDS and 7 autocrosses total. Three of the autocrosses were with PCA OCR whose tracks are exclusively open format.

I greatly prefer the open style layouts.

With the fully lined cones as soon as the cone course turns enough that the left edge is behind the right edge it just becomes a sea of cones to me. In the early runs sometimes I misjudge my speed in the fully lined corners and either crawl through them, or blow out the outside. I continue to have trouble seeing the lined portions of the course throughout the day, I have to memorize the course to be able to run faster.

The open courses I find it very easy to see the elements. Since there isn't a 'solid' line of cones I can see further to the next apex or two and am able to plan instead of react. At the OCR events my very first practice runs are much closer to my best time than they are at SDR events. With the open layouts it becomes a matter of fine tuning my line, and trying variations rather than focusing on memorization.

I understand some people have trouble seeing the open courses, at OCR the first practice runs have a lot of DNFs as drivers will often miss a gate or pass on the wrong side of an obligate slalom. I briefly spectated at an SCCA event at Qualcomm that had an open layout for the cones, but lined a very wide track with flour. Perhaps that might be a good compromise.

Plus, fewer cones means less set up and clean up.

-Eric
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Previous

Return to General Discussions