6-3-17 AX fun!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

6-3-17 AX fun!

Postby terryb on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 pm

A huge thanks to the AX team for yet another super fun autocross. The track was a challenging "look ahead" layout which caught me several times throughout the day. I'm having fun learning the Cayman and now kinda glad I'm out of CC06! Congrats to Rob Walker on the BRI win and to Tom Tweed for a smokin' TTOD!
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Re: 6-3-17 AX fun!

Postby rwalker on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 pm

I echo Terry's comments. "Eyes up" was the name of the game on Saturday. It was an awesome track, thanks to Andrew and the rest of the autocross team.

It got harder to stay "eyes up" in the afternoon with the breakups: more than once I realized I was looking into a hole instead of up the track. It was fun nonetheless: Vmax on my best lap was 75mph.

On the BRI win: I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my tires (fresh RE71-Rs that pulled me past Mark Curran), Adam's tire shop (who shorted him whatever he'd ordered), and Erik Kinninger for his absence ;) .
Rob Walker - #171
2004 Boxster S (Midnight Blue Metallic)
rwalker@rwalker.com
rwalker
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:41 am

It was a long day but a fun one, for sure. It was nice to be back in the west lot and hit third gear a couple of times a lap. :D
I thought it would be a Cayman/Boxster track because it was so busy, but there were a couple of places where power was helpful. I don't know why the track seemed to slow down for timed runs, but I'm happy that I managed to slow down less than others and ended up on top. I was sure Mike Avitt was going to be in the 1:19s along with Terry and Martin (what happened with the Reinhardts, showing DNR?). I was hoping for maybe third place after practice runs.

It turns out that it was really a Lotus track after all was said and done, since Andreas K. beat me by .07 seconds in the end, and should get some well-earned recognition for a great drive on a difficult course. I'm cutting him off from any more ride-alongs with me in practice sessions from now on, though. :D :wink: :burnout:

Cheers to the AX crew!
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby martinreinhardt on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Congratulations Tom on the TTOD !!! I thought it could have been a nice shootout between you, Mike and myself.

Jen’s and my lap-times were promising for top ten results, even though on each of our practice laps there were 4-5 cones down and chunks of pavment to try to avoid.

We tried not to drive over the potholes, but the loose chunks of asphalt which were not removed quick enough were unavoidable. This destroyed what was left of the under-panels and fender liners. The chunks of asphalt shredded thru the brake calipers, causing brake problems which we were unable to repair on site and we had to retire from the event.

This is the first time we have not finished the event in my 114 and Jen’s 75 autocrosses. :(

Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Bummer, Martin! Sorry to hear about the damage. :(

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby mtcurran on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Martin and Jennifer,
I hate seeing damage to your car and we (AX Team) will continue to do our best to find the best surface to configure our tracks in the lot while we still have access to the Q.
Best regards,
Mark
Mark T. Curran
Curran Pool Services
2014 AX Corner Working Chair
2015 2016 2017 AX Chair
2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 DE CDI
2023 TT CDI
2021 2022 2023 DE/TT Chair
1978 911SC Track Car
2009 Cayenne Turbo S
2011 Carrera 4S
2012 Cayman R
mtcurran

Postby jenniferreinhardt on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am

mtcurran wrote:Martin and Jennifer,
I hate seeing damage to your car and we (AX Team) will continue to do our best to find the best surface to configure our tracks in the lot while we still have access to the Q.
Best regards,
Mark

You Guys are doing an excellent job of putting on and managing the hundreds of details the autocross requires, as well as, trying to minimize running over the treacherous breaking up of the Qualcomm asphalt!

The fun has outweighed any car damage incurred throughout our years of autocrossing!

Thanks for all the hard work Mark and Andrew, (and everyone else past and present!).
Jennifer
Jennifer Reinhardt
'07 Cayman S ~ #504 CC11
Past ~ Board of Directors, AX Registration, Social, '90 964 Carrera 2, and '99 986 Boxster
jenniferreinhardt
Time Trialer

Postby AGill on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Fun track that has a couple challenging spots. Thanks to the AX team! It was a frustrating day for me, as Rob pointed out, I was on RE71R tires that should have been in the trash but my tire shop made a rather large whoops and never ordered them :banghead: after giving them 3 weeks. I was pretty much sliding all over the place and while there might have been a glimmer of hope in the middle of the day with a 1:20.XX, by time timed runs came around the tires had cooled their final time it seemed and I had no grip at all. The only consolation is that Rob lives in my neighborhood and will probably let me visit the trophy. To rub salt in the lack of tire wound, now the 71R is backordered a couple months so no love for me at the next AX either. :surr:

rwalker wrote:On the BRI win: I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my tires (fresh RE71-Rs that pulled me past Mark Curran), Adam's tire shop (who shorted him whatever he'd ordered), and Erik Kinninger for his absence ;) .
Adam Gill #115
Past Chief Driving Instructor
PCA National DE Instructor
'98 Boxster - "CUPCAKE" - CC3 before spinning rod, CC? coming soon
'97 993 Arena Red C"2"S - "Ruby"
'65 912 Gulf Blue - "Blue Bird" (sold)
AGill
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions