Yet another way to feel stupid working on a Porsche

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Yet another way to feel stupid working on a Porsche

Postby Dave Diamond on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 am

While replacing front brake pads on my 2009 Cayenne S (easy, quick job), I thought I'd clean the calipers so the nice lettering would show up better (plain calipers, not the red ones). There was not only the usual brake dust, but what looked like water stains where the dust had run when wet. A little brake cleaner and the dust came right off most parts of the caliper. The stains on the face did not come off right away, so...a little more cleaner and (relatively) light wiping with a paper towel. Stains still didn't come off, but the nice lettering did! The stupid part(s): I didn't realize the lettering was just painted on, not embossed, and I didn't realize brake cleaner would dissolve paint so readily :banghead: . (I knew brake fluid does.) So now the left front caliper reads "...HE" instead of "PORSCHE." Anybody know if stencils are available if I want to repaint the letters?
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Re: Yet another way to feel stupid working on a Porsche

Postby Code on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

D'oh! I hate it when stuff like that happens. Here is a link to Stencils and Stickers should you decide to go that route. Best of luck to you!

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/p9/Porsche_Brake_Calipers_Stencils_Stickers_%28Set_6%29.html
Josh Roy
987 Cayman S
Code

Return to General Discussions