Another fun AX!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Another fun AX!

Postby terryb on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Another fun AX day. A huge thanks to the entire team for putting on another stellar event. I'd also like to thank Tom T. and Mike A. for not driving and especially to Adam's tires for heat cycling out during timed runs. :)

I'm hoping the next track layout be less constricted. I really miss the courses that flow and have a better mix of high and low speed sections. The last several have been very pinched. If we've only got a dozen or so of these events left at Qualcomm, let's make the most of it!
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Re: Another fun AX!

Postby Cuda911 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 pm

A very interesting track! The lack of apex cones on the west side made that section a real challenge. Had fun!!
Mike Miller

'73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; ''93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '14 Porsche Cayman, & some other stuff.
Cuda911

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:52 am

I would also like to thank Adam
also, didn't really mind the track, a couple of really tight corners, but if you had the patience to set up the exit, the finish was a blast...
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby terryb on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am

Congrats on the BRI Gary! You were flyin' through the slalom during timed runs!
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am

terryb wrote:I'm hoping the next track layout be less constricted. I really miss the courses that flow and have a better mix of high and low speed sections. The last several have been very pinched. If we've only got a dozen or so of these events left at Qualcomm, let's make the most of it!

Where's the "Like" button? Oh yeah, this isn't Facebook.

I didn't even run this weekend, but I can see by the results that this was the second "rerun" course in a row that was somehow 10 seconds slower than the last time we ran it. This can't all be blamed on the asphalt conditions or "safety," can it?

The Miata drivers are happy though, I'm sure. They were actual TTOD again, if X cars were included in the results. :banghead:

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 am

ttweed wrote: This can't all be blamed on the asphalt conditions or "safety," can it? :banghead: TT

pretty tight and
not much room for error, but,
let's not blame "safety"
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby JERRY B on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:07 pm

The Safety Guys Ruined It

But luck was with me, I only got One Flat Tire
JERRY BUMPUS
Semi Retired Autocross Chair
2004 Cayenne Turbo The Great White Beast
2006 Cayman S The Other White Car
91 944s2 aka The White Car
89 944 TAZ The Not White Car
87 944s Ka BOOOM Car sold
86 944 aka The Black Car sold
JERRY B
Time Trialer

Postby ScandinavianFlick on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 pm

This month's track, wrong date on map notwithstanding, a new design; the low peak speeds were a result of trying to fit a certain number of features on an increasingly constrained surface. That said, the one abnormally tight corner was a result of poor design on my part, with a failure to anticipate reasonable objections from three different safety inspectors over the course of Saturday and Sunday morning.

I will look into decreasing feature count in favor of peak speeds if that's what the membership desires. It is true that having a course designer who drives a small, underpowered, front-engine car results in courses which do not favor 911s, especially the newer models.
Andrew Simmons
Infamous X-Class Entry
ScandinavianFlick
Autocrosser

Postby sf.in.sd on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 am

I don't see any problem in designing courses for small, underpowered, front-engine cars? :D

Seriously, I wouldn't swing the pendulum too far the other way Andrew. Keep mixing it up. We have had two slow tracks in a row with this last Sunday's being the slowest (I can only go 45 mph in 2nd and only had to go into 3rd once), so probably time for another fast one.

I thought the last two tracks were very challenging and quite frustrating at times as the car was still objecting to the last input when I needed to change direction again. Makes for a fun ride with unintentional rotation.

You wont please everyone with any single course design, so I wouldn't bother put it to a vote. I am somewhat jaded on democracy at the moment- or maybe its just the electoral college.
Shawn Flanagan
1987 924S - Spec 944 (co-owner SFRS Racing)
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
2012 Cayman R (by loan from spouse for occasional spirited driving)
sf.in.sd
Autocrosser

Postby mrondeau on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:36 pm

All cars can drive all tracks. Wide open designs tend to favor horsepower. Tighter tracks tend to favor better drivers. Unless a track forces you to shift into first gear or only has one driveable line, it's not too tight. There's a very good reason you tend to see the same drivers in the top ten in time and BRI, they're good drivers. The top positions change based mostly on tire age and wear, as well as who is able to figure out the best line. Keep mixing up the track elements and use as much good asphalt as possible. Some will like it and some won't. C'est la vie.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 am

mrondeau wrote:Unless a track forces you to shift into first gear or only has one driveable line, it's not too tight.

As a point of information, Mark, I have recently had to downshift to first gear at a PCA autocross at the Q for the first time in 20 years. It was either that or leave a half a second out on the track. It was that slow and tight.
:banghead:
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Is it just me, or has each track in the last year been slower and tighter than the one before?
Sure, as Mark said any car can drive any track. However.....I most enjoy flowing tracks where I am in second and third gear and the slowest part is at least 40 mph, the fastest 80-ish (I like 100 even better, but I realize it has to be beginner safe). I absolutely love throttle steering in top-of-third gear sweepers, it's heaven.
Some would say my car is a prepared 951s and not suited to AX at all, (and that's true). But it's the car I have, and I want to have fun with it. So do those who drive GT-3s, turbos, etc.
Wrestling around a tiny track the whole time isn't fun unless you race a 914 or Miata, yet most of us compete in 300+ hp cars.
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions