Slow Car Fast

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Slow Car Fast

Postby Old Guy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 pm

As I recall, my Morgan 4/4 Competition had a Ford engine with...I think...96 HP. But it also had a 4:56 rear axle. Rapid acceleration: guaranteed. Top speed in 4th wasn't much over 90 mph, maybe close to 100 mph. But in the 30 to 70 mph range it was a fun-giving rocket! Slow car fast. It was great!!
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby cag4 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Here’s a little something to enjoy while thinking about what makes a proper 911 work... “let physics, and the 911, do its work!”

https://youtu.be/_q_YDSgRa1U

And some history of the RS in the video:

https://youtu.be/BnTdMT-otVM

And some history of the RS/RSR series (with period footage):

https://youtu.be/i37SeUYGd4I
Charles Gillespie
2004 996 GT3 “SL8 GT3”
2001 996 C2 “RTR0996”
1970 911 RSR “70RSR”
cag4
Autocrosser

Postby dcarusillo on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:42 am

Rust never sleeps :rockon:
Dan Carusillo
PCA-SDR Past President, Former VP & Treasurer
1976 3.0 Carrera (Slightly Modified for track use)
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby 911TED on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Jad wrote:Well put. There is no right car, just different cars. I do not think it is a coincidence than almost all of the GT3's seem to run about 2:00 at Chuckwalla. Doesn't matter how much experience the driver has. On paper, a 991 GT3 should be pushing high 1:49's, but I think Fritz is much happier right around the 2:00 mark and that is where the cars run. I would estimate a Patrick Long could do a 1:49 if the nannies were completely removed, but I doubt he could do much better than a 1:55 with them on. That said, Patrick has wrecked many a car learning were the limit is (was) and PSM etc etc does an amazing job of keeping the car on the track heading in the right direction.

None of us are Patrick, but I just want everyone with a nanny equipped car to know, the car is helping and often a lot. Be extremely careful if you are ever in a car without the nannies, it is an entirely different world.

Jad, your guesstimate of a fast time above was reinforced @ the recent POC CCW event.
Kevin Rauch in his 20 yr old, air cooled GAS Motorsport 993 qualified with a 1:51
Ted Hoiberg
911TED

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 am

Road & Track on the new GT2RS,
"The Porsche just kind of gives you the lap time," Hildebrand said. "Hands-down the easiest in this group.
Anyone with a modicum of skill can be up to speed in three laps.
The car simply inhales human and gasoline and spits out pace."

The only complaint, almost universal among our drivers, was that it felt a bit distant in this company. A little too robotic, less than visceral.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Mike on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am

Gary Burch wrote:The only complaint, almost universal among our drivers, was that it felt a bit distant in this company. A little too robotic, less than visceral.

No doubt nannies are here forever and only going to get better.
Perhaps all new nanny controlled sports cars will soon feel homogenized, all about the same on the nanny limits.
All the top sports cars have the power, it may come down to which software engineer's nannies the new car buyer prefers.
It seems Porsche has had some of the best software engineers.
If not already perhaps soon all sports cars will have nannies to match Porsche.

Be cool to have nannies to replicate different sports cars.
You could have nannies in the GT3 to replicate any Porsche made currently or in the past.
For a change of pace select the 73 911 RS nanny for the 210hp feel with less impressive brakes and less stability control.
Turn the nanny into a real novelty.
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions