Nascar at the Q?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Nascar at the Q?

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:46 pm

I just checked the "oval" for Sunday's QDE. Woohah! :rockon:

(With overalls, a straw in my teeth, and a Stetson on:) :rockon: Ah'm wunderin' if'n Jae Lee kan set mah cah'r up like 'dem boyz at NASCAR... ya knoe... with that thar "awl-waze wants tu turn left" thang goin' on? :roll: DANG tha' sur wood b' fun! :lol: Ah recun we'll sea some sereeus speed out thar Sundee, Ya'll thank? :roll:

Seriously, looks fun .... and fast! 8)

D-
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Red Rooster on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:03 pm

yee-haw Dan !!!

Looks like yet another masterful layout for mucho fun times !!!

Thx bud !!
Johnny Riz
Red 73 911 AM #255
Red Rooster
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:10 am

If I were the safety chair, I would be extremely concerned about the speeds the higher horsepower cars will be achieving on the downhill straightaway after the left-hander at D4. I don't want to be a kill-joy, but I think the course needs another S turn around E4 and F4 to control terminal speed before the brake zone at the south end after G4, especially given that this is a DE with "entry-level" drivers and cars just stepping up from autox. Can you say "brake fade?"

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:27 am

ttweed wrote:If I were the safety chair, I would be extremely concerned about the speeds the higher horsepower cars will be achieving on the downhill straightaway after the left-hander at D4. I don't want to be a kill-joy, but I think the course needs another S turn around E4 and F4 to control terminal speed before the brake zone at the south end after G4, especially given that this is a DE with "entry-level" drivers and cars just stepping up from autox. Can you say "brake fade?"

TT

I have to agree, Tom. I will say that last time, the bottom of the course was "pushed" north and the straights were shortened by a considerable length. This reduced the potential down-hill speeds considerably, and made the "bottom of the hill sweeper" much safer and manageable.

I'm sure the Safety Chairs and the A-X Chairs are on top of this, and I think your concern is valid. Let's see how the track is eventually laid out.

Also, bear in mind the track-map configuration diagrams are grossly off-scale. The lengths and widths of the map are not consistant with the actual parking lot. I'd go as far as to say the map is way off, and the actual track will vary from the diagram significantly. The maps are intended as a vague or rough representation of what you'll be driving.

Now, having said all that, I strongly encourage everyone who participates to consider changing out their brake fluid with fresh, new fluid.

Dan
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:52 pm

Dan Chambers wrote:I strongly encourage everyone who participates to consider changing out their brake fluid with fresh, new fluid.
And start with some thick brake pads or bring a spare set!

I realize the actual track may vary from the map, but I am just trying to avoid the kind of situation we had at the last one I was at, where there was a massive reconfiguration of the track in the morning, after it was thrown, which caused us to lose an hour of run time. I don't think we got started with the first run group until well after 10:00am.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby Pete Millikin on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:49 pm

Note to self - Don't pit at the end of the downhill straight.

Tom - I agree with your safety comments

For a minute I thought you were lobbying to build in more turns to keep the evil turbos from spooling up. No doubt that view will get support from Dan, Curt et. al.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Sun May 01, 2005 7:19 pm

That turned out to be a fine track today, maybe a little better in the morning before it started breaking up and we had to put that slow kink in the northeast corner, but nothing like I thought it would be when I first saw the map. Note to self: Do not judge track designs on paper any more. Wait to see them in person. The scale of the downhill straight was much smaller than it seemed it would be, and the uphill straight actually ended up having a challenging turn in it.

It was a great opportunity for getting a lot of seat time for the $$$, and I really appreciate the work of Gary and the Autox team to put on this kind of event at the Q. I hope we can see more of them in the future--I am bummed about the one we had to cancel on the 30th.

Good job, everyone! :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Return to General Discussions