AX Scoring

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

AX Scoring

Postby bryanearll on Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:18 pm

Currently the rules for AX (and I presume DE and TT), are "1 lap best times".

Why is it not in the best interest of the sport to score the cumulative time of 3 runs?
Bryan
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Sun May 01, 2005 6:30 am

My 0.54 rubles (from St. Petersburg):

What you are asking is whether we should reward consistency (best 3 runs) or top performance (best run). I certainly prefer the latter, for the following reasons.

1. When I am instructing, I am not driving the course at maximum speed until the timed runs - I am focused on conveying information to my student. The consistency approach would put me at a disadvantage during the timed runs, as my best time is usually the 2nd or 3rd run, and non-instructors are able to practice runs at maximum speed all day.

2. My strategy for timed runs is to take the 1st one at a good rate, but focus on a "clean" run (no cones). With a clean run recorded, I can push hard on the next 2 runs for the best time - if I clip a cone or two, I still have a viable time.

3. With the very punitive 2-second penalty for each cone, in the more competitive classes a single cone on one run could cost a driver one or more places. You could consistently run nearly 2/3 of a second per lap faster than the next competitor all three times, but lose by clipping one cone on one lap. 2/3 of a second is a LOT in most classes, and if you aren't picking up a cone or two occasionally, you probably aren't pushing it very hard.

4. What happens with drivers who have a problem and cannot complete 3 timed laps? You could drive a winning 1st lap, and then a mechanical or tire problem could prevent you from completing either or both of the next ones - should you be penalized?

The current "best time" approach avoids a lot of this. A "best cumulative time" approach would favor a more conservative (i.e., slower) driving style, unless the cone penalty was made a lot smaller. IMHO that would be less exciting and less interesting.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions