AX Corner Protocol

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

AX Corner Protocol

Postby bryanearll on Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:55 pm

Splattered, tattered, ruined and shattered...

That's how I felt working corners this morning. I worked corner 8/9 (it was kind of a cumulative corner) today.

Guys are shredding cones in a dangerous fashion. Kary, I appreciate the fact that you didn't actually hit me. (kind of funny, as I was fleeing the oncoming car somewhere around step two I figured that I was NOT going to out run the car... next time think sideways...)

So this was my solution:
1) I ordered up some cones from base, turning the outside of corner 8 into 5' intervals of cones. Naturally, in the morning before timed runs.
2) I placed a BIG apex cone at the corner apex before the slalom.
3) I placed cones at 5' intevals at the OUTSIDE of corner 9 strategically.

Effect? Well it worked!!!! Cone density is directly proportional to CORNER RESPECT. In addition, I would recommend either the >>^ directional cones or a big slalom cone in the chicanes.

So while cones were still taken out in those corners, safety was achieved because the cones had to be replaced less often. So my opinion is to double the cone count in off camber turns...

However, is the number of cones dictated by AX rules; ie no more than and no less than?

For todays event it had to be done, IMO; AND it worked but so as not to intefere with results, can I get a ruling on this please.
Bryan
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Sun May 01, 2005 5:53 am

Additional cones can be placed in corners as long as they are placed before any timed runs start AND all cone positions are marked with chalk (again - before timed runs start).

However, any time anyone feels the need to change the course, the best thing is to notify the AX chairs (corner working, AX, or safety chair) and suggest any course changes (by radio if you are already out there). We are always very willing to change the course layout if there is any question of safety.

If you placed the cones before timed runs, AND you marked all the cone positions with chalk, then "no harm, no foul". As long as all drivers faced the same cones, then the runs were fair. :D
Relocating even one cone after timed runs start is generally unfair, as a driver striking that cone would be assessed an additional 2 second penalty, where an earlier driver wouldn't be penalized. :(

If you were in a position where you needed to run from an oncoming car, that position should have been moved - we usually try to set corners where the corner worker's post is relatively safe from most off-track excursions. If you had moved away from a marked post (to reset cones, for example) then all bets are off.

An important corner working strategy is to keep in mind where you would go if a car came at you. When a car is rapidly trying to occupy your space is not the best time to come up with a plan. :shock:
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby bryanearll on Sun May 01, 2005 6:51 am

Yep, next time I'll ask the Chair. Yep, the cones were all marked with chalk and the original line was preserved. Yep, it was done before lunch.

My point though was to emphasize the dramatic difference in the number of cones that had to be picked up after doubling the number of cones in the corner. Food for thought. If, on the other hand, "cones are set at 10' intervals" (for example) and it's a part of the rules... Otherwise, I think that at future events dropping a large number of cones down in challenging off camber corners helps emphasize the need for being conservative. (Further, that was how to drive this corner in any case.)

The position of corner 9 was just a busy corner. It was handled by two people during timed runs.

b
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon May 02, 2005 6:17 am

All:

Any and all adjustments to a track must be made by the Chairs, as Kim mentioned, and reviewed by the Safety Chairs prior to letting cars run. This is really important. We also need to notify the drivers either at Start/Finish, or in a "quickie" Driver's meeting that "The Track Has Changed!! All drivers, heads-up!"

We've had a very safe couple of years due to a strong emphasis in safe design programs implemented by previous A-X and Safety Chairs. This protocol has helped reduce risks, and incidences. The Chairs should always be consulted prior to changing track design. Drivers can be ejected from an event if they are found adjusting the track!!!

Bryan, I know you're a "newbie," and I know your intent was sound. Good thinking to make adjustment, just be sure to clear it with Chairs, and Safety. Thanks for going the extra mile!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions