November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:49 am

Here is a little teaser to get us started
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=817041298752810
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer & Forum-Admin
1997 993S "Daily driver"
94 968-Cab project/beater
1985 944-Spec "The Punk"
'82 911SC Track Car
Steve Grosekemper
Admin
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Cajundaddy on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 am

Hehe, I was right behind Rondeau and had a front row seat for this little pirouette.

Gentle reminder: In a spin, both feet in and stop the car. It creates predictability and takes the anxiety level way down for approaching drivers.
Dave Hockett
09 Cayman 2.9L PDK #129 (with a few tweaks)
CC08
PCA GPX CDI
PCA National DE Instructor
User avatar
Cajundaddy
Time Trialer
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Cucamonga CA

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Paul Filsinger on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:39 pm

I'll post a TT video later, but this one is kind of fun too -- 5 minutes "view from behind" from Lemons a few weeks ago. For anyone that thinks a) there is no room to pass or b) 944's are slow -- watch :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzmzv9f8jOw
Paul Filsinger
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

Re: November -2019 Buttonwillow Time Trial Video

Postby Greg Phillips on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Here is playing in the dirt with Mark R: :beerchug: :surr:

https://youtu.be/58qXN_g92r4

Keep the dirt behind you when you go off :rockon:
Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 1985 944Spec & 2002 Boxster S - 1994 968 the track cars
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030
2003 Boxster & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
User avatar
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:41 am
Location: Coronado

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby mrondeau on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Never let the dirt catch you. :roflmao:
Mark Rondeau
1979 911SC
1985 944 Spec (Guest Driving)
2015 Tesla Model S
2017 Toyota Tundra
DE/TT Registration/CDI/Safety Chair
WW Delivery Team "It's on the way"
Tech Team "That doesn't look legal"
User avatar
mrondeau
Pro Racer
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Greg Phillips on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am

I found some dirt in the first session of day 1 :surr:

https://youtu.be/Ov3CZgariX8

Turn in too early and there you are on the edge of the track :roflmao:

Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 1985 944Spec & 2002 Boxster S - 1994 968 the track cars
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030
2003 Boxster & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
User avatar
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:41 am
Location: Coronado

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Paul Filsinger on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:27 pm

My 1:57.77 hot lap from timed runs: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg

I welcome any input on where I can find 2.34 seconds so I can beat Murray on BRI! Pretty sure Alex is going to chime in with "grow a pair" but I need more specifics than that :)

Also, ignore the brake indicator. It's broken.
Paul Filsinger
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby afilsinger on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Paul Filsinger wrote:I welcome any input on where I can find 2.34 seconds so I can beat Murray on BRI! Pretty sure Alex is going to chime in with "grow a pair" but I need more specifics than that :)


I think you can carry more speed through Phil Hill - I am at the same speed in the 944 and you have WAY more grip than I do. I think you can also be flat or close to it through riverside, and definitely flat all the way from bus stop through club corners (the esses before you go over the bump to cotton corners).

also grow a pair 8) :lol:
Alex Filsinger #950
2000 Miata SE
1986 944-Spec
PCA AX + TT Instructor
User avatar
afilsinger
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby rwalker on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Paul Filsinger wrote:My 1:57.77 hot lap from timed runs: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg

I welcome any input on where I can find 2.34 seconds so I can beat Murray on BRI! Pretty sure Alex is going to chime in with "grow a pair" but I need more specifics than that :)

Also, ignore the brake indicator. It's broken.


Nice lap, Paul. 57s is flying.

Against my own interests I suggest:
1. try later to Star Mazda to lengthen your straight to Phil Hill
2. maybe set up farther right after the last (flat) gator in The Esses so you're back on the gas through the left before braking for Star Mazda
3. did you coast for a half beat before braking for Phil Hill?
4. more speed over Phil Hill, I think you're lined up well enough, but maybe you can do more turning in compression, then less over the jump
5. less curb at the Kink after Phil Hill, maybe, to make you more confident for the transition/turn in at Riverside?
6. get back on the gas before the curb for Bus Stop so you can take more of it
7. later turn in at Club so you don't have to lift to make it stick
Rob Walker - #171
2004 Boxster S (Midnight Blue Metallic)
rwalker@rwalker.com
User avatar
rwalker
Member
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Tom Helvey on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Paul Filsinger wrote:My 1:57.77 hot lap from timed runs: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg

I welcome any input on where I can find 2.34 seconds so I can beat Murray on BRI! Pretty sure Alex is going to chime in with "grow a pair" but I need more specifics than that :)

Also, ignore the brake indicator. It's broken.

Holy crap! That was amazing.
If you screwed up the right a little more on cotton corners you may have gotten a 10th, maybe.
I'm a novice so feel free to ignore me :)
Thanks for posting.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:15 am

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Andrew Raines on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Paul Filsinger wrote:My 1:57.77 hot lap from timed runs: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg

I welcome any input on where I can find 2.34 seconds so I can beat Murray on BRI! Pretty sure Alex is going to chime in with "grow a pair" but I need more specifics than that :)

Also, ignore the brake indicator. It's broken.


Try turning in later at sunset and change your angle at the apex so the car is rotated more. When you hit the apex, your car is pointing to the left of the track out gator. Which means you have to coast, continue to rotate the car, and wait to accelerate. You are not fully accelerating until the end of the track out. You should be back on the gas here with the car angled toward right end of the gator: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg?t=8

You are waiting for 2 seconds before you are really comfortable being full gas. https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg?t=10
Andrew Raines
Autocrosser
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:25 am

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Cajundaddy on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:56 am

Paul Filsinger wrote:My 1:57.77 hot lap from timed runs: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg

I welcome any input on where I can find 2.34 seconds so I can beat Murray on BRI! Pretty sure Alex is going to chime in with "grow a pair" but I need more specifics than that :)


Maybe just put Alex in the car. :mrgreen:

Seriously it looks like a pretty solid lap. All of the above suggestions are good and Sunset, Star Mazda, and Bus Stop are critical. Get the car turned in and on the gas, at or near full throttle at apex. If you can't go to the gas until well past the apex, you apexed too early. Sunset vexed me all weekend.

Good to see you guys out there and that car is a monster!
Dave Hockett
09 Cayman 2.9L PDK #129 (with a few tweaks)
CC08
PCA GPX CDI
PCA National DE Instructor
User avatar
Cajundaddy
Time Trialer
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Cucamonga CA

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Paul Filsinger on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 am

rwalker wrote:Against my own interests I suggest:
1. try later to Star Mazda to lengthen your straight to Phil Hill
2. maybe set up farther right after the last (flat) gator in The Esses so you're back on the gas through the left before braking for Star Mazda
3. did you coast for a half beat before braking for Phil Hill?
4. more speed over Phil Hill, I think you're lined up well enough, but maybe you can do more turning in compression, then less over the jump
5. less curb at the Kink after Phil Hill, maybe, to make you more confident for the transition/turn in at Riverside?
6. get back on the gas before the curb for Bus Stop so you can take more of it
7. later turn in at Club so you don't have to lift to make it stick


Rob, Thanks for the feedback. Hearing it is one thing, but actually doing it is much harder, so I think you are safe above me on the BRI list for a while yet!

1. Later: consistent theme for me, that star Mazda corner comes up really really fast IRL
2. Agree, watching it again i definitely start aiming left earlier than I could
3. Um, probably. See “grow a pair”
4. See #3. Was working on this all weekend and I know there is more there, maybe a lot more - I think i was actually turning a little to track out after the hill vs being forced there by momentum.
5. The curb didn’t bother me, I think my riverside constraint is just confidence in the car. Need more laps!
6. I like this - and my confidence there is good so I should have been doing that
7. Not sure if I lifted there, I need to pull my graphs to see - exit riverside all the way through club into grapevine was my favorite section all weekend, would love more laps to try and push it harder there. I think #6 would get me carrying more through club too

Tom Helvey wrote:Holy crap! That was amazing.
If you screwed up the right a little more on cotton corners you may have gotten a 10th, maybe.
I'm a novice so feel free to ignore me :)
Thanks for posting.


Tom, thanks! I think you are right on Cotton, that was a struggle for me all weekend and this was by far my best take, but I could still turn in later. See #1 :)

Andrew Raines wrote:Try turning in later at sunset and change your angle at the apex so the car is rotated more. When you hit the apex, your car is pointing to the left of the track out gator. Which means you have to coast, continue to rotate the car, and wait to accelerate. You are not fully accelerating until the end of the track out. You should be back on the gas here with the car angled toward right end of the gator: https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg?t=8

You are waiting for 2 seconds before you are really comfortable being full gas. https://youtu.be/GsltetrABdg?t=10


Andrew, thanks, it seems later is my nemesis. Agree with you 100%. Funny how obvious it is when someone points it out and I go back and look at the video.

Cajundaddy wrote:Maybe just put Alex in the car. :mrgreen:

Seriously it looks like a pretty solid lap. All of the above suggestions are good and Sunset, Star Mazda, and Bus Stop are critical. Get the car turned in and on the gas, at or near full throttle at apex. If you can't go to the gas until well past the apex, you apexed too early. Sunset vexed me all weekend.

Good to see you guys out there and that car is a monster!


Ha, Alex was itching for a run. He did go out once, but I made sure he had a full tank of gas and a passenger, and it was old tires. For once i wanted to preserve my bragging rights, so I thought I’d make him work for it. I mean, if he’s that much better none of those little details should matter right? ;)

My next outing is definitely going to be all about late apex practice.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - tons of fun getting critiqued, now if only we were doing 1a CCW more than once every 5 years I could put it to use! At least this way if we do maybe I’ll be able to find this post as a refresher.
Paul Filsinger
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

Re: November -2019 Button Willow Time Trial Video

Postby Tom Helvey on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:Here is a little teaser to get us started
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=817041298752810

I think I've watched this at least 10 times. Great defensive driving! You were ready to go off the track milliseconds before you realized you didn't have to.
Mark was brilliant in his recovery but there was a brief moment of "Oh Crap" there too. :)
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:15 am


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests