Tried out my new motor!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Tried out my new motor!

Postby kary on Mon May 09, 2005 6:29 pm

Finally got a chance to try out my new motor. It is 400 HP and is quite awesome. Have not taken it to the track just driven the local freeways. Tried some hills and some tight roads. The horsepower is great as is the torque. It has 1100 ft/lbs of torque, yes, 1100!!!

Now some of you might be getting the idea of what this motor is....it is a Catapillar C9 motor which is in my motor coach :wink: At any rate it worked well on the hills and will not have any trouble hauling my enclosed trailer with gear!

See you all at Buttonwillow in a few weeks.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Mon May 09, 2005 10:00 pm

I can see Dan A thinking of ways to get that into the Gulf car and stay in AM :roll:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby MVZ944T on Tue May 10, 2005 7:02 am

Kary,

Have you tried running slicks yet? Those Pirelli's will do wonders for cornering with all that HP! If you put a BANKS turbo kit on that thing, you can up the Hp about 40-50 and torque about 200. It will rip those slicks apart and you can drift the corners, trailer and all!!

Looking forward to seeing your new bus at Buttonwillow. We may have to fight over the 50amp hookups though! Ha ha!

I am going to run the open test day at WSIR next Friday, so hopefully my new engine will be ready to go for Buttonwillow.

PS. Watch those corners with your trailer on!

Mike
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:18 pm

Looks like I will not be using my motor coach this weekend as there is something wrong with the engine in terms of a fluid leak :twisted: I am pretty frustrated with this at this point so look out on the track this weekend :shock:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MVZ944T on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:11 am

Kary,

Sorry to here that, but I guess that means I will have a better chance at one of the two 50amp hookups. Seriously though, not what you want from a major investment like a motorhome. After speaking with quite a few MH owners, it apparently (and unfortunately), is not uncommon to take somewhere around your first year of ownership to get the bugs worked out of the unit. So there may be something said for buying a used one. Hopefully that will not be the case with yours. Should not be, CC makes one of the nicer coaches on the market I think.

I spoke with one of the POC guys last year at Thunderhill regarding his newer, upscale Monaco I think it was. I asked him how he liked it. He said that he hated all motorhomes. I asked him why? He said because everyone he had ever owned had been a pain in the butt.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:16 am

MVZ944T wrote: He said because everyone he had ever owned had been a pain in the butt.
There is a reason they call them "land yachts", ya know. :D

At least when they break you aren't out in the middle of the ocean. :wink:

BTDT,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Pete Millikin on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:53 pm

Sorry about the issues with the motor home Kary.

We were given a MH from my Father in law which is older than my Porsche - 1985. We were joking about it and a neighborhood kid called it "Tin Cup" (referring to the beater MH in the movie) and the name has stuck. :lol: Once I get some electrical stuff sorted out I'm going to do a shake down.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions