One Lap of California

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

One Lap of California

Postby scottleslie on Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Once we get back to normal, whatever that is, I have a proposal for a new event modeled after the Tire Rack One Lap of America.

Basically running a time trial event each day at different tracks. For example, leave Friday night for Chuckwalla, race Saturday at Chuckwalla and drive to Spring Mountain. Race Sunday at Spring Mountain and drive to Willow Springs, race Monday at Willow Springs and drive to Buttonwillow, race Tuesday at Buttonwillow and Drive to Laguna Seca, race Wednesday at Laguna Seca and drive back to Streets of Willow, race Thursday at SOW and drive to AutoClub Speedway, Race Friday at the AutoClub Roval, then drive to San Diego, Autocross Saturday at SDCCU stadium and have the awards ceremony. You can have multiple drivers but you must drive your track car from one event to the next, and you must run on the same set of tires all week (allowed one spare per wheel size).

What do you think?

Scott Leslie
Scott Leslie
scottleslie

Re: One Lap of California

Postby Greg Phillips on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:38 pm

scottleslie wrote:Once we get back to normal, whatever that is, I have a proposal for a new event modeled after the Tire Rack One Lap of America.

Basically running a time trial event each day at different tracks. For example, leave Friday night for Chuckwalla, race Saturday at Chuckwalla and drive to Spring Mountain. Race Sunday at Spring Mountain and drive to Willow Springs, race Monday at Willow Springs and drive to Buttonwillow, race Tuesday at Buttonwillow and Drive to Laguna Seca, race Wednesday at Laguna Seca and drive back to Streets of Willow, race Thursday at SOW and drive to AutoClub Speedway, Race Friday at the AutoClub Roval, then drive to San Diego, Autocross Saturday at SDCCU stadium and have the awards ceremony. You can have multiple drivers but you must drive your track car from one event to the next, and you must run on the same set of tires all week (allowed one spare per wheel size).

What do you think?

Scott Leslie

Looks like fun but hard to set up. :surr:
I would probably also replace Spring Mountain with Thunderhill Raceway since it is in California. :beerchug:
CVR to Big Willow to Buttonwillow to Thunderhill to Laguna Seca to SOW to Auto Club Speedway to SDCCU :rockon:

Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby Integral on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Greg Phillips wrote:
scottleslie wrote:Once we get back to normal, whatever that is, I have a proposal for a new event modeled after the Tire Rack One Lap of America.

What do you think?

Scott Leslie

Looks like fun but hard to set up. :surr:
I would probably also replace Spring Mountain with Thunderhill Raceway since it is in California. :beerchug:
CVR to Big Willow to Buttonwillow to Thunderhill to Laguna Seca to SOW to Auto Club Speedway to SDCCU :rockon:

Greg

sounds awesome. driving the 350mi to thunderhill from buttonwillow in 1 day would be quite the task. maybe sonoma if you wanted to keep it all CA? spring mountain sounds great though, to me.

i'd be in on most of this (no streets or autoclub for me...). following. :beerchug:
Colin Wilson
2001 996TT - #158
1984 911 Carrera
Integral

Postby Tom Helvey on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Sounds like fun but may need to optimize the route a bit.
The longest drive should probably be to the NorCal tracks (Friday), the shortest one should be from the closest track to SD for the AX event.
No way anyone is going to last on one set of tires, or without an oil change. :surr:
If you can make it work, awesome! I'm there :beerchug:
As long as I can get new RE-71R's and oil changes on the way. :)
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions