WSIR?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

WSIR?

Postby Tom Helvey on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Eventually someone had to ask this question, sorry.
Are we still going to be able to do this?
TT vs DE events should allow for physical distancing.
We're not going to have a tightly packed audience and it's physically impossible to get within 6' of another driver on a track no matter how insane you are.
Do masks work inside of helmets?
Even the most tightly packed paddock I've ever seen had plenty of room for physical distancing.
The drivers meeting and day end celebrations may be a bit weird, but we could still stand around outside with masks on for those. That's probably the new normal for a while.
I think we can figure out how to do TT track events with minimal risk, I really hope WSIR doesn't get cancelled.
I've been doing ad-hoc back country tours with a friend just to satisfy my Jones, need to track my race car. :rockon:
There is a way to do it safely.
Thanks
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Re: WSIR?

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks for asking Tom,

The TT/DE team is currently considering all options and will make an announcement after conferring with the BOD and before the normal event registration opening date of May 2nd.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Re: WSIR Cancelled

Postby Greg Phillips on Fri May 01, 2020 11:11 am

Instructors, drivers and students,

Many of you have asked or are beginning to wonder about our upcoming scheduled event this May at WSIR. After careful consideration, with much reluctance, and taking into account the recommendations of the Federal Government, the State of California and Los Angeles County, the TT/DE team, with the backing of the SDR Board of Directors, has decided to cancel this event.
Our reasons for doing this include, but are not limited to the safety of all participants and fairness of competition for those who are running for points and who may not want to risk attending an event while we are all supposed to be practicing social distancing. We also feel that this event may not be financially viable depending on the number of participants who would be willing to go during this pandemic.
We hope that you are all staying safe and practicing social distancing so that we can all get through this crisis as soon and safely as possible. We look forward to seeing you all as soon as we can safely do so and are hopeful that are Fall schedule of events can go forward as planned.
Thank you,

Greg Phillips and the TT/DE team. :surr:
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Return to General Discussions