remembering the "Q"

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

remembering the "Q"

Postby Gary Burch on Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 am

The end is near, in fact it is here, for the Q, that is
Going by on Friars Rd the other day, made me nostalgic for all the fun I had there
Driving fun, not so much anything else, some good Holiday Bowls, though

God, it was 18 years ago
Throwing cones out of the trailer, being afraid of Tom Comeau, Grosekemper in the red 914, Tom Tweed wining in whatever car he drove, doing DE's, we were setting one up the morning of the fires in 2004,
The Driving Schools, that could be an entire article
The autocrosses were the most fun though, lot's of folks passed through

not sure we will find another venue,
but if we do, it won't be the same
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Re: remembering the "Q"

Postby keefer on Thu May 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Has there been confirmation that the stadium parking lot will no longer be available for autocross?
Chris Keefer
keefer

Postby Tom Helvey on Fri May 22, 2020 7:20 pm

I really hope they can figure out how to do the 'last stand' without cancelling. Lake Hellsinor in July is probably as bad as Chuckwalla.
It would be really cool to drive the 'Cred' one more time.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Last Waltz @ The "Q"

Postby Tom Helvey on Sun May 31, 2020 4:52 pm

If SCCA can figure out how to do this safely with the approval of the authorities, we should be able to as well.
The 'Last Waltz' at the "Q" is the last time that any of us will be able to drive the best venue for AX west of the Mississippi.
Our club should be doing everything it can to ensure that we can do it, and do it safely.
SCCA is running June 13 & 14, https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/sd ... olo-892073
They also have a plan that has apparently been accepted by the local authorities: https://sdrscca.com/docs/2020_SDR_SCCA_ ... VID-19.pdf
I don't mind paying an extra $10 or $20 to purchase supplies that are not normally required (Hand sanitizer, isopropyl alcohol wipes, etc), and bringing my own water and food.
There is literally zero risk driving a car on a track or AX course without a passenger, the only risk is what you do when you're not driving, and that's manageable.
It's not sufficient to say the authorities probably won't allow us, present our plan and negotiate, come to an agreement. This is not just another AX event.
My apologies for the rant.
Thanks!
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby sf.in.sd on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm

Event calendar shows it as cancelled. bummer.
:(
Shawn Flanagan
1987 924S - Spec 944 (co-owner SFRS Racing)
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
2012 Cayman R (by loan from spouse for occasional spirited driving)
sf.in.sd
Autocrosser

Postby Tom Helvey on Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:51 am

Apparently the club did everything they could to make it happen but it wasn't in the cards.
The SCCA event was also cancelled.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:52 am

Gary, you hit the nail on the head, no other venue will compare to the "Q".
From the elevation changes to the room to use 4th gear (!) in a 951 when we still ran DE's, there aren't any comparable AX facilities anywhere. I think few of us realized how good we had it.
When I mentioned where I ran to Rennlist friends they were green with envy - after we had Parade, our facility became legendary to those less fortunate. Like all stories, I'm sure it grew with time, but still....
I'll never forget the knock-down-drag-out battles with Hassan, Martin, and Carl in KP. Hero to zero was measured in hundredths of a second. So much fun!
It was also fun to chase Eric for TTOD (never caught him lol). A 951 is a great big track car, for Ax not so much. I gauged my performance that day by how close I got to Eric's time. If I was within 1-2 seconds I drove well. If I was 5 seconds behind, meh..
While I was a newbie compared to many (I only autocrossed 78 times) I had as much fun as anyone, and will really miss both the racing, and especially my track friends.
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby Erik K on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Wow this is going to be a great thread! Let's hear something from everyone :)

Dave, thanks for the nice words, Definitely have a Long long list of memories in this parking lot, from watching Mom and Dad time trail Dad's 72' 911 RS close (a 2 day time trail event) in 95', To getting to run auto-x laps in all of Dads Hot rod's, and to run my Chiffon SC there in recent years. Never has been a dull moment that's for sure. I need to figure out a way to post some pics, but in the mean time, have some cool Video links which are fun to look back on.

The "discount tire " car was a Hoot in the parking lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3OAFfAst28

Dad's modified 964 turbo was a tricky one to drive, I believe I only eked out TTOD over Steve Grosskemper by less then a tenth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu9hrRD2FUk

Ok last vid, :D Sure was fun to peddle the SC around the Q.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7oZdRFrDYg
Erik K
Time Trialer

Postby Mike on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:34 am

The Q before the trolley bridge was fast.
I remember a PCA track with a downhill full length straight from the Bud sign to the river bank.
Clipping along at 100mph/230hp and those curbs 10 feet off your right side.
Great place to learn car control safely, maybe more so now with the loose surface.
The Q is a fun destination for short drive just to watch performance driving. :beerchug:
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby cag4 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:04 pm

I really hope we get at least one more shot at our asphalt playground! But even if we don’t, we should have a “wake” there... everyone show up for a beer, bring your car, and let’s take an epic photo to remember it by.... Bet we could get a mega turnout ;-)
Charles Gillespie
2004 996 GT3 “SL8 GT3”
2001 996 C2 “RTR0996”
1970 911 RSR “70RSR”
cag4
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions