iRacing / PCA Sim Racing

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

iRacing / PCA Sim Racing

Postby terryb on Fri May 22, 2020 2:04 pm

So being cooped up at home for so long got me looking at online racing. I'm sure many here have already made the plunge, but I'm a late bloomer am still in research mode--no PC, rig or iRacing subscription. I initially poopoo'd online racing thinking it was just a dumb game thing (sorry gamers), but it seems it's actually in simulation territory now.

I wanted to open up a discussion about the pros and cons as it relates to skills crossover to actual driving. There's so much on Youtube but it's tough finding info from those who actually drive a Porsche competitively.

Who's got a badass setup they want to share?
Does it make you a better driver?
Recommendations on rigs?
Recommendations on wheel / pedals?
Anybody doing VR?
Any thoughts on a motion rig using something like Next Level Racing's 3 axis or DOF Reality's 6 axis?

Thanks,
-Terry
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Re: iRacing / PCA Sim Racing

Postby terryb on Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Today's PCA vs PCGB Sim Racing at Road America

https://youtu.be/VRSyEYAWvGk
Last edited by terryb on Mon May 25, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Postby Jad on Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am

Several of us are doing it. POC has a league in season 2, race 2 at Sebring next Monday.

I have found the general consensus is that the better the rig, the more realistic it seems, but you don't go any faster than with a basic $500. Setup.

Any computer with a 2Gb video car will work, though most older computer will need the new video card for $50.

I really enjoy being able to drive and learn new tracks. Working on Interlagos and Sebring right now and I find that amazing.

It seems to really help with race craft, but there is a lot of car feel missing. I drive by feeling the tires move and that just isn't there. Some people that drive from marker to marker in a very scientific way are better sim racers than real, I am better with a real car.

Will it help you learn a lot, yes. Will it make you faster at AX, probably not.

Well worth the cost of a set of tires in my opinion. Weird how you really get butterflies at the start of a race....
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby mrondeau on Sun May 24, 2020 10:43 am

Jad wrote:Several of us are doing it. POC has a league in season 2, race 2 at Sebring next Monday.

I have found the general consensus is that the better the rig, the more realistic it seems, but you don't go any faster than with a basic $500. Setup.

Any computer with a 2Gb video car will work, though most older computer will need the new video card for $50.

I really enjoy being able to drive and learn new tracks. Working on Interlagos and Sebring right now and I find that amazing.

It seems to really help with race craft, but there is a lot of car feel missing. I drive by feeling the tires move and that just isn't there. Some people that drive from marker to marker in a very scientific way are better sim racers than real, I am better with a real car.

Will it help you learn a lot, yes. Will it make you faster at AX, probably not.

Well worth the cost of a set of tires in my opinion. Weird how you really get butterflies at the start of a race....

+1.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby terryb on Mon May 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Thanks for the replies Jad and Mark. So among the POC and PCA sim racers, VR and motion rigs are not common?
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Postby mrondeau on Tue May 26, 2020 9:03 pm

It seems quite a few of them use VR or triple screens as well as SIM rigs with vibration/feedback devices. Apparently the skies the limit on equipment if you want to spend that kind of money
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm

For what it's worth instead of a multiple monitor setup or VR for flight simulation I use a TrackIR for looking around. Highly recommended: https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Postby Jad on Wed May 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Mark and I just use basic Logitech wheels and a standard computer screen.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Kone Killer on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 am

To get into a 4 axis PC system your looking at $4-6K but very cool.
Bob (Kone Killer) Hallett
(WaterBuffalo Racing)
1999 996 Cabrio C2
Kone Killer
Autocrosser

Postby Kone Killer on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:21 am

Here is a link to trick steering wheels by FANATEC. https://fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/. Muh, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!
Bob (Kone Killer) Hallett
(WaterBuffalo Racing)
1999 996 Cabrio C2
Kone Killer
Autocrosser

Postby Jad on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:43 pm

EricMarc-Aurele wrote:For what it's worth instead of a multiple monitor setup or VR for flight simulation I use a TrackIR for looking around. Highly recommended: https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Eric, how is the delay. i get motion sickness with normal VR headsets.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 pm

Hmmm, I might not be the best person to answer that, I never get motion sick.

If you have a high framerate there is no perceptible delay. It's like using a joystick or mouse to look around. More noticeable is that you need to sit in the sweet spot for the device to work at its best, not too close and not to far. I have a TrackIR 3, the newer versions have a higher resolution IR camera with a wider field of view that should help fix this.
Lastly, since unlike a VR headset, the screen doesn't move with your head, it amplifies your head movements, so as a result the view can feel a bit jittery as you get used to the device and dial in the sensitivity to your liking.

With the motion sickness I'd say try before you buy. I'm happy to lend you mine if you'd like.
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Postby afilsinger on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:33 am

terryb wrote:
I wanted to open up a discussion about the pros and cons as it relates to skills crossover to actual driving. There's so much on Youtube but it's tough finding info from those who actually drive a Porsche competitively.

Who's got a badass setup they want to share?
Does it make you a better driver?
Recommendations on rigs?
Recommendations on wheel / pedals?
Anybody doing VR?
Any thoughts on a motion rig using something like Next Level Racing's 3 axis or DOF Reality's 6 axis?

Thanks,
-Terry

1: With good peripherals (pedals, wheel etc) iRacing can be a great training aid. I use it to practice tracks before we go (norcal tracks like Sonoma and Laguna Seca) and work on race craft. The laps I turned on iRacing absolutely helped me when I got to Sonoma for a lemons race and was able to hit the ground running and immediately run competitive laps. There was no "where does the track go next" moment for me, and I already knew where my visual references were as well.
2: For sim chassis - the Simlab P1-x is the best base around. Its stiff enough to have 0 flex anywhere. We have a nextlevel racing GT Track, and its got a ton of annoying chassis flex, especially under braking.
3: We run a Fanatec DD2 wheel (direct drive for the most realism) - but this isn't strictly necessary. The Fanatec clubsport is highly reviewed as well. We use their clubsport v3 pedals and feel this is the best pedal option shy of spending 2-3x on some tiltons from ricomotech or husinkveld.
4: We tried VR, it made me sick personally. We use 3 monitors instead.
5: There is a place in LA that lets you pay per race to drive an ~$85k full motion CXC simulations sim - I don't like it. I find the motion doesn't sync up right with what is happening, and ultimately is just a distraction. IMO put the money you would spend on motion towards better wheel and pedals, and high quality monitors.

If anyone wants to try the Fanatec stuff before buying, shoot me a message and we can find a time for you to come over and try ours.
Alex Filsinger #950
2021/22 DE Co-CDI
FIA Silver
McLaren Artura GT4 - IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge #69
1998 Boxster Spec
2006 GT3 Cup
1986 944-Spec
2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
alexfilsinger.com
afilsinger

Return to General Discussions