Kumho V710

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Kumho V710

Postby Bob Gagnon on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:27 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the (re-)arrival of the new Kumho V710?

This is the tire that was introduced and taken off the market recently because of some flaws in the design.

The Kumho website says: "end of summer" but I was wondering if anyone with SCCA or other ties knows more.
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Answer is Yes ----

Postby Michael Dolphin on Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:12 pm

Bob, there is new info, but not handy to me at the moment. I do believe that there may be more detail on the SCCA website.

Short answer is that there is a production series of the tire (identified by sidewall markings) that are okay to run. When I get to my home PC, I'll send you what I have if you haven't gotten it by then.

I am surprised though that it is not already on Kumho's own website.
Michael Dolphin
Zone 8 Representative, PCA
Co-Chair, 2005-2010 Zone 8 Speed Festival
Past President - Grand Prix Region
Current: '68 912 - '77 Carrera 3.0 (Euro) - '99 996
Michael Dolphin
Autocrosser

Re: Kumho V710

Postby ttweed on Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:21 pm

Bob Gagnon wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the (re-)arrival of the new Kumho V710?
The 2nd gen. replacement tires are beginning to be delivered to those who accepted the return/replacement deal from Kumho, according to the SCCA guys. Not enough available yet for purchase by others.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Bob Gagnon on Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:37 am

Answering my own question, going here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho/kumho_710.html

I found this text:

July 22, 2004 -- On April 5, 2004, KUMHO Tire U.S.A. voluntarily recalled all ESCTA V710 tires due to inconsistent test results relating to tread splice and tread area durability. KUMHO has reviewed, revised and retested the ESCTA V710 competition tires to confirm they meet U.S. Department of Transportation requirements, as well as the needs of autocrossers and racers alike.

While retaining the original tires’ features, KUMHO has refined its materials and manufacturing methods to eliminate the variability experienced on the track and in the laboratory with the original production ESCTA V710 tires.

The tread compound has been tuned to reduce operating temperatures.

Tread splice integrity has been enhanced by revising the assembly method.

Increasing thickness of belt edge inserts has reduced belt stresses.

Resistance to air loss during laboratory testing has been improved by increasing the thickness of the innerliner.

All ECSTA V710 tires will now use a polyester cord carcass to replace the earlier tires’ nylon cord carcass. The use of polyester is branded on the tire’s inner and outer sidewalls near the wheel, and can be used to positively identify the revised tire by car club tech inspectors.

KUMHO’s laboratory and racetrack testing have confirmed that the ESCTA V710 is ready to return to competition.
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions