NASCAR has plans to convert Auto Club Speedway into a short

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

NASCAR has plans to convert Auto Club Speedway into a short

Postby Rschreckhise on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Ruh-Roh:

NASCAR has plans to convert Auto Club Speedway into a short track

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/n ... ssion=true

What does this mean for our beloved Rovel?
Randy Schreckhise
2010 Cayman S
1/2 of 1987 924S SFRS Car (944 Spec)
Rschreckhise

Re: NASCAR has plans to convert Auto Club Speedway into a sh

Postby Old Guy on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Total BS in the name of profits? Shrink the track; expand the pay-cash parking?? Perhaps if we're lucky it will give more autocross and related acreage?? But it does look like the ROVAL will be gone. I don't understand the rationale. Fontana is the ONLY West Coast NASCAR track nowadays. Why mess with success? But apart from that (and selfishly speaking) Fontana is the only "nearby" circuit we have. Just about an hour's drive from Oceanside for me. Did I mention the covered garages? with compressed air stations? I wonder if the powers-that-be are factoring in what other income streams will be lost without the ROVAL (car clubs, Fast Toys Club, Speed Ventures, club races...and more). Back to the ROVAL question: without the infield, what other income producing options with the layout offer?? Standing by to hear NASCAR's sales pitch. Evil mind that I have, I won't be surprised to hear that they are going to sell major parts of the property for other development. I'm going to stay tuned.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby Old Guy on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Coincidentally, after my last post I checked my Gmail and found this email. It raises more questions than answers.

Dear James,

First and foremost, on behalf of the entire team at Auto Club Speedway, I want to send our best wishes to each and every one of you. We hope that you and your family are staying safe and well.

I am extremely excited to share with you that earlier today, we began initial discussions with the County of San Bernardino about a possible redevelopment of Auto Club Speedway. Next Gen in California is a project that aims to enhance NASCAR racing at Auto Club Speedway for years to come and further its reputation as one of the premier entertainment venues in Southern California.

As we move forward, we are seeking to create a new, high-banked, half-mile track that will produce fast and exciting short track racing for NASCAR fans here and across the world. The new-look facility would not only deliver intense racing, but would also create a one-of-a-kind fan experience both on and off the track.

We are still in the early stages of the planning process and, pending approvals, a start date has yet to be determined, but we wanted to make you, the greatest fans in motorsports, aware of what may come. I cannot wait to share more with you as this development comes to life, and in the meantime, I’m looking forward to seeing all of you back at the track in 2021.

The entire 2021 NASCAR schedule, including the dates at Auto Club Speedway have yet to be announced, but we will continue to keep you updated as more information becomes available. We will begin the renewal process shortly and will soon be in touch with additional renewal details to help customize a plan that meets your personal needs. We understand these are uncertain times, so we created an option for this year that provides additional security for your renewal order. Whether it is finances, travel concerns, health, or other life circumstances, if your plans change after renewing, we have you covered with our Worry Free Guarantee.

As always, if you have any questions regarding your account, please give us a call at
800-944-RACE (7223) and our team will be happy to assist you.

We are grateful for your support and want to thank you for being part of the Auto Club Speedway family. Please be safe and well, and we look forward to hosting you, your friends and your family again very soon.

See you at the races!

Dave Allen
President
Auto Club Speedway
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby Mike on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:48 am

Double punch lost the wide open Roval and the Q too.
https://youtu.be/pPAvNUxww-A
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Old Guy on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:00 pm

According to NASCAR's 2021 schedule, the February races are still on. Likely the last full oval race weekend. Thinking seriously about attending the "last" main Cup race. "Just because." Otherwise, as the Roval winds down, Speed Ventures is there this weekend and Fast Toys Club will be at the Roval on 22 October. Reckon we're getting close to the end of an era.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby Mike on Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Get your laps in before it's gone.
https://speedventures.com/Events/Detail.aspx?id=819
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Old Guy on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:54 pm

I was at the Roval the 22nd with Fast Toys Club. Fun. Reckon I'll join Speed Ventures at the Roval in December (skipping November). Thereafter I plan to attend the NASCAR race in February; seat paid for. As for the future of AAA Fontana? Who knows??
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby kleggo on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:40 am

Rschreckhise wrote:Ruh-Roh:

NASCAR has plans to convert Auto Club Speedway into a short track

old news by now, but still very disappointing

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby Old Guy on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 pm

Just got an email from NASCAR. The AAA Speedway February 2021 race weekend is cancelled (the event will move to Daytona). They want to hold my ticket $ (they will add a 20% credit towards buying NASCAR stuff) in anticipation of the 2022 race being the last full AAA Speedway event. In their words:

Additionally, in conjunction with the realignment of Auto Club Speedway’s 2021 race weekend, the efforts will continue with the proposed redevelopment project to transform the track into a high-banked short track. Timing for approval will occur at a later date based on the impacts from COVID. This will allow fans and the industry the opportunity to properly close the history books on the storied 2-mile, D-shaped oval for what could be the final race on its original surface in 2022.

Sounds like the redevelopment plans are still being redeveloped :?

As a possible positive: maybe the ROVAL will still be available into 2021.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby Old Guy on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:33 am

Update. Speed Ventures has an AAA Speedway ROVAL event the weekend of Jan 9/10, 2021.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby Tom Helvey on Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:25 am

It looks like the Roval is still going to be there for at least a year, SpeedVentures is scheduled there through next December.
If you haven't had a chance to drive there, 2021 might be your last chance.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions