Zone 8 rules for 2021

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Zone 8 rules for 2021

Postby sf.in.sd on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:48 pm

We usually have some discussion of rules up on the forum so here goes... The new rules are up for comment. Already at round 2 with final comments due at the end of October.

attempt at adding link below, but just go to Zone8.org >> events >> event rules>> proposed rules to see the latest if it doesnt work.

https://www.zone8.org/assets/docs/2020/RuleProposals2020R2_08-31-20.pdf

Shawn
Shawn Flanagan
1987 924S - Spec 944 (co-owner SFRS Racing)
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
2012 Cayman R (by loan from spouse for occasional spirited driving)
sf.in.sd
Autocrosser

Re: Zone 8 rules for 2021

Postby Tom Helvey on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:58 pm

sf.in.sd wrote:We usually have some discussion of rules up on the forum so here goes... The new rules are up for comment. Already at round 2 with final comments due at the end of October.
attempt at adding link below, but just go to Zone8.org >> events >> event rules>> proposed rules to see the latest if it doesnt work.
Shawn

I commented with an objection to the new front number size rule. It's not going to help any TT/DE drivers or club racers because it's not likely they'll be able to read them in the mirror anyway, and the corner workers already know who you are. :)
"Car number XXX was on my *** the whole session" is not really a valid complaint.
The proposed rule is silly, most track prepped cars already have a 6" number on the front anyway.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Actually Tom there are two different groups of corner workers we usually use, one for Willow Springs and Buttonwillow and another for CVR. At our last event of 2020 we had the corner workers cancel and had to use a substitute group, which happens occasionally. So that is three groups we have used this year. So no, all the corner workers do not know all the drivers. If they do know your car and car number by memory, it’s probably not for a good reason.
As for car recognition having a front number greatly increases safety as was clear at our last Buttonwillow event where I regularly monitor the corner worker radio chatter and witnessed multiple missed car numbers for violations in nearly every session. The front number is the one the corner worker sees the longest. And something you may be unaware of as a driver is that event chairs are driving in all the run groups watching your behavior. The rear number helps them, and other drivers identify the car holding up a line of cars or passing unsafely. All four numbers on the car are there for your safety and a smoother run event for all.
This is not a new rule, only a modification of an existing rule from a recommendation to a requirement for the betterment of all.
And yes, I submitted my rule change comments to the Z-8 staff just like any interested driving event participant should do.
Only official comment submissions to the rules chair will be considered.

Tom Helvey wrote:
sf.in.sd wrote:We usually have some discussion of rules up on the forum so here goes... The new rules are up for comment. Already at round 2 with final comments due at the end of October.
Shawn

I commented with an objection to the new front number size rule. It's not going to help any TT/DE drivers or club racers because it's not likely they'll be able to read them in the mirror anyway, and the corner workers already know who you are. :)
"Car number XXX was on my *** the whole session" is not really a valid complaint.
The proposed rule is silly, most track prepped cars already have a 6" number on the front anyway.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Tom Helvey on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:Actually Tom there are two different groups of corner workers we usually use, one for Willow Springs and Buttonwillow and another for CVR. At our last event of 2020 we had the corner workers cancel and had to use a substitute group, which happens occasionally. So that is three groups we have used this year. So no, all the corner workers do not know all the drivers. If they do know your car and car number by memory, it’s probably not for a good reason.
As for car recognition having a front number greatly increases safety as was clear at our last Buttonwillow event where I regularly monitor the corner worker radio chatter and witnessed multiple missed car numbers for violations in nearly every session. The front number is the one the corner worker sees the longest. And something you may be unaware of as a driver is that event chairs are driving in all the run groups watching your behavior. The rear number helps them, and other drivers identify the car holding up a line of cars or passing unsafely. All four numbers on the car are there for your safety and a smoother run event for all.
This is not a new rule, only a modification of an existing rule from a recommendation to a requirement for the betterment of all.
And yes, I submitted my rule change comments to the Z-8 staff just like any interested driving event participant should do.
Only official comment submissions to the rules chair will be considered.

Fair point for corner workers, larger numbers allow them to recognize cars sooner as they are approaching. I have no problem spending another $30 for a decal if I need to. If the rule says minimum of 8", I get 10". If it's for the corner workers, that's fine. It's still not going to help many drivers, perhaps the wording for the justification struck me as too all encompassing. I got passed at least twice at BW without a point outside of passing zones. Looking for the car number of the driver who blew by me in the wrong place is the last thing I'm thinking about and if it doesn't cause a crash, I've forgotten about it by the next lap. If there is a crash, I've got video :)
IMO open passing without a point is fine with me as long as it's done safely, if I don't get hit, I'm not going to be the one scraping mud out of my wheels.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Greg Phillips on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Quoted from Tom Helvey:
"I got passed at least twice at BW without a point outside of passing zones. Looking for the car number of the driver who blew by me in the wrong place is the last thing I'm thinking about and if it doesn't cause a crash, I've forgotten about it by the next lap. If there is a crash, I've got video :)
IMO open passing without a point is fine with me as long as it's done safely, if I don't get hit, I'm not going to be the one scraping mud out of my wheels."

This is the wrong approach to safe driving at an event. We have rules and passing zones for the reason that they make the event safer, if drivers are not following the rules soon you will have anarchy and there is a reason that PCA only allows limited open passing groups, all with a point-by. It is safer that way and the insurance is affordable. Open passing without a point is usually not done safely, drivers are not predictable enough. :banghead:
Open passing without a point is called racing and is a different game. :surr:

If people are passing in the wrong places and without a point, you should let the CDI, chair or safety team know about it so we can make corrections and educate the drivers; Drivers Education is more than just having an instructor in your car!

Greg Phillips
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby Tom Helvey on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:35 am

Greg Phillips wrote:If people are passing in the wrong places and without a point, you should let the CDI, chair or safety team know about it so we can make corrections and educate the drivers; Drivers Education is more than just having an instructor in your car!
Greg Phillips

Fair enough, I follow the rules. I don't pass without a point and don't pass in the wrong place with one.
Not everyone does, next time it happens to me I'll let someone know.
Thanks
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby 911TED on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:48 am

Just another point of view for contrast
Some other local clubs have open passing with No point by requirements in the advanced TT group.
Logic is that you may decide to advance to W2W within the club if you participate @ that level, so W2W rules apply with track crew supervision and CDI coaching & counseling to safely prepare you as a advanced driver.
Also when & if you participate in a "open track practice day" all 3 SoCal tracks use that format too.
911Ted #869
Ted Hoiberg
911TED

Postby kleggo on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote: If they do know your car and car number by memory, it’s probably not for a good reason.

:bowdown:
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby mrondeau on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:10 pm

911TED wrote:Just another point of view for contrast
Some other local clubs have open passing with No point by requirements in the advanced TT group.
Logic is that you may decide to advance to W2W within the club if you participate @ that level, so W2W rules apply with track crew supervision and CDI coaching & counseling to safely prepare you as a advanced driver.
Also when & if you participate in a "open track practice day" all 3 SoCal tracks use that format too.
911Ted #869

We don’t allow that so we can stay in line with National’s rules and use the PCA National insurance carrier for our events. Passing without a point is a good way to get reprimanded and if it continues, removed from our event. Other clubs and open track day events operate under different standards and rules.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby Tom Helvey on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:11 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:If they do know your car and car number by memory, it’s probably not for a good reason.

I get along with corner workers and always show my appreciation for what they do, they occasionally give me tips on how I can drive the section they're in charge of better. They know who I am because I've reached out to be friends with them. They generally have more track experience than any of us, they even asked the crew at BW to blow off the mud at Cotton Corners after I mentioned it at lunch time. They're some pretty cool folks and they've seen just about everything, it might be worth getting to know them and show your appreciation next time at the track.
I'm still trying to figure out why I occasionally get blue flagged at S/F when the nearest car is over 500' away :) I'll have to ask next time it happens.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Tom Helvey on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:34 pm

"For Time Trial and DE: 8" height minimum, 1" stroke/width minimum and legible at a distance of 100 feet are required for sides of the car and recommended for the front of the car.
4” numbers required on the rear of the car."
Recommended != required. I'm already in compliance even without front numbers. I have 6" numbers on the front but I ordered an 8" decal just in case I need it.
:beerchug:
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 am

The first event of 2021 is scheduled to open next weekend, December 12th at 9am.
The registration link is at http://msreg.com/CVR0123.
Before registering for this event you must update your Zone-8 Car Classification if driving a Porsche.
Please update all cars listed under your profile!
(See “Updating your Zone-8 Classification” below)

If you are not driving a Porsche you are good and only need to know about the new rules listed below.

2021 rule changes that will effect you:
2010 Helmets are good thru the end of June 2021 to allow time for the 2020 models to be released.
A recommendation to have the car number on the hood of the car for TT/DE was changed to a requirement, Exact rule reads as follows:
All entrants must have numbers legible by corner workers and track staff on the car before entering the track.
Contrasting background is required for all numbers.
For Time Trial and DE: 8" height minimum, 1" stroke/width minimum and legible at a distance of 100 feet are required for sides and the front of the car.
4” numbers required on the rear of the car.
There has been some reorganization of cars in SS03-SS06, and that updating the car classification should update the SS class.

“Updating your Zone-8 Classification”
Start by going here to the Zone 8 Classification site,http://zone8.pca.org/CarClass/Default.aspx
Log in and then select “View/Edit my cars” from the drop down menu in the upper left corner.
This will open your “My Cars” page where one or many cars may be listed.
Find the car you want to edit and go to the column second from the right and click “edit”.
This will open the first of six pages you will edit.
Go to the bottom of pages 1-5 and click next.
When page six opens there will be a box unlike all the other pages that says “finish”.
Be sure to click the “finish” button!!
The next page that will open up is the “Vehicle Information” page.
Look at the line below Vehicle Information and you will see Updated: 00/00/00 It should have todays date; not a bunch of zeros.
If it has todays date you did it correctly; congratulations.
You are all now set to register for your next competition driving event.

Thank you for taking care of this before registering for your first driving event of 2021.
If you register for any driving events without updating your 2021 classification your registration will be put on hold and you will incur a $25 admin correction fee.
Don’t be that guy!
Happy driving and see you at the track.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Return to General Discussions