Autocross Venue (stadium) Update

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: Autocross Venue (stadium) Update

Postby Old Guy on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 am

"Thanksgiving" to Bill and any/all of the gang looking for venues. We really, really appreciate your hard work.
Second hand info: on the 15th I was at Fontana for the CalClub/SCCA autocross and one of the guys mentioned that he heard that the lot they use (if you round the corner to head under the tunnel it's the large lot to the left - part is for karts - other side of the road heading NW is their area) was going to remain as part of the tear-down/redevelop plan for the AAA Speedway. Total hearsay. 70 mile drive for an autocross? Yikes. That said: alter our format? Couple years ago when I went to the Del Mar Hot Rod show, one of the program items was an autocross-sort of event on a part of the parking lot that wasn't much larger than 3-4 football fields - maybe less. They had REALLY high power cars running. Their course involved repeat passes on different routes thru the same area, which is to say they doubled run times by doing the course more than once. Times around a minute or so. Tight, but there was a lot of enthusiastic competition. PureTrack (per Sean, on hiatus due to COVID and his law firm's admonitions) used part of the Angels stadium in Anaheim and and the Storm baseball lot in Lake Elsinore. Again: much smaller than we are used to. But.... :?: :?:

I get Speedway emails because I have a seat booked for the NASCAR February 2021 race (last on the full oval?). If I get any relevant info, I will pass it on.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby sf.in.sd on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Riverside Region (RsR) has an AX in that lot at Autoclub Speedway on the 13th of Dec. Anybody eager to get up at 4 am (or earlier ) for a day of autocrossing in Fontana?
Shawn Flanagan
1987 924S - Spec 944 (co-owner SFRS Racing)
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
2012 Cayman R (by loan from spouse for occasional spirited driving)
sf.in.sd
Autocrosser

Postby Old Guy on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 am

This weekend 5th/6th SCCA CalClub will be at Fontana (Saturday for test & tune; Sunday for timed runs)...just FYI. I educated myself and learned that it's worth reviewing the MotorsportsReg.com entry to understand their format. Out-in-space as I normally am, it was news to me. I was put off by the "walk the course then 4 timed runs" concept I saw on Sundays, but now have learned that for a few bucks one can double the Sunday runs. And for Saturday, numerous runs can be made - no official timing, but one gets a timing slip. All news to me. I'll be at Fontana Sunday the 6th with Speed Ventures. Will try to pop over to the SCCA area to see if my Morgan friends are running. FYI, when I go to Fontana, even if "only" 70+ miles from home, I drive up the day before and spend the night at the local Hilton Garden Inn. No leaving home at 0500 or such to drive up there the day of the event. I also spend the night after the event - relax and unwind - then drive home the next morning. All of this aside, I think we need a closer location...even if it means "innovative" courses that might be shorter and tighter, even to include double runs over the same or a reverse route format.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby Tom Helvey on Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:27 am

SCCA usually does practice on Saturday (morning or afternoon) then timed runs on Sunday on the same course in the opposite direction.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to General Discussions