Garmin Catalyst Notes

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Garmin Catalyst Notes

Postby Tom Helvey on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Brief: Technical discussion of the new Garmin Catalyst tool.
Initial takeaways from first time use at BW from a novice driver but experienced techie:
1. Bluetooth latency is unacceptable, use a hard wired audio connection instead.
2. The Advanced Driving Coach (AI) is not necessarily 100%, driving the sweeper before the esses always gave a voice prompt to apex earlier or later, significant confusion around exactly which apex it referred to.
3. Optimal section feedback only includes what you have driven before. It doesn't really measure your best route, it only measures the best route based on your other routes.
4. It is imperative to review every session prior to the next session. Failure to do so significantly reduces the utility of the tool.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Re: Garmin Catalyst Notes

Postby Tom Helvey on Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Second event with the Garmin, CVR StarCar December 2020 (CCW).

1. Replaced Bluetooth with hard wired helmet audio (Simpson Desert Devil) Latency was better but I still had to crank the volume to hear it over my engine and the wind.
2, By reviewing each session before the next one I was able to move the 'Opportunities' around to different track segments. This was a bit difficult with sessions every half hour. I wasn't able to maintain the discipline for the entire event.
3. Advanced driving coach is still nowhere near as good as a human in the passenger seat. I had a friend review my fast lap and point out a lot of things that the driving coach missed.
4. Instruction prompts were still a bit confusing and didn't always seem to match what I really needed to do to improve. The best one was probably "Keep Pushing".
5. Even though it was less than perfect, it did manage to help me drop my fast lap time by a few seconds.

Unfortunately, the necessary camera position does not capture the drivers hands.

I watched the DE instructor training video for Lead Follow (LF), and it looks like it's really hard to implement. Way too much load on the instructor. IMO it should also include a requirement for video inside the student's car that can be reviewed between sessions.
GoPro's are relatively cheap and can give instructors insight into what the student needs to focus on.
Even the most junior of track drivers want to have video of themselves tearing up the track, I know because I'm one of them. :)
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions