Power Steering failure after jumpstart

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Power Steering failure after jumpstart

Postby sdether on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm

My 981s been mostly sitting in the garage and while I try to take it around the block a couple of times here and there, I still managed to get my battery drained. And apparently drained enough that even my charger wouldn't jump it (it just painfully tried to turn over and didn't catch). While failing to jump it, I got warning about Power Steering not working properly.

I've since fully charged the battery and the car starts fine again, but the Power Steering warning persists. Best guess right now is that the one of the failed jumps dropped voltage enough that Power Steering thought I disconnected the battery, so I tried to follow the reset instructions I found at https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=770011:

Steering angle sensor (PSM)
The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.
- Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.
- Switch ignition off and then on again twice.
- Start engine.
- From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20° to the right, past the straight-ahead position.
- Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph).
- The steering angle sensor segment is recognised again in this process.
- Once the sensor has been successfully initialised, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is documented using the fault deletion counter.
- The fault memory erases itself automatically.
- The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

That didn't do it although I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to "drive straight" with the wheel at 20° or straighten it again first?

Regardless, does anyone else have any troubleshooting advice or failing that any recommendations on indie shops to take it to? Recently passed the extended CPA and have not had a Porsche in SD for over 10 years, so I no longer know the local shops.

thanks,
arne
Arne Claassen
2015 Cayman
1969 911E w/3.2 (sold)
sdether

Re: Power Steering failure after jumpstart

Postby c4s4pcs on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:18 am

Check with Adam at Vollig Autoworks.
Phil Strong
2006 Carrera 4S - Retired from track
2003 Carrera - Ready for track
c4s4pcs
Time Trialer

Postby Dijon360 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:13 am

I had this and followed the procedure linked below on my 991.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/930958-steering-support-limited-drive-on.html

Make sure to read the last two posts. It’s important to hold it at full lock. It worked for me on my 3rd attempt.
Joe Djan

2013 911 Carrera S
Dijon360

Postby sdether on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 pm

I thought I'd already replied, but must have closed a window before the final submit.

Anyway, Joe, that did the trick. I'd previously tried the lock-to-lock and it didn't work. That bit about holding it at full lock was the key. I held it and it gave just a little more and the warning light went off.

Phil, thanks for the pointer to Vollig. I've got a scheduled maintenance coming up and will be contacting Adam.

cheers,
arne
Arne Claassen
2015 Cayman
1969 911E w/3.2 (sold)
sdether

Return to General Discussions