Yokohama Advan A052s

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Yokohama Advan A052s

Postby Tom Helvey on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm really starting to like these. They seem very easy to control on the edge of grip.
I ran a set for the StarCar Sunday sessions in December and used them again for the entire event at CVR last weekend.
We swapped right and left on Sunday but I really didn't notice much difference, they performed just as well as they did on Saturday when I got my PB time at CVR.
Adam mentioned that he would have failed them for pre-tech if he didn't know I had another set to run on.
But he qualified that by saying he didn't really know their limits yet. They may last a little longer, or not.
I'm going to swap my rears for the burners I got for Fast Sideways training on Thursday and Friday.
I'm really tempted to run sticky fronts and slippery rears on Saturday at Streets :)
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Re: Yokohama Advan A052s

Postby Tom Helvey on Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:54 pm

Driving on my worn out A052's in the rain this afternoon was challenging.
Lot's of hydroplaning that could be felt in the steering wheel.
It was like driving on ice in places.
Great dry, sketchy in the rain. :)
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Greg Phillips on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:42 pm

Yes I drove up to Streets on worn A052 tires and it was sketchy in the rain. :surr:

But they still were sticking great on the dry track :rockon:

They have lasted very well.

Greg
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby Tom Helvey on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 pm

I shredded a front at FastSIdeways training on Friday on the skid pad.
The car was pushing a bit too much and I didn't have enough negative camber to compensate.
I was getting uneven tread wear front to back and was wearing out the tread on the fronts at Streets on my 'good' set.
At lunchtime on Saturday, I got the fronts flipped and stiffened the rear sway bar by a notch.
That helped, the car was a little easier to rotate and it evened out the tread wear.
I would have liked to have had a new set for Sunday, but I maxed out my tire hauling capacity.
I think they may need more tire pressure than RE-71R's.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Tom Helvey on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:15 pm

So... I was at my favorite Porsche shop today and they had a stack of A052's right next to a stack of RE-71R's.
As an experiment, I made a subjective hand measurement of the sidewalls for both tires.
The sidewalls on the RE-71R's were much thicker and more beefy than the ones on the A052's.
This implies that the RE-71R's can tolerate lower pressures with less rollover than the A052's.
This corresponds to my experience driving on the A052's and watching the wear pattern.
I'm thinking that 30 psi cold is about as low as you want to start out with with the A052's and 36 to 38 or higher hot might be just fine.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions