Rule changes and X cars

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby kary on Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:37 pm

Jad, I thought there was a definition of what type of cars are allowed to compete in PCA events (i.e. cars with fenders for one). Is that not the case?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:13 pm

That about covers the rules for x-cars as far as I know and I think more than fenders should be required for this level of racing. IE karts with bolt on fenders should not run and Grand Am cars should not run, though both fit the current x-car definition. Also H2 hummers should be excluded, you get the idea, I think only street style sports cars, no trucks, racecars or other special vehicles, Bring your Beemer or Ferrari, but nothing really different from a Porsche streetcar.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:41 am

Jad wrote: I think only street style sports cars
What is the beef with fully bodied race cars? I can understand excluding open wheel cars, but we have had lots of sportsracer types run with the club before, both on big tracks and in the parking lot. We aren't talking about racing here, it's a controlled passing environment in both DE and TT. Closing speeds shouldn't be an issue. If a pass can't be completed safely in the designated zones, then the driver has to slow down and wait for the next one and a signal or be black-flagged-- no diving under the car in front for a corner, going around the outside in a sweeper, etc. I don't see what the problem is with speed differentials in that environment. Tracquest has run DEs for years on almost ever major track in the country with open passing in the fastest run group (with hand signals preferred, but not required), and a wide array of car types (sportracers and yes, even open-wheeled cars) without any major incidents.

I'd love to see a Grand Am car come out and run with us (the Daytona prototypes are not that fast, compared to a fully prepped GT car). Or even an LMP car, although J.J. Lehto race-type antics in an Audi R8 would certainly be a problem! But they would be limited by the traffic and passing rules in our events, so I don't see how we could have the kind of weaving/bumper-car action of pro racing, and I don't really anticipate that anyone would want to bring a car like that out, except for some very limited testing or something. If they did, and didn't follow the rules, eject them!

If you look at the fastest POC cars these days, they are equalling the track record at WSIR for most sportsracers (sub-1:20 lap times.) It would take a Formula Atlantic car or higher, with huge downforce, to go any faster than they are, and we would certainly admit them, being Porsches, no? What's the difference?

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby kary on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:13 am

. Tracquest has run DEs for years on almost ever major track in the country with open passing in the fastest run group (with hand signals preferred, but not required), and a wide array of car types (sportracers and yes, even open-wheeled cars) without any major incidents.

Tom, I agree with most everything you stated in your last post except for the statement quoted above. There are quite a few stories about these situations that I have witnessed and heard. But then I run in the open passing group there and have not had issues myself. So go figure :roll:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:57 pm

kary wrote:
. I run in the open passing group there and have not had issues myself. So go figure :roll:
Kary- by "major incident", I meant "no serious injury accidents or deaths". Can you agree with me now? :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby kary on Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:50 pm

Yeap! No bodily injury in Tracquest.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Low profile

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:12 am

Well, the easiest sollution would be to specify that they be street legal, but no that would eliminate Grosskemper. Then maybe we should say that they should have two seats, but that would eliminate Tom Comeau. How about we just say it has to be a car?!

Perhaps Jad's concerns stem from the fact that he sits too low in his 944 and is worried about seeing small cars going by him. :lol: I am sure we could assuage his anxiety by mounting bike flags or some such markings on any low-profile vehicles. But seriously, I have to agree with Tom, again, on this. We can minimize unsafe situations with our professional corner workers. Given the right ground rules and enforcement, which have been expertly handed down at every DE I have attended; (thank you Dan, Gary, et al.) I dont see a problem with smaller/faster cars. I certainly wouldnt mind if someone wanted to bring their 917, 962, etc. down and play with us, would you? Power to the people!
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to General Discussions