KP class

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

KP class

Postby Jad on Mon May 16, 2005 11:17 am

Unfortunately I had to leave before getting the final results, but my impressions are things are getting even MORE competitive in KP. How many of the to pten were in KP? Before timed runs, I didn't think my car had better than a high 1:31 in it, but after getting my dad out, it easily would have done a 1:30. I wish I had some good excuses, like the tires were gone, I needed more practice, the sun was in my eyes, the 2/3 tank of gas slowed me down, but in reality, I choked. My first run I took nice and easy to get a benchmark time, 1:31.41, very smooth and clean run, EXCEPT they said plus 1 cone?????? I was so shocked, I never recovered. I still have no idea what cone I hit. Can someone tell me as most of you were working corners at that time (hmmm, is there a connection there :lol: ) For some reason, I couldn't stop trying to figure out that cone and managed to screw up my next two runs. Jackie even said I hit the exact same cone on my second run, which made things worse as I still didn't know I hit a cone (the DNF I knew about :oops: ) Which Cone - please tell me!

On the bright side, the waterpumper is back to competitive at AX's, so watch out. And I can't wait for BW, I may even spot you all a second :twisted: .

As far as I could tell, I wasn't the only one in KP that didn't exactly do their best, as Tammy, Bill, and Bob also hit cones on at least two runs, with Martin, Dave and my dad hitting them on at least 1. Not our cleanest racing and someone should have made a 1:30.xx to deserve the win, it is still bothering me that I didn't. I don't mind getting 4th?, but to be 2 seconds slower than I should have been sucks.

Oh well, there is always next time :D
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Mon May 16, 2005 1:29 pm

My day didn't start well I filled up the gas tank to 4/4 (I was talking at the gas station) :cry:.

Then during practice I got a 1:30:28, so I felt pretty conforable for the timed runs. But, it was practice. After a slow warmup lap my 1st timed run and I hit 1 or 2 cones. The 2nd timed run felt great until I when strait before the finish line missing the timing lights (still 1:32.xx + cones). The 3rd run was finally a clean run (worried for a second) with a 1:31:10.

Nice comeback Dave M. with a 1:31:19.

I can't wait to see the result posted to compares all the times, but KP is defently a fun and very competitive class.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby rss996 on Mon May 16, 2005 3:05 pm

Jad,

I think we all had a good laugh over you and your cone hitting ability out there while working the corners...

I wont mention any other names but Dan (Chambers) seemed to get the most enjoyment out of your inablity to avoid those little orange things.... :lol:
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby Jad on Mon May 16, 2005 3:38 pm

BUT WHICH ONE DID I KEEP HITTING!!!

Somebody tell me :banghead: :bigcry:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Mon May 16, 2005 4:27 pm

Jad wrote:BUT WHICH ONE DID I KEEP HITTING!!!

I wasn't able to run on Sunday but I really did enjoy corner working.... :shock: :lol:

Black 944 Turbo 1 cone! he he he ....... :lol:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon May 16, 2005 4:39 pm

Jad wrote:BUT WHICH ONE DID I KEEP HITTING!!!

Oh, Mighty Mentor, Leader of the Water-Pumper world, if only you hadn't drifted ever-so-slightly-too-far over to the right to tap the yellow cone, on the right side of the track, opposite the Bud sign along the top of the track, you would have been the envy of all KP class. It was the off-camber left-hand drifter that got you ... twice :cry: . I believe that was the Turn 5 to Turn 6 transition area. I was working Turn 4 at the time (top of the hill before the big sweeper) and saw, to my great dismay, the whole thing...... twice. :oops: I'm beginning to see the father-son resemblance ...your dad lost it big in the same section during his warm-up/practice lap before timed runs. He did a classic "right-left-cha cha cha" wiggle off the track. Like father like son? :roll:

I hope this helps you to remember.... That faint "thump" on the right side of the car was a cone, not a divit in the asphalt. :?

Drift is good. Drift into cone .... not good. But, I have faith, oh mighty cap'n Nemo. I know you have the Karma Potential Winning Spirit. That's KP winning spirit, for short :lol: .

Dan C.
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Mon May 16, 2005 5:55 pm

Hey Dan - Glen, our equipment guy just called. He wants his radio back. He said you can have it back at Buttonwillow.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon May 16, 2005 10:09 pm

hmm, well at least I know where I did it, but I never did hear the thud of a cone :? At least Dan A was there corner working to set the cones back up before I even past them for the next guy :P
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue May 17, 2005 8:25 am

Jad wrote:hmm, well at least I know where I did it, but I never did hear the thud of a cone :? At least Dan A was there corner working to set the cones back up before I even past them for the next guy :P

Well, in all fairness, I don't think you really smacked the cone. It looked, from my perspective, like the outside of your tire just barely nicked the "foot" on the cone, popping it out of the chalk mark ... kinda like shuffleboard, when you pop the apponent's disk. With the insullation out of your car, the adrenallin flowing, and concentration on the next off-camber drift coming up, you probably didn't even hear the "pop." I know the feeling. At the last a-x I did the same thing on my best run :banghead: . I went from 1:20.35 to 1:22.35 and didn't even know I hit a cone :bigcry: .

As to Dan A. being there cornerworking ... was he the guy in the electric kart, with the brooms out the back? :shock: Blue "driving" suit and matching cap? Big sticker that says "Electric motors in the rear rule!" Yea, I saw him there..... :roll: Nice driving, Dan A. :wink: What class do you run ... Electric-Spec? :lol: I'm sure I didn't see him driving any P-car ... unless it was a Peuchot.

Dan A., in all fairness, you did miss a good day at the track. Sorry you were absent.

See you next time!

DanC.
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby bibbetson on Tue May 17, 2005 8:34 am

Great run guys. Things are really getting tight in KP. First to fifth in three events, what's going on! :bigcry: I had a 1:31.7 in practice so I knew that was possible, but the 1:30's were nowhere in sight for me. I think my car and I need to have a little discussion...

We'll see what I can learn at BW. Jad, you want a student? I'm still a student driver for TT you know.

The worst thing of all about losing in KP is having to change my signature. :cry:
billeye #491
'94 968
bibbetson
Time Trialer

Postby David J Marguglio on Tue May 17, 2005 8:40 am

Practice like you race and race like you practice. As I was fortunate enough to not be placed in the red run group Sunday, I was able to corner work (thank goodness we vetoed that whole paid workers idea! :roll: ) whilst the rojos ran. Not to name names, but if we were calling in cones, it would have been easier to call in the occasional CLEAN run. As the exasperated worker in corner 9 will attest, very few cars ran through there without upsetting a cone. And though good racers are blessed with selective memory, this is something to try to be mindful of when bench racing afterwards. Having said that...I so ran a 1:29:9 in practice!
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Tue May 17, 2005 10:25 am

bibbetson wrote:Great run guys. Things are really getting tight in KP. First to fifth in three events, what's going on! :bigcry: I had a 1:31.7 in practice so I knew that was possible, but the 1:30's were nowhere in sight for me. I think my car and I need to have a little discussion...

We'll see what I can learn at BW. Jad, you want a student? I'm still a student driver for TT you know.

The worst thing of all about losing in KP is having to change my signature. :cry:

I will have my dad as a student, but if groups work out, a second student would be fine, otherwise we can rotate student/instructor pairings a couple times so we can ride together and maybe switch cars for a few laps.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue May 17, 2005 10:40 am

David, your times are getting dangerously close to all of us in KP. As Burl would say "You are so "KI" :lol: Make sure your vaccum tube is disconnected in the future. :lol:

My car just went to Dieter's for a relaxing massage therapy vacation this morning, so it will be all fresh and faster for the next event. :burnout: :burnout:
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Tue May 17, 2005 11:27 am

martinreinhardt wrote:David, your times are getting dangerously close to all of us in KP. As Burl would say "You are so "KI" :lol: Make sure your vaccum tube is disconnected in the future. :lol: :

Martin, are you just looking for more people to join you in KI when you admit that is the class your car should be in now :lol:

As I always have to tell Dan and Curt, you aircooled types can have your fun playing in the ax parking lots, but when it comes to real race tracks, the waterpumpers rule - no matter how much aroma therapy your car gets :burnout: :beerchug:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue May 17, 2005 1:27 pm

My car actually only has 15 points right now. Adding the rollbar added 40 pounds which keeps me in KP for this season. (it is still too heavy)

True, I am planning on going to KI next year and it would be even better if KI and KP became one big class.

Difficult to admit, but I know these 944 Turbo are fast. It is probably part of the reason why porsche stopped theire production.

The question is: Will the Cayman be the next Carrera killer like the 944 Turbo was? (ok it is a different subject)
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Next

Return to General Discussions