KP class

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby bobbrand on Tue May 24, 2005 1:40 pm

gulf911 wrote:Just wanted to jump in for a second....there are 2.9's running 1:50's and 1:49's in V3. There are 3.2's faster than that. They are also running huge wings and Hoosiers combined with very good drivers...

Following is a list of significant Historic wins by 944T's....

:shock:

You left out famous 944T driving legends....

:shock:

(Airplane was a great movie by the way).
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby RickK on Tue May 24, 2005 2:05 pm

bobbrand wrote:

Maybe you have heard of Al Holbert or seen this car before?
and while not a win, a 7th overall at LeMans in 1981 is pretty good for a GT class car. There's more but who want to type all that info here.

Now, about those RS America victories?
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby bobbrand on Tue May 24, 2005 2:11 pm

I see it is too late.
You have already crossed over to the dark side.
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby David J Marguglio on Tue May 24, 2005 2:52 pm

Holy crap thats funny! Err...the historical significance of 994's not the RSA comment. :roflmao:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Tue May 24, 2005 2:55 pm

Ah the force is strong within that one...

And lets not forget the historic victory of Capt Nemo over the evil AM guys at Pahrump or the recent exciting victory over the favored RSA's at Fontana.

You did mean legends in my own mind, right :lol:

I am still looking the most forward to seeing Kary's 993 with the 22.5" Toyos, it should look about like Dan's A avitar :lol:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Tue May 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Jad wrote:Ah the force is strong within that one...

And lets not forget the historic victory of Capt Nemo over the evil AM guys at Pahrump or the recent exciting victory over the favored RSA's at Fontana.

I am still looking the most forward to seeing Kary's 993 with the 22.5" Toyos, it should look about like Dan's A avitar :lol:

Jad, I tried to fit them last night but I did not take into account the wheel 10 bolt pattern that does not fit on a 5 bolt pattern. Anyone have an adapter? :))
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Tue May 24, 2005 3:54 pm

Not for nothing, but I believe this thread is now the longest and most viewed thread we have ever had. If we keep this up we will need to make KP its own forum topic; I can see it now...

Technical

General Discussions

KP
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Tue May 24, 2005 6:03 pm

Jad wrote:Ah the force is strong within that one...

Ok Yoda....who the he11 favored an RSA over a chipped turbo with quad 275's on a coarse like Fontana? I would have taken that bet...especially with, dare I say it, Jad driving... :wink:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Tue May 24, 2005 6:25 pm

Several people took Bob 'the Hoosier Daddy' Brand and his 350 rear wheel hp or something like that :wink: on Hoosiers (including me for much of the weekend), but the waterpumping death star eeked out a win by a 10nth or so. Then again, no one ever chooses the waterpumper over the 911, at least not in public :o .

You going to bolt a 747 on your car for BW?
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Tue May 24, 2005 6:27 pm

As James Bond would say to his enemy, "Same tired dream, world domination"
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue May 24, 2005 6:46 pm

RickK wrote:
bobbrand wrote:

Maybe you have heard of Al Holbert or seen this car before?
and while not a win, a 7th overall at LeMans in 1981 is pretty good for a GT class car. There's more but who want to type all that info here.

Now, about those RS America victories?

I almost bought this car (or one like it). Decided I liked to drink my water versus pump it :lol:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Tue May 24, 2005 6:50 pm

Jad wrote:Several people took Bob 'the Hoosier Daddy' Brand and his 350 rear wheel hp or something like that :wink: on Hoosiers (including me for much of the weekend), but the waterpumping death star eeked out a win by a 10nth or so. Then again, no one ever chooses the waterpumper over the 911, at least not in public :o .

You going to bolt a 747 on your car for BW?

Nah, not this time around. Ducktail for me. You guys will have a field day on the big sweeper against me... :(
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Tue May 24, 2005 8:38 pm

Dan,

Starting with the excuses already?

How 'bout these....

-These are old tires left over from Fontana; my social security check hasn't come in so I am a bit short on funds.

-I couldn't afford new brake pads so I have to slow down way early for the turns. (Besides the brake dust irritates my emphysema)

And lets not forget-

-Jad, I am sorry I didn't put my arm out for a passing signal, but my rheumatism is acting up sumpin' fierce! :arrow:
:roflmao:
I'll be here all week!
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Curt on Tue May 24, 2005 10:41 pm

Dang, I go away for a week of CAMPING with my IN-LAWS (was I Jack The Ripper in a previous life? :wink:) and the entire forum has been converted into a trash talking cess-pool of 944 vs. 911.

I feel like a proud Papa. :lol: Jad, Dan and I have been working on this for what, 5 or 6 years now?

I hope that my baked-bean overdosed, mosquito ravaged body can fit into my racing suit in time for Buttonwillow. If so, those of you with 125 hp or less are TOAST!!!!!!!! :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed May 25, 2005 6:19 am

David J Marguglio wrote:Rick: believe the horror.

Dan, two things: First of all, upgrading your car (i.e. making systematic additions to increase performance) is to building a race car as remodeling your kitchen is to tearing down your house and building a new one. It is very difficult to piecemeal a race car; it simply is or it is not.

As Otto correctly pointed out, and I should probably have this made into a t-shirt, It is ALWAYS better to buy than build. But if one chooses to go through that process of building a racecar, I feel they should go into it with the wisdom of those that have gone before them. That brings me to my second point which is it is only about the money when it is significantly more than you intended/hoped/promised to spend. In your example of a trip to Fiji, how would you have felt about your trip if despite what your travel agent, hotel, airline, etc. had quoted you, in the middle of your trip you found that all of your costs tripled? Would you still be feeling that rejuvenation of the human spirit, Dan?

Be afraid!

David:

Excellent points. And, I agree with you 100% as to point 1. Buy-and-build a Porsche Race Car is very, very expensive. And, I think "take your budget, double it, and double it again" is wrong ... it's more like Triple it! :shock: :shock: I didn't think Rick was looking to build a full-blown racer. More like a somewhat to quite modified street car. I don't think I was too far off on that assessment.

As to point #2 ... that's where my comment about doing some research and spending carefully comes in. I wouldn't buy a trip to Fiji without doing thorough research, finding the best approach to spending, and making sure I stayed focused on the trip objective (diving, skiing, whatever). (As a sidenote: I think budget over-runs occur because of insufficient research up-front, or loss of focus during the process of ..... travelling, building a race car, running a business...... the 6-P principle, remember?) When I travelled and surfed Bali, I had no cost over-runs..... in fact I came home with $400.00 more in my pocket than I expected, because I had planned to spend more. And I still rode world-class waves, and stayed in luxury accomodations. Yes, good planning makes for good spending.

David, your points about the expense of building a race car are well taken, effectively communicated, and valid. I agree with you 100%. building a race car is very expensive, and always more money than anticipated. Yes, David you are right. I'm sorry you don't understand the notion of intrinsic reward regardless of money. It isn't all about the money. (It's a personal thing. :wink: )

Rick, good luck!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions