2021 Intercontinental GT Challenge Indianapolis 8 hour

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

2021 Intercontinental GT Challenge Indianapolis 8 hour

Postby afilsinger on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:42 am

As many of you know, I stumbled into an opportunity to make my pro racing debut this past weekend in the Intercontinental GT World Challenge Indianapolis 8 hour in the GT4 class. While I was not driving a Porsche, (my team ran a BMW M4 GT4), I wouldn't be the driver I am today without my time in PCA SDR, and many of the incredible instructors that taught me much of what I know today. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone in the club who has taught me anything for all their help in getting to this opportunity.

While there, We competed against 12 other GT4 cars, and ~27 GT3 cars for a 40 car field. Since I was running GT4, I will focus in on that class. With approximately 39 drivers, many of whom have 20+ year careers and have raced and won events such as the 24 hours of Daytona, and the 24 hour of LeMans, I am extremely happy with qualifying 21st fastest amongst this star studded group. My team put in an incredible performance, fighting the consequences of an unfortunate incident early in the race between one of my co-drivers and a GT3 car, resulting in damage to our front suspension. This set back ultimately cost us our podium, but we rallied and fought our way back from last place. to 7th in class out of 13. Racing in such a competitive field against drivers like Spencer Pumpelly, Jason Bell, and even BMW Factory driver Bill Auberlin gave me a new appreciation for how far I have come as a driver to even have the opportunity to race against them, but also how much I have to learn still. The biggest thing that surprised me, was just how dirty and rough the GT3 drivers can be with each other. One would expect a certain level of clean racing and professionalism from such a well known field, but that just wasn't the case. The GT3 cars often abused the GT4 cars, and even each-other, and constantly caused incidents on track. One Audi factory driver in an R8 GT3 decided he needed to pass me in the pit entrance, then rear end a GT3R that was unexpectedly parked in the pit entrance. Having the unique privilege of taking both the green flag and the checkered flag for my team, in my first pro race at such an iconic venue was truly a bucket list moment. I look forward to leveraging the things I learned racing here to continue helping students get up to speed, and go faster in the DE program next year.

Photo dump: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zfIq_ozVR4
Recap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPu2n1N1SI
Alex Filsinger #950
2021/22 DE Co-CDI
FIA Silver
McLaren Artura GT4 - IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge #69
1998 Boxster Spec
2006 GT3 Cup
1986 944-Spec
2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
alexfilsinger.com
afilsinger

Re: 2021 Intercontinental GT Challenge Indianapolis 8 hour

Postby sf.in.sd on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:40 pm

Congratulations Alex!

Also kudos to Paul for supporting the making of a pro racer!

:beerchug:
Shawn
Shawn Flanagan
1987 924S - Spec 944 (co-owner SFRS Racing)
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
2012 Cayman R (by loan from spouse for occasional spirited driving)
sf.in.sd
Autocrosser

Postby dcarusillo on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Alex, totally awesome. I'm not surprised that you excelled. Keep that excellent team attitude and open mind. Hammer down.
Dan Carusillo
PCA-SDR Past President, Former VP & Treasurer
1976 3.0 Carrera (Slightly Modified for track use)
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby Andrew Raines on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:04 pm

Fantastic. Congrats!
Andrew Raines
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions