CURE for Motion-Sickness!!!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

CURE for Motion-Sickness!!!

Postby Anastasia525 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:00 pm

At the TT Awards Party yesterday, I was chatting with a few instructors who shared that they either have a really hard time driving with students or can't even drive themselves anymore (!) due to motion sickness, which they say has gotten worse with age. I told them that Marcela was experiencing motion sickness while driving with a student at Spring Mountain, and Brad Z gave her a pill that made her feel better IMMEDIATELY!! It was prescription grade motion-sickness medication, not the regular OTC stuff which those who suffer from this malady tell me doesn't work at all. (Thankfully I inherited my Dad's "iron constitution," or maybe it was because he took me on my first 'kiddie-strength" roller coaster at age 4, as I am blessedly unaffected!)

Brad says the scrip is called Meclizine. It's the same stuff they use in the OTC versions, but because those are considered "supplements," there is no guarantee of strength or purity, whereas if you get the prescription version, you'll know exactly what you're getting. Brad takes one 25mg tablet an hour before he needs it, and says it usually lasts all day. (Maybe not with Vinh Ly driving though!! :roflmao: )

Hope this helps anyone who suffers from this problem!

Hmmmm... maybe I should issue a disclaimer stating that I am not a DR and that this should not be interpreted as giving medical advice?? :lol:
OK, Consider yourself disclaimed!! :rockon:
Anastasia Berta #525
Chief Driving Instructor, AX & PDS
Driving Instructor, DE/TT
PCASDR President
Anastasia525

Re: CURE for Motion-Sickness!!!

Postby Greg Phillips on Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:11 pm

Meclizine is what I usually prescribe for vertigo and works well for motion sickness.
It is an antihistamine and can be sedating for some people, so be careful when using while driving.
https://www.rxlist.com/consumer_meclizi ... dition.htm

Another option to treat nausea from motion sickness is intranasal isopropyl alcohol.
Inhaling rubbing alcohol soaked into prep pads or tissues is a quick form of treatment for nausea.
https://intjem.biomedcentral.com/articl ... 334-z#Abs1

Greg Phillips, M.D.
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Re: CURE for Motion-Sickness!!!

Postby Anastasia525 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:11 am

Good tip about the alcohol, thanks Greg! I'll throw some packets in my glove box for others who might need them.
Anastasia Berta #525
Chief Driving Instructor, AX & PDS
Driving Instructor, DE/TT
PCASDR President
Anastasia525

Return to General Discussions