GO RSA!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

GO RSA!

Postby David J Marguglio on Wed May 18, 2005 9:35 am

Though this normally falls under Keith's baliwig, I feel compelled to point out the high number of RSA's in the top 10 last weekend. Four cars! And five if you count Martin, since his 964 is really "in the spirit" of an RSA. Five out of ten! As Keith might say, "Bob's your uncle...RSA's your Daddy!" :lol:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Burl East on Wed May 18, 2005 3:34 pm

David,

Martin is so KI, and truth be told so are you. see you in KI soon. 8)
Burl East
X-CDI
#975 'David M' Stompin RS America
BMW Z8
Aston Martin DB9 (as soon as I get some scratch)
Burl East
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Wed May 18, 2005 4:14 pm

How come we don't see the RSA group in the top ten at the big track events ? :lol: Here it comes.........
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Thu May 19, 2005 10:36 am

Burl: please refer to my points post under the KP thread.
Maria Sharapova
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Burl East on Thu May 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Kary, excellent Q. I have actually pondered this

First most of us don't really go to the big events with any degree of regularity. I go to one per year and David and Martin are infrequent as well. Only Bob B. I think does more than maybe a handful.
Second, most of us have our cars geared for AX, so its quickness over speed. I can't speak for others but my car simply stops going faster at about 135 due to gearing.
Third the 964 is not aerodynamic, which makes no diff at ax but is a very big deal at the larger tracks. Pushing air is a square function to speed, so once you get to WSIR type speeds, it's tougher.
Finally my RSA is the most highly modified in the bunch and I have 28 points - its not even close to maxed out in Improved, the rest of the guys pretend to be in Prepared and typically the top ten in track events are M cars and R cars.
Burl East
X-CDI
BMW Z8
Burl East
Autocrosser

Postby kary on Thu May 19, 2005 9:32 pm

Burl East wrote:Kary, excellent Q. I have actually pondered this

First most of us don't really go to the big events with any degree of regularity. I go to one per year and David and Martin are infrequent as well. Only Bob B. I think does more than maybe a handful.
Second, most of us have our cars geared for AX, so its quickness over speed. I can't speak for others but my car simply stops going faster at about 135 due to gearing.
Third the 964 is not aerodynamic, which makes no diff at ax but is a very big deal at the larger tracks. Pushing air is a square function to speed, so once you get to WSIR type speeds, it's tougher.
Finally my RSA is the most highly modified in the bunch and I have 28 points - its not even close to maxed out in Improved, the rest of the guys pretend to be in Prepared and typically the top ten in track events are M cars and R cars.

Jack runs a less modified car than you RSA's and he and I are in "I" not "M" or "R" and we are consistently in the top 10. Burl, sounds like a bit of an excuse maybe... :P Come on out and run with us regularly, it will be fun...after all you do not want Jad to always win at time trails do ya?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 pm

Yeah, it's an excuse. Truth is that neither Burl or Dave could handle being smoked by some noob in a 986S. Think of the shame. Jack is the only RSA-like that has an cajones, and we'll see how long that last once I start.... ummm... wait... nevermind... forget I said anything. There's nothing here for you to read... move on!

See ya at BW.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby jack miller on Fri May 20, 2005 8:05 am

kary wrote:
Burl East wrote:Kary, excellent Q. I have actually pondered this

Jack runs a less modified car than you RSA's and he and I are in "I" not "M" or "R" and we are consistently in the top 10. Burl, sounds like a bit of an excuse maybe... :P Come on out and run with us regularly, it will be fun...after all you do not want Jad to always win at time trails do ya?

Stops going faster after 135? :lol:
That pedal on the right? You have to press on it.
jack miller
Autocrosser

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri May 20, 2005 8:17 am

Burl,
I am confused, have you seen your car? Round, smooth slippery???
Not aero enough? Are you out of your mind? Try driving the brick I drive if you want to talk about un-aerodynamic.

Jack's 964 seems to do quite well at the big tracks. Out of the last 10 SDR TT's he has finished all in the top 10, and 7 times in the top 5! So what's the real excuse Burl??

As far as topping out at 135? That is perfect for BW, Streets, and Spring Mountain. So what is your excuse now? Tires not big enough? No that's not it, maybe it's something else??? :roll: :roll:

:burnout:
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby RickK on Fri May 20, 2005 9:26 am

I know I have I read that the 964 body was Porsche's most aero efficient design (low drag and low lift - good downforce???). I read this recently somewhere so I'm pretty sure they were taking the 993 into account, not sure about the 996+.
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Fri May 20, 2005 9:59 am

RickK wrote:I know I have I read that the 964 body was Porsche's most aero efficient design (low drag and low lift - good downforce???). I read this recently somewhere so I'm pretty sure they were taking the 993 into account, not sure about the 996+.

The 993 has more front lift in stock form than the 964. With the RS or RSCS aero stuff it is slightly better than the 964 RSA. This information came from the 993 RS/CS technical manual.

Oh Burl, Oh Burl, where are you?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby bobbrand on Fri May 20, 2005 10:33 am

kary wrote:How come we don't see the RSA group in the top ten at the big track events ? :lol: Here it comes.........

I think that Burl pointed out the biggest issue is that nobody goes.
But almost all of the cars in top-10 times on the tracks are using slicks, and slicks are illegal in KP. I think that 9/10 cars at Streets and 8/10 cars at Fontana were on slicks. I think that if I put big slicks on, I could get 1.5 seconds I need to get into top 10's -- not that I'm interested in using slicks in the near future. I'm happy to sit in the non-slick top 10.
bobbrand
Autocrosser

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri May 20, 2005 10:47 am

I think that Bob correctly identified the difference between fast and good.
Maria Sharapova
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Fri May 20, 2005 11:43 am

David J Marguglio wrote:I think that Bob correctly identified the difference between fast and good.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Burl East on Sat May 21, 2005 11:43 am

Bob and David

I need you to think up your own exudes to correspond to mine. COMe on guys.

Oh I forgot the best excuse. AT AX I drive 100% and for the most part am competitive. At the track I drive 90% at most. Where Jack is 3 inches from the left edge going into 9 at WSIR I am 2 or 3 feet. I don't go off, don't want to go off. I have to drive the car home form the event - this set's up an entirely different approach to the race. Besides the car is soo pretty. So there!
Burl East
X-CDI
BMW Z8
Burl East
Autocrosser

Next

Return to General Discussions