autocross

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

autocross

Postby Gary Burch on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:27 am

autocross program at lime rock
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a40741943/lime-rock-park-infield-course-history/

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/autocross-lapping-day-1pm-to-5pm-lime-rock-park-195042

Every autocross event put on by Lime Rock has instructors on duty to ensure you’re taking the right lines, along with strategically placed cones along the track to mark apexes and turning points, just like a real track day would. Except here, you don’t have to empty out your car, make sure your battery is strapped down, or wear a helmet. You don’t even need a roll bar if your car is a convertible. Programs start at $325 per session, or $550 per session if you jump up to the advanced driver coaching option, which allows half the participants but doubles the amount of instructors present.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Re: autocross

Postby dcarusillo on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm

I can understand not requiring a helmet....not having to take the groceries out of the back seat...of allowing trucks and vans....
But no required Tech Inspection?? Ludicrous !!!!!
Dan Carusillo
PCA-SDR Past President, Former VP & Treasurer
1976 3.0 Carrera (Slightly Modified for track use)
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby Gary Burch on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:23 am

Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:11 am

dcarusillo wrote:I can understand not requiring a helmet....not having to take the groceries out of the back seat...of allowing trucks and vans....
But no required Tech Inspection?? Ludicrous !!!!!

we are in the process of promoting self-tech
an effort to streamline and make events more attractive
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:13 am

Not to be negative, but don't all new parking lots have to have lots of lighting and planters, if not solar and many other items in the parking lot instead of the old style with just pavement??? I didn't think they could build a usable new parking lot.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby dcarusillo on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 am

we are in the process of promoting self-tech
an effort to streamline and make events more attractive

I concur and Brilliant!
Dan Carusillo
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby dcarusillo on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:58 am

Not to be negative, but don't all new parking lots have to have lots of lighting and planters, if not solar and many other items in the parking lot instead of the old style with just pavement??? I didn't think they could build a usable new parking lot.

What about an off-road course in the "Future River Park"/ non profit affordable housing homelessness therapy grounds?
Dan Carusillo
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby keefer on Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:41 am

Jad,

New parking lots have all the lighting and planters and that is required. I spoke at length with a customer of mine who also worked for Southland Paving before retirement and he told me that most of the mini islands with tress serve multiple purposes. Most importantly is water diversion and direction. Modern parking lots are more than meets the eye when it comes to engineering. He told me that even if a group were to buy say 20 acres of land for the sole purpose of building an autocross lot, they'd have a really hard time getting approval of just a flat lot with no plan that addresses water flow.
Chris Keefer
keefer

Postby Gary Burch on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:33 am

keefer wrote:Jad,

New parking lots have all the lighting and planters and that is required. I spoke at length with a customer of mine who also worked for Southland Paving before retirement and he told me that most of the mini islands with tress serve multiple purposes. Most importantly is water diversion and direction. Modern parking lots are more than meets the eye when it comes to engineering. He told me that even if a group were to buy say 20 acres of land for the sole purpose of building an autocross lot, they'd have a really hard time getting approval of just a flat lot with no plan that addresses water flow.

what water flow?
hope they are right and it will rain again
even with some obstacles, if given the opportunity, we could make it work
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:34 pm

keefer wrote:Jad,

Jad and Chris: I spent a fair number of years on grading jobs... including the parking lots at Petco Park, Legoland, etc. Chris is correct, water flow management during a rain storm is required. However, typical flow requirement can be as simple as a 2% fall (angle) for water to flow toward a "collection area". (Think about the old swale-and-box-inlet system at thd old Q parking lots.) The collection area then directs the water to "discharge" points (usually underground storm drain piping). Another example is the mild "crowning" of wide roadways where the center of the road is higher than the edges. The water travels to the edges of the road and into swales, drainage ditches, or inlet boxes during a storm.

So, yes, a large plot of A/C could be designed that could be "relatively" flat (2% fall isn't much) and contain both a series of perimeter swales and box inlets. If you "crowned" the entire site with a 2% fall, and put collection swales and drains on the outside/perimeter... you're good to go.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby marcus981 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:42 am

So far the lots at SDSU's new stadium have only light poles and no other obstacles, so that's a good sign for us. Gary has been in contact with them.

Here's a recent aerial photo showing the finished south lot and the even larger east lot that is currently still gravel with light poles. Not sure yet when that one will be paved.
Aerial Photo of Snapdragon Stadium

Here's an updated parking map graphic (Gary's previous link was apparently changed):
Snapdragon Stadium Parking Map
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions