Sunday 9-10-23 AX THANKS!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Sunday 9-10-23 AX THANKS!

Postby Bill Behun on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:11 pm

The Sunday autocross at the North Island Credit Union Amphitheater went very well! It's been a loooong time since we could have an autocross in San Diego County.
About 65 autocrossers and we had plenty of laps. Most times were in the middle 50 seconds range so a pleasant surprise.
I'd like to thank the following folks for us all to be able to put on this nice event.
Jason McClure for stepping up to take on the Autocross Chair position and re-invigorating the program and almost from scratch.
Herb Meeder for staying with timing and getting it to work almost perfectly. Also with Tom Brown helping getting the system updated.
Fred Yip & Rick Richardson taking on Pre-registration and day of registration duties. The computer system changed some so they had new work to do to get things going.
Mike & Megan Jennings for taking on the event logistics - meaning getting drinks, tons of coffee, ice, morning food and a pizza lunch for us all.
Mike & Megan Jennings for getting the trailer to the venue at 5:20 am (how early did they have to get up?) and back to the storage facility in Miramar. Thanks for using your truck!!
Mike & Megan Jennings for working the start line and queuing the cars to the start line.
Roger Bush for getting the needed equipment updated and the missing items re-stocked.
Ian Mcntyre for taking on the Corner Working Chair and all the organizing it entails at the event.
Mike Miller & myself for taking on the Tech Chair duties when we knew almost nothing about the duties. Mike will continue as the Tech Chair (and I'll help).
All knowing Steve Grosekemper & Dan Chambers for giving us their early morning to make sure the tech inspections went well.
Jerry Bumpus and Vinh Ly for taking on Safety Chair duties and we had no incidents. Good job.
Marcus Kramer for a well designed track that was safe, fast and fun!
Marcus Kramer, Roger Bush & myself for laying out the track Saturday evening.
Andrew & Karen Raines for giving up their early morning to operate the registration desk.
Anastasia & Ryan McClune being our Chief Driving Instructors again.
Ben Smith for using his truck as needed for setting out the cones and then picking up the cones.
Ex-prez Dan Carusillo for reminding us all to "not hit (stuff)"
And all the other folks I missed who helped out with setting up the morning and taking things down,loading the truck at the end of the day.
Lookng forward to our November AX at the venue! Thanks all, Bill :D
'80 911SC (AX FUN)
'94 968 "Practical" Porsche
Bill Behun
Time Trialer

Re: Sunday 9-10-23 AX THANKS!

Postby dcarusillo on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:16 am

Super fun and a darn good track. Pleasantly surprised from a Driver's standpoint.
Am I correct in reminding us that the next AX is on Oct. 8th??
Dan Carusillo
PCA-SDR Past President, Former VP & Treasurer
1976 3.0 Carrera (Slightly Modified for track use)
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:01 pm

dcarusillo wrote:Super fun and a darn good track. Pleasantly surprised from a Driver's standpoint.
Am I correct in reminding us that the next AX is on Oct. 8th??

Dan,
The Oct. 8th AX was shown as cancelled in the last email I received listing PCA-SDR events.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby kecho on Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:20 am

How long was the track? Anyone have a drawing/layout available to view? 1st and 2nd gear track?
Chris Stavros
kecho

Postby ttweed on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:50 am

kecho wrote:How long was the track? Anyone have a drawing/layout available to view? 1st and 2nd gear track?

It was about a 50-60 second course. TTOD was a low 48 by Joe Parsons in a well-prepped Tesla Model 3. He ran several 47s in practice. I don't know if anyone got into 3rd gear. Here's the map:Image

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby kleggo on Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:28 pm

What does well - prepped mean for a tesla?
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:49 am

kleggo wrote:What does well - prepped mean for a tesla?

At a minimum, race wheels and tires and the suspension bits to allow sufficient negative camber to make them work well, as well as sway bar and aero improvements. This particular car was running 305 square setup (stock is 235) and had a complete Unplugged Performance suspension setup.
https://unpluggedperformance.com/

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby kleggo on Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:37 pm

Thanks tom