CO2 refilling?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby kary on Tue May 31, 2005 3:19 pm

Ok, here is what I learned from the guys who developed this high flow CO2 unit:

"CO2 is a vapor as it is used in the Power Tanks which has a minute amount of moisture that is less than air from typical compressors. In fact CO2 leaves no residue in soda or beer as it is used to push them from kegs. If you blow air from a compressor onto the floor you will sometimes see moisture left on the floor. You will see no trace of moisture from CO2.

CO2 vapor is inert and therefore has no effect on rubber. As stated above, there is virtually no moisture content so steel corrosion does not happen.

As far as thermal expansion, CO2 vapor is the same as air (1 psi per 17 degrees F).

Here is one more myth about CO2. CO2 leaks out of tires faster than air. This is incorrect. The CO2 molecule size is virtually the same as an N2 molecule but is of a different shape. If there were any difference in leakage through a porous rubber tire it would be negligible.

The truth is, CO2 is not as thermally stable as "dry" N2 out of an N2 bottle, but its thermal expansion value is the same as air which is mostly N2 but has O2 and H2O also. CO2 does have the great characteristic of pressure regeneration within the tank and therefore supplies a constant high energy source of tire inflations (impact tools) use throughout the life of the material. Compared to N2 or scuba you'll get more cubic feet of air from CO2 per a given tank size."

I tested my CO2 tank and my compressor and you'll never guess what was on the floor.....yes water from the compressor and nothing from the CO2 tank. I think there is a reason these tanks are a bit more expensive than other solutions as it is not the standard CO2 regulator......
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby sdether on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:21 pm

Not sure if you've found a place, but I've had good luck with WestAir. http://www.sdws.com/ I've had them fill up my CO2 tanks while I waited a couple of time. For Nitrogen, I had to go to their El Cajon store. Of course this is all for home brew uses, i.e. low pressure.
sdether

Previous

Return to General Discussions