New Time Trial records page!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:35 pm

Kary,
I for one think the new track records page is very cool even though I will never see my name appear on it. It is also interesting to compare older records when we know car and especially tire technology is advancing so quickly. There will be issues about class as GSS for instance will have completely different cars in it from 2004 to 2005 to 2006.

No GSS 944 will ever beat the GSS 911E record for WSIR.

As for my pass Dan should be glad it was me and not Tim Comeau, as it was my corner and if you listen to Tim's philosophy on whose corner it is you will need more than paint work (Those in the dark need to see Tim's Mad Max style video footage of the Tecate GP)

And speaking of almost... Almost fortunately doesn't count. Like Dan almost made top 10. But he must have made top 10 in BRI...Top 20??? Ouch 23rd in such a finely prepared car?
That's like a D- isn't it???
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Pete Millikin on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:55 pm

Regardless of the color of the cone, the mark it leaves on a car is evil and black. So isn't a black colored car just disguising cone marks and driving mistakes? Jad calls it a rattle can paint job, I call it a cover up! :twisted:
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:26 pm

Dan couldn't be 23rd in the BRI. My DAD was 21st! Granted, he is not as old as Dan, but it was his first track event :lol:

Laugh at my rattle can paint, but when I had a show car paint job like Dan's and Curt's, I was slow like Dan and Curt. Now that my car looks more like Steve's, I seem to be in the Top Ten most of the time. Hey, once I rattle can the back half of the car, maybe I will catch Steve :roll:

And Kary, the records are great, I just need competition for discussion, right now I have the track record in KP for every track I have run, and even a few in KS - Take that aircooled KP :P
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:28 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:Kary,
I for one think the new track records page is very cool even though I will never see my name appear on it. It is also interesting to compare older records when we know car and especially tire technology is advancing so quickly. There will be issues about class as GSS for instance will have completely different cars in it from 2004 to 2005 to 2006.

No GSS 944 will ever beat the GSS 911E record for WSIR.

As for my pass Dan should be glad it was me and not Tim Comeau, as it was my corner and if you listen to Tim's philosophy on whose corner it is you will need more than paint work (Those in the dark need to see Tim's Mad Max style video footage of the Tecate GP)

And speaking of almost... Almost fortunately doesn't count. Like Dan almost made top 10. But he must have made top 10 in BRI...Top 20??? Ouch 23rd in such a finely prepared car?
That's like a D- isn't it???

You are right Steve, there will be issues with classes and cars as we move forward. I could set something up like I did for the BRI that applies the records according to a time frame thus could reset certain classes based upon time frames when classifications change. But then it will get complicated to allow users to search certain time frames for records way back when this and that car were in different classes, but then who really cares about 5 years when we changed the GSS class.

I thought it would be cool to have current records and allow people to try and break them at whatever the current rules/classifications are now. we can also use records to discuss the validity of the BRI rather than comapring against all drivers, Oh I did not say that out load did I? :roll:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:05 am

Jad wrote:Dan couldn't be 23rd in the BRI. My DAD was 21st! Granted, he is not as old as Dan, but it was his first track event :lol:

Laugh at my rattle can paint, but when I had a show car paint job like Dan's and Curt's, I was slow like Dan and Curt. Now that my car looks more like Steve's, I seem to be in the Top Ten most of the time. Hey, once I rattle can the back half of the car, maybe I will catch Steve :roll:

And Kary, the records are great, I just need competition for discussion, right now I have the track record in KP for every track I have run, and even a few in KS - Take that aircooled KP
:P

Why don't Curt & I just lay down and you can drive the Bus over us?? :lol:

Dear Steve, I have the in car video of the close call :shock: and I was over to the right slowed down and pointing your red butt by, It may have been your corner, if we were W2W racing. :wink: Isn't it the responsibility of the passer for a pass at a TT? At least thats what I have been told. :wink: If I was over to the left at the kink I didn't realize it, I was trying to let several people by while I had Mike G in the car for pointers. Thanks for not hitting me..  :bowdown: :D
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:12 am

gulf911 wrote:
Why don't Curt & I just lay down and you can drive the Bus over us?? :lol:

Uh..... Dan, I think they've already left enough tread-marks on your forehead. You don't want any more do you?

(I never thought I'd have pitty for Dan A., and Curt A., but they've been completely trounced on this thread. It's okay guys, I still think you're okay, as lawn-mower operators go... :wink: )
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:43 am

...be glad it was me and not Tim Comeau, as it was my corner and if you listen to Tim's philosophy on whose corner it is you will need more than paint work...

I know this thread is for the most part tongue in cheek, but I felt compelled to make weigh in on this particular comment because it is 1: a gross mischaracterization, and 2: because it is far easier to get a reputation as an unsafe racer than it is to live that reputation down; ask Steve Bernheim for instance. I raced with Tim all last season in equally matched cars and I can say unequivocally that there is no one in this club that I would rather have side-view mirrors locked with than Tim. Tim is not only a talented driver, but he is the embodiment of the “gentleman racer” and will always room to race.

There, I can step down off my soap box and use it to catch the flack that will now be doubtlessly thrown my way. :wink:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:53 am

Dan,
It is the passers responsibility to safely complete the pass as the passee (that's you) maintains his line. It's OK, no harm, no foul.

I am just glad I was able to smell the ben-gay as I passed you, :wink: indicating closer than normal distance between us. That's what you are supposed to do, identify the problem, formulate a solution, and execute the plan. :burnout:

BTW- screaming like a school girl in not a plan, it is a reaction... :roll:

In all seriousness I love having your whole group in red, you all drive well and make me feel like I am driving so much faster than I actually am! :o

I just wish I could have heard the audio of all that from you and Curt!
Steve Grosekemper #97
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:02 am

Let me clear up any confusion on this subject. Tim is a very fine SAFE and talented driver (Oh, that really hurt). But those of us at dinner Saturday night got to see Tim "make contact" with another car in his Mex-GP video footage. He then stood up and proudly defended his right to the corner. It was great video! and Tim was very amusing, but nobody at my table was buying the story... and won't be running that race so it is a mute point.

In closing.... Tim Good safe driver - Steve smart a**
Steve Grosekemper #97
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:27 am

Steve, I am sorry; I should have been more specific. Tim is a gentleman driver on US soil and, like Las Vegas, what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico. :wink:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Curt on Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:34 pm

Dan Chambers wrote:(I never thought I'd have pitty for Dan A., and Curt A., but they've been completely trounced on this thread. It's okay guys, I still think you're okay, as lawn-mower operators go... :wink: )

Trounced? Cause Kary is talking about being faster than 911's that are 25 YEARS OLDER THAN HIS?!!!!!?

Maybe Kary should concentrate on trying to hang with a 911 that is only 16 years older than his and focus on staying just ahead of a 911 that is 5 years older than his? :wink:

For DECADES, these early cars used to be pretty dominant in these TT events, but as these 964's and 993's and 944 Turbos and Boxsters are getting more and more developed these older cars are FINALLY starting to show their age. So they were ONLY ( ) competitive for 25 years. That's not too bad of a track record. Now Mike Gagen could probably still be competitive in one, but his driving is at a whole 'nother level.

Don't think I'm not seriously contemplating buying a car that will work with me to help me achieve fast lap times as opposed to racing a car that seems like it is always looking for the perfect opportunity to flip me off the track into the weeds.

As for Jads trash talking us, what can we say? He is our daddy and we are his b'yatches. :D :D

And who is this Dan Chambers character, and why does he have a picture of a monterey jack cheese wedge as his avatar? :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:21 pm

Don't think I'm not seriously contemplating buying a car that will work with me to help me achieve fast lap times as opposed to racing a car that seems like it is always looking for the perfect opportunity to flip me off the track into the weeds.

I hear Yugo is making a comeback... :rockon:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:48 pm

Curt wrote:
Trounced? Cause Kary is talking about being faster than 911's that are 25 YEARS OLDER THAN HIS?!!!!!?

Maybe Kary should concentrate on trying to hang with a 911 that is only 16 years older than his and focus on staying just ahead of a 911 that is 5 years older than his? :wink:

Curt, not sure where I said anyting about trouncing old 911's, but thanks for bringing me into your trash talking. What would be the point of beating your your old bones....ah I mean old 911, no real challenge there :roll:

As far as staying ahead of 5 year older 911's, you only wish you could beat Jack in his old 911/964 :lol:
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Curt on Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:32 pm

kary wrote:I thought this thread might spur on some discussion around track records, comparisons, etc, instead it has bottomed out like Dan and Curt's face as I go flying by them on the track :lol: Sorry could not resist!

Not sure where you trash talked the old 911 boys? Uh, I was referring to the above quoted post from way back......... yesterday. :D

Yeah, of course I wish I could beat Jack in his car that is 19 years newer than mine. But to make mine a similar challenge to what you face with Jack, I would need to beat a car that was built in 1968. Bring it on! :D

Old bones? I think I'm in the minority of PCA TT'ers here in that I can say that I'm still on the right side of 40. :D
Curt
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to General Discussions