HANS Device

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby C.Plavan on Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:08 am

You guys will notice a new ad coming up in the Witness in Dec or Jan. I have been a Porsche owner and PCA memeber for a long time. Some of you may know of the Plavan Racing Clan. I have a side business where I sell Ultra lap timers and now the R3 Device.
If you are in the market for a H&N restraint, you should really consider the R3.

The New R3 has passed the same SFI (NASCAR) ratings as the HANS.
Some of the key benefits:
1. You can now have H&N protection with “stock” 3 point seatbelts
2. The R3 does not rely on the belts to protect your head & neck
3. Perfect for instructors who have to ride in students cars
4. No need to change current harness setup in car
5. Full carbon fiber with quick releases STANDARD.
6. More comfortable/versatile than competing device

For more info goto www.R3device.com

Thanks,
Chad
J. Chad Plavan
1969 911 E race car 2.5L shorty.
www.Plavanracing.com
www.ultralaptimers.com
www.R3device.com
C.Plavan

Postby Ted Myrus on Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:30 pm

Just a small testomonial to the effectiveness of good safety equipment. My car is/was equipped with a full cage and five point belts. The driver wore a full face helmet with a face shield and a HANS device.

I was running the Porsche 2 liter race at the Inaugural Palm Springs Revival when I over drove the second corner. Went in to fast, saw an opportunity to put another 911 behind me, passed him on the inside, had a bad line, came out too, fast caught a wheel off the track and rolled 2 1/2 times into the tullies. Driver o.k., cars a mess. Buy a head and neck device. :(
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:52 am

Yikes, Ted! Was this the HSR race just this last weekend in Palm Springs? The important thing is that you're OK, but that's a shame your pretty little yellow car got hurt. :(

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Curt on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:02 am

I was at the HSR races in Palm Springs this weekend. From the grandstands, all I could see was a huge trail of dust. When the dust cleared, I saw that it was Ted's car and the firemen were sprinting to it. I was relieved when I saw Ted get out. The car looked bad when he was putting it in the trailer. I hope it can be saved.

Curt Anderson
Curt
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:55 am

:bigcry: At least you are OK. Hopefully the "real" Porsche can be saved.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby RickK on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:59 pm

Interesting new video from Isaac from their recent SFI 38.1 protocol test. This video shows side by side the HANS and Isaac devices.
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Video/SFIBoth.mpg
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:14 pm

RickK wrote:Interesting new video from Isaac from their recent SFI 38.1 protocol test. This video shows side by side the HANS and Isaac devices.
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Video/SFIBoth.mpg

Very compelling video, but then I already bought the Isaac because I know that it will never come off in an accident whether it be a frontal or side impact.

The Isaac also does not require significant changes to your driver area to utilize the device like the HANS does. Most folks do not make the adjustments for the HANS so they will not find out until it is too late..... :o

Whatever track drivers do, buy something but I recommend the Isaac even before that video. Now that the video is out there I do not think there is a choice.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with Isaac or obtain any compensation. They do not have a dealer program or any incentive program. My comments are from actual use and research.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Chris Benbow on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:31 pm

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing in this video but I wasn't really impressed with a difference. Yes the HANS comes out from under the shoulder harness but it appears to still prevent the head from moving forward as much as the Isaac. It does appear that the Isaac prevents lateral motion more than the HANS.
I know they stretch and everything but those harnesses don't look real tight either. Might that make it easier for the HANS to slip out?
I'm also thinking that the way I sit in a car my head would stop moving forward well before these dummies simply because it would hit the steering wheel.
I know...I'm crazy...These things save lives and I can't believe that I haven't gotten one yet. I'm just trying to figure out which one really works the best in all situations and when I see stuff like this it just raises more questions, not answers.
Personally, I think we are way early in the whole process of developing this form of safety equipment. None of the current devices appear to be really effective and easy to wear. A few years from now we'll cringe at the thought of having used such primitive stuff.
Still, right now it's better than nothing.
Chris Benbow

Postby kary on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:14 pm

Chris Benbow wrote:Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing in this video but I wasn't really impressed with a difference. Yes the HANS comes out from under the shoulder harness but it appears to still prevent the head from moving forward as much as the Isaac. It does appear that the Isaac prevents lateral motion more than the HANS.
I know they stretch and everything but those harnesses don't look real tight either. Might that make it easier for the HANS to slip out?
I'm also thinking that the way I sit in a car my head would stop moving forward well before these dummies simply because it would hit the steering wheel.
I know...I'm crazy...These things save lives and I can't believe that I haven't gotten one yet. I'm just trying to figure out which one really works the best in all situations and when I see stuff like this it just raises more questions, not answers.
Personally, I think we are way early in the whole process of developing this form of safety equipment. None of the current devices appear to be really effective and easy to wear. A few years from now we'll cringe at the thought of having used such primitive stuff.
Still, right now it's better than nothing.

Chris, I think the important indicator is the arm in the HANS video that stays down while the head moves the same as the Isaac. The Isaac the arms fly up which means the body and head moved together. The HANS the arms stays down thus meaning the head moved much more than the body. That is a problem. Remember, it is about keeping the head movement differential to the body minimized, not how much overall the head moves.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby C.Plavan on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:16 pm

Disclaimer: I am a R3 dealer. I have talked with The LFT Technologies engineer for 45 min about this video. He was shocked watching it. The Isaac will never be SFI approved. The website is very misleading.

I personally can't believe he would post a video of his device working like that. Everyone look at the Isaac side of the video and forget about the HANS. After the impact, the "shock absorbers" go rigid. That is a problem, because now the head is sort of on "stilts". Now, look at the dummies left harness attachment point. It is now in FRONT of the driver and the shock absorber "RODS" are tweaking the head to the side.... Now just imagine another impact (multiple impacts) with a device like that..... Buyer beware.
J. Chad Plavan
1969 911 E race car 2.5L shorty.
www.Plavanracing.com
www.ultralaptimers.com
www.R3device.com
C.Plavan

Postby Mike on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:19 pm

For sale like new 1 year old HANs only worn a couple of times, comes with Helmet hardware too. $600.
PM me if interested.:D
You guys watch some scary movies!:shock:
Mike
Club Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions