Player's Run comes to San Diego

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Player's Run comes to San Diego

Postby David Ray on Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:29 pm

The 215 south this afternoon was filled with these fools - after last week's incident this was scary during rush hour.

http://www.playersrun.com/history/index05.html
David Ray
Autocrosser

Postby sdether on Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:08 pm

Saw a GT2 decked in their insignia on the 5 heading south during rush hour this evening
sdether

Postby TheStig on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:15 pm

Ah yes people who really throw money at their problems. Although I really like all the cars they drive, some of the people I bet are a tad on the snooty side and think they can pay the cops off just to go over 140 mph
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby rss996 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey stig, be careful about judging people you have never met....

Ben in lj who died was one of the most generous wealthy people you could ever hope to meet.

Some of those rich snooty people raise and donate a hell of a lot of money to charities as well...
rss996
Autocrosser

Postby ceokid on Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:05 pm

rss996 wrote:Hey stig, be careful about judging people you have never met....

Ben in lj who died was one of the most generous wealthy people you could ever hope to meet.

Some of those rich snooty people raise and donate a hell of a lot of money to charities as well...

Definetly true!
ceokid

Postby Jad on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:14 am

A black players run GT2 and a silver 993TT (without signs) were parked near my house for several hours yesterday. Not sure if they were at the beach or where, but they were nice cars. Would be fun to test for a few laps at a track, but a bit ridiculous for street cars IMHO. :?
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:13 am

ceokid wrote:
rss996 wrote:Hey stig, be careful about judging people you have never met....

Definetly true!

Also note that to the vast majority of the populous we are those rich snooty people.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby ajackson on Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:07 am

993TT and (to a lesser extent) GT2's are street cars. You could probably get a track machine that would be much faster for much cheaper. Machines meant just for going fast are completely different than a production street car. Something that I always keep in mind, a shifter kart is MUCH faster than any street car. Can't drive it to a nice dinner on fri night though. Tom Tweeds Super 7 replica is also ridiculously fast (faster than a 993tt, don't know about a gt2) and you can even take a passenger and drive it on the street.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby TheStig on Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:23 am

I didn't mean to offend some of you. Some of those guys racing on the street are probably cool, but at the same time they are endangering others around them on the freeway. I have this one video called Mischief 3000 where there was a Gumball all the way to LA and one of the BMW M Coupes was ran off the road by a disgruntled semi-truck driver at this guy's reckless intentions. Had there been someone behind him I'm sure he would've been taken out too.

Just showing some concern for some of the motorists out there. I know many of you are nice people and I wasn't aiming my comments at anyone in PCA. My appologies.
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:04 am

Go to their website and read what they are all about before judging.

http://www.playersrun.com/history/index05.html

This is what they say:

:: CAUTION ::
Playersrun is not a race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration or for the purpose of making a speed record. Participants must not compete with other drivers in any manner, apart from on designated racetracks. In particular, Participants must not race with other drivers. Participants must not place any bets of any kind in relation to the event. Participants must drive safely and with proper courtesy to all other participants and members of the public. Participants must comply with all applicable laws and regulations whilst in the country visited. Including without limit, appropriate laws of the road, the laws relating to the road worthiness of your vehicle and the laws relating to the possession, or importation of prohibited substances, illegal immigrants, goods or offensive weapons of any kind. Please note that ANYONE caught racing on the public highway will be excluded from further participation in the event immediately and will be banned from any future events. No refunds will be made, and all privileges will be withdrawn.

I read it thinking it was a very un-PC and irresponsible event. After reading it it seems to me they are more a bunch of car freaks who want to more than park these special cars in their garages. They want to driver them and socalize with some friends...sound familiar??

They tour to tracks and resturants and hotels over a 5 day period....Sounds kinda cool. But I am just reading what they are saying about their own event.

Hmmm....Fontana, big & little willow, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Infineon, with a bunch of 5 star resorts in between? Sweet! Can we get the Social chairs working on this???
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby TheStig on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 am

Player's Run and Gumball must be 2 completely different events. This one is sanctioning speeding. Included under the waiver are very strict guidelines too about the event and irresponsibilty and its consequences; of course on any rally though there's going to be speeding and people racing eachother. I wonder if the majority of those are reported.

Maybe recently they made changes to this due to the defamation of these rallies by people racing eachother on the highways in order to enforce the rules of the Player's Run.

Looking at the Gumball site right now, I'm noticing they aren't as controlled as the Player's Run. The one that was on the DVD had a policy that wasn't as strict as this year's Player's Run. They alerted individuals participating that they may face severe penalty by law if caught speeding or reckless driving. However, the group wasn't against these acts...

The 2005 Gumball 3000 was recently in Europe though, some countries had no real speed limit to follow :lol: I had the wrong impression about the Player's Run. A social like that as well as a tour across the country would be a great idea and fun to attend though. hmm...
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
TheStig
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions