TRG goes to Pontiacs!!!!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

TRG goes to Pontiacs!!!!

Postby RickK on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:21 pm

What a shame, no more Porsche racing from a very successful team.
RickK
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say "no more Porsche racing". I got it from inside that any time Kevin drives it will still be in a Porsche. Couldn't really blame them though. Porsche said "You pay full price just like everyone else. No deals dude!" Whereas Pontiac said "You guys are doing an awesome job with DP! Here's a few GTOs, oh and BTW you get all factory support you need."

When a sponsor leaves (New Century) you because you get snubbed from the factory (Porsche) you have to do the responsible thing.

Even still they offer great Porsche Club racing support. And also support a couple cars in IMSA's new GT3 Cup Challenge.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby MVZ944T on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 am

Warren Chang brought his new IMSA GT3 to the SWO last weekend and smoked everyone by about 5-6 seconds.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:40 am

TRG has been running Pontiac in the DP cars so this is no surprise.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:25 am

Rick: the real shame is that Porsche does not use all of its record profits (am I the only one tired of hearing that?) to better support their customer teams. :roll:

On the other hand...plenty of people would like to race Porsches..the same can not be said of Pontiac.
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:52 am

David J Marguglio wrote:Rick: the real shame is that Porsche does not use all of its record profits (am I the only one tired of hearing that?) to better support their customer teams. :roll:

On the other hand...plenty of people would like to race Porsches..the same can not be said of Pontiac.

David, so for those that track cars, you think that people would pass up the opportunity to run a factory Pontaic DP/Grand Am car for instance, or are you saying people would just not try and pursue a factory Pontiac race car in those series?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:09 am

David J Marguglio wrote:On the other hand...plenty of people would like to race Porsches..the same can not be said of Pontiac.

If TRG was just any 'ole Porsche racing team I might be able to see the logic behind that. But TRG has a record of taking Porsche's to the front when no one else could. TRG *should* be Porsche's golden child, second only to maybe to Alex Job. Not sure what Penske has done for Porsche lately (when was the last time Penske raced a Porsche?). I expected the Prototype to go to either TRG or Alex. But I was way off on that one :shock:.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions