Attention 986 abusers!

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Attention 986 abusers!

Postby MikeD on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:38 pm

There is an article in Excellence about Boxster Spec racing. I haven't read it, but have seen some quotes and hear it's a pretty good article. That, plus previous talk about a 911 Spec class has sparked interest in creating a 986 Spec class for POC. Unlike the proposed 911 Spec though, I am trying to see if it's possible to include all 986 years and variations (thoughts and ideas welcome).

Eventually, this class could make its way to PCA TT and possibly AX. Once we have some idea about the rules I will submit them through the Zone 8 rules adoption process. But for now I would like to hear thoughts and opinions on this subject from current (and past) 986 abusers.

* Would you be interested in joining the class?
* If you're a member of POC also, would you consider signing the petition?
* What would you like to see included in the Spec?

Sorry 987 folks, trying to include your cars in the class would mean adding so much weight to your cars it would not be any fun for you. Maybe we can morph you into future revisions of the rules.

Thanks,
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby kurquhart on Tue May 02, 2006 10:10 am

What is the current status on a Boxster Spec class in POC and/or PCA?
Kris Urquhart
1990 C2
2005 CS
kurquhart
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm

If you give me your boxster I will particpate :)
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Tue May 02, 2006 2:18 pm

There's at least one car running in class with POC. Mind Over has a car that is close, but I don't think they have run it in class yet (wrong tires I believe). Stuttgart seems to have taken the lead on building the cars. Although, I think Mind Over is the place to go in S.D. as they were very involved in developing the rules.

The rules have not been published in POC GCR's yet because they are waiting on the BOD to finalize them. As far as I know there are no points that are being disputed, just waiting on the rubber stamp.

If I ever get off my butt, I will be submitting them to Steve G. for inclusion in the Zone 8/SDR 2007 rules.

So this class is by no means dead. Just takes a while to get everything together and working.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Tue May 02, 2006 3:28 pm

I would only be interested in a spec class if it were basically stock. Spending lots of money for GT3 suspension, etc, etc does not make sense to me. The Miata class which I almost entered was done right. Buy car with hard top, buy rollbar, buy ~$2k mod kit. Done. No other mods allowed. Rims stock, brakes stock, suspension stock (other than kit), weight must be xxx for this model yyy for this model.

Go race.

That makes so much more sense to me than fully modifying cars all to be the same minus $50k of weight. :roll:

Keep us posted on the progress as the concept sounded interesting to me, but the rules I saw were not.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Brad Roberts on Wed May 10, 2006 10:34 pm

would only be interested in a spec class if it were basically stock. Spending lots of money for GT3 suspension, etc, etc does not make sense to me. The Miata class which I almost entered was done right. Buy car with hard top, buy rollbar, buy ~$2k mod kit. Done. No other mods allowed. Rims stock, brakes stock, suspension stock (other than kit), weight must be xxx for this model yyy for this model.

You are *allowed* to install GT3 Street lower control arms for more neg camber (about $380 oer side)

This is as close to Miata as I could possibly make it. I was *basically* the POC's tech guy on these cars. The exhaust is stock (you can change the muffler) NO chips.. Stock Boxster 17inch rims..

The MOM car *might* have 25k in it if I added real carefully. The base car was 15k because it already had a hard top and sway bars. You can pick the donor cars up for around 10k depending on mileage. The MOM car has 185k on the chassis. We replaced the axles. The engine had been replaced with a 45k mile prior to purchase.

I spent years working with Spec Miata builders in NorCal. The top cars are well into the 20K+ range for a front runner.

The Boxster 2.5 engines can be had used for under $2500. The tranny's are under 1k used. New engines from Porsche are under $4000.

Comparison: Blow the $20 belt on your Spec 944 and it will run you close to 3k to properly fix it (Hi Tim..LOL)

B
Brad Roberts
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions