Time Trial resuslts are posted here.......

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Time Trial resuslts are posted here.......

Postby kary on Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:48 pm

http://web2.pcasdr.org/pca/pca.php?database=tt

It was 104 during timed runs, pretty good times given the temps and wind :)
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:56 am

Hot it was. I put my Goodyears on Saturday. I had a soft compound in the rear and the harder ones in front. That did not work,so I swapped them. Went out Sunday morning and the front end was shaking like it was going to come undone. Took them off and put the Toyo's on. Besides losing the weights, I had enough rubber on the inside edge of the fronts to mold a new tire. 375 compund on a Goodyear does not work when it is hot, at least on my car. On the other had, with the exception of being a heavier tire, the Toyo's are just about the best tire I have run for overall grip, lack of fade, and durability.

At any rate, it was hot enough. I do have to remember not to try and push start someone on a hot day, just about did me in!
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby JHPGT3 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:39 am

Hey Mike,
You're up and posting very early this am! You still excited by your excellent TT run or did you have too many brownies? :lol:
JHPGT3
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:56 am

JHPGT3 wrote:Hey Mike,
You're up and posting very early this am! You still excited by your excellent TT run or did you have too many brownies? :lol:

John, you took me out this event, nice time! I had a good first lap but I really screwed up on the second lap, missed the shift going into turn 1 from 5 to 4 and came out in no gear. Then I went sideways going up the hill at turn 3....I knew that lap was toast by then. Wish I had not choked as I was sure there was a 32 in that second lap once the tires warmed up.

Overall I thought the times were really good given the heat and the wind coming up. Turn 8 was a bit more challenging during the timed runs because it was pushing the car out to the left which is not where I like to be.

Well done everyone, no major issues or break downs that I know of ( except for my cracked windshield and deformed overheat left rear tire :) )
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

RESULTS POSTED AS OF NOW ARE INCORRECT

Postby Robert on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:19 am

I apologize, but the timing program is using everyone's FIRST two laps rather than their LAST two. This causes a problem for many people due to a wiring quirk at big Willow, where people with strong transponders trigger the system when they start out in the hot pit. Thus, the warm up lap can generate a lap time. Then if the first two times are used, they are the warm up lap and timed lap 1. Timed lap 2 is therefore ignored.

At most tracks this would not be a problem because the hot pit does not trigger the system. In that case it would only be a problem for people who need re-runs. Working on a fix now and will post here once it's corrected.
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby pdy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:31 am

Rob:

Thanks for fixing, plus all your hard work this weekend (and
many others!)!

Question - could some cars also record another fake lap on
the return road by the timing tower? I don't know what the
solution is, just a heads up.

Thanks again!

Paul.
pdy
Time Trialer

Postby Robert on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:48 am

No, fortunately that's not a problem. The issue is specifically isolated to the hot pit. Thanks.
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:03 am

Does this mean my times are wrong?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby pdy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:31 am

Your's personally, probably not. You are listed as
1st lap 2nd lap
93.68 95.41
which appears correct.

Mine, for example is
1st lap 2nd lap
113.6 100.31
where the first lap is from a standing start on the grid. My second
lap was better than my first, according to my HotLap.

Some folks are correct (they didn't register while on grid), but
others show the warmup lap (from standing start) and first hot
lap because the transducer recorded them on grid.

Paul.
pdy
Time Trialer

DNF's

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:07 pm

I asked this question to the group from Buttonwillow and was ignored, so I will pose it again. Why are there such a high number of DNF's at a TT? Last weekend it was 19 out of 44 and I believe Buttonwillow was similar. Anyone???
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:12 pm

I would lthink mine was correct as the starter told me not to get near the loop in the hot pits before starting and the fact that I really blew the second lap tells me my times were accurate.

pdy wrote:Your's personally, probably not. You are listed as
1st lap 2nd lap
93.68 95.41
which appears correct.

Mine, for example is
1st lap 2nd lap
113.6 100.31
where the first lap is from a standing start on the grid. My second
lap was better than my first, according to my HotLap.

Some folks are correct (they didn't register while on grid), but
others show the warmup lap (from standing start) and first hot
lap because the transducer recorded them on grid.

Paul.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Re: DNF's

Postby kary on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:16 pm

David J Marguglio wrote:I asked this question to the group from Buttonwillow and was ignored, so I will pose it again. Why are there such a high number of DNF's at a TT? Last weekend it was 19 out of 44 and I believe Buttonwillow was similar. Anyone???

I was at both events David, and the only thing I can say is most folks have had their fill of track time by Sunday afternoon. Our PCA events are plentiful with track time. They might also be out of tires, need to get home earlier, and then there is the heat. This past weekend was 101 and 104 repsectively which tends to encourage people to get the heck out of there early rather than later. There are also folks that just like to track the car without the competition, which I think is fine, to each their own.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:28 pm

Kary: in light of that, do you think that lends any weight to the discussion of more than one run session for time? Perhaps a loose timed session at the end of Saturday or Sunday morning and then a staged timing on Sunday afternoon? That would allow those that wanted to leave early to at least post a time. Just a thought.
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby Robert on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Paul is exactly right. You only registered 2 laps Kary, and so your times are accurate. Paul, your second actual timed run was 1:38.86 and it was your best, so your times are inaccurate. My own situation is like Paul's, which is how I caught the error. Tom Brown is working on the fix now and hopefully the correct results will be posted by tomorrow.
Robert
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:26 pm

David J Marguglio wrote:Kary: in light of that, do you think that lends any weight to the discussion of more than one run session for time? Perhaps a loose timed session at the end of Saturday or Sunday morning and then a staged timing on Sunday afternoon? That would allow those that wanted to leave early to at least post a time. Just a thought.

David,

I am not Kary but here is my 2 cents.

That really opens up a can of worms. Especially with the weather we had this weekend. I ran a 131.8 in timed runs but a 130.5 sunday morning in the "cool" air. It also takes me about 5 laps to get up to speed (see "Til they get big enough") and my timed runs are usually not my best laps at big tracks. Now if we took our fastest lap of the weekend for everyone as their official time I would be all for that.

As for the low number of drivers to run timed laps there were a few broken cars but lots of cars out of tires or other mechanical malodies. Heat is hard on cars! A lot of people were just beat and wanted to go home.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions