Thanks for a fun and well run D.E.

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Postby Jad on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:03 am

Not buying it Dan. Every racetrack I have been to and every race I watch on TV, the track gets faster once some tire rubber gets laid down. Thus everyone wants to qualify last.

I think any loss in time is either a function of the track changing with cones moving or being put back where they belong for timed runs or the heat of the day reducing HP, not grip. Tires are happy well into the 200 degree range which is never achieved at an AX, but is probably exceeded in a QDE which would result in loss of grip, but only because the tires are being overdriven and overheated. Slow down and cool the tires and the grip would be back.

So those are my caffeinated hypothesis.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:16 am

Awh, come on, Jad. You mean my theory didn't sound quite right? :roll: Actually, I was "hangin' it way out there", theory wise, to entertain you all. :lol: Afterall, if I'm going to be nicknamed Cliff Claven, I have to start sounding like him, no? :lol:

I'm more inclined to believe the reason we go slower in the PM, and/or loose grip is a function of course changes, as you mentioned, plus our individual comfort/knowledge of the track design and our wanting to "push it a little harder" each lap .... thus over-driving the tires/course... again, as you mentioned. The overall phenominon of slower PM laps may remain a mystery.... Isn't that what makes performance driving fun?

see ya next time.

DC
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:07 pm

I'm still holding on to the track temp hypothesis.

In qualifying, time is limited so I don't think track temp is a big variable. Later in the session would be better since the track is presumably cleaner, plus the grip improves from rubber laid down from the previous qualifers.

Is it an established fact that faster times are always later in the race environment? Drivers figure things out with time, execute better plus they can adjust their car settings, suspension, tires etc. to contend with changing track conditions. Those are a lots of variables that might overcome declining grip due to track temp.

No argument with heat reducing horsepower, and I agree autoxing does not bring tire overheating into play. At the QDE I just noticed such a big grip difference in the PM and I was driving more conservatively (honest :wink: ). I also slowed way down for a lap or two to see if the grip would come back and it did'nt improve appreciably.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby ajackson on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:48 pm

I think that traction going down as the track heats up is a common observation.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby David Ray on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:50 pm

Although, a great event, and sorry, I like the "small" turn out; changing, compromising, lessening, whatever you want to call it; a change to the rules or safety should be strictly forbidden by all members.
I personally don't think there should be a small fraction of the club that say it's ok to "lessen" the requirements nor do I want to be on the track if there is a mishap "just" because it's the "Q".

To here a member say "I would be in favor of allowing cars in stock and street stock to run with the same equipment as they need for autocross. Our present requirements seem too stringent especially for the Boxsters and Cabriolets. While I feel that the risks go up slightly from autocross to QDE, the parking lot is overall a very safe venue. It is also small enough that fire extinguishers are not needed and the risk of rollovers is also very small, and probably no greater than the risks seen in autocross. is a travesty after what has taken place at various venues during the last couple of months. The unknown can happen anywhere! Denise and Steve even made it a point of highlight this during the driver/instructor pairings and the subsequent driver meeting before the afternoon session.

The corner workers were so far a part it would have been difficult for them to respond to an incident not in their direct area. Additionally, I noticed that one of the corner workers had a physical impairment. Although this may sound insensitive, I wouldn’t have wanted to be involved in a mishap in her area. (We may want to screen the corner workers in the future)

There is NO compromise for safety! You’re alive or you’re on the wrong side of the turf.

To the Organizers - Great Event!
David Ray
Autocrosser

Postby Gary Burch on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:00 am

Jackie, I was not picking on you. Only using your experience Sunday as an example. That even the best instructor can be compromised by a given situation. I think it was Burl that was in a similar situation in the SE lot a couple of years ago. If that incident had happened at a DE, who knows what would have happened.

I don't think we need to decrease safety to increase business. That sounds like something the government would do.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Previous

Return to General Discussions